Screw Oklahoma! Screw Texas!

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
While I don't disagree, what could have been done? Adding non P5 schools would have done nothing but dilute payments more destabilizing the conference even more. Networks weren't going to pony up more money. The only thing that could have been pursued more is online partners, but not really until 2025.
Could've went after Louisville they would've been a good add to the conference

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Not having any clue was the problem. When your two power teams are talking to other conferences for about a year, and your office is in Texas, you gotta catch wind of that.

I guess I look at like your spouse cheating on you. If someone is intentionally concealing their behavior from you and giving you every indication that things are fine, are you supposed to be putting GPS trackers on their car?

I'm not really pro Bowlsby, I just see this as something that wasn't preventable at all.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I guess I look at like your spouse cheating on you. If someone is intentionally concealing their behavior from you and giving you every indication that things are fine, are you supposed to be putting GPS trackers on their car?

I'm not really pro Bowlsby, I just see this as something that wasn't preventable at all.
perhaps not preventable, but you should have a pulse on things better than it seems he did.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

20eyes

May 15, 2020
perhaps not preventable, but you should have a pulse on things better than it seems he did.
Why? BB is the last person UT/OU would want to know so I'm sure they went to extraordinary lengths to keep their intentions/meetings secret.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Why? BB is the last person UT/OU would want to know so I'm sure they went to extraordinary lengths to keep their intentions/meetings secret.

I'm sure in the grand scheme of things, these talks were probably only happening between 10-20 people max between OU, Texas, SEC, and ESPN. On the OU and Texas front, I would assume only the AD and president of each university knew about it as influencers outside the university acted as the channel (BOR types).

I fully believe that in the college sports world, no one saw this coming. If they did, we would be hearing rumors how the ACC, BIG 10, and PAC 12 heard wind of this. But we haven't even heard rumors of that.

Reactions: 20eyes

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
as an executive, it behooves you to know when some of your top contributors are looking to work elsewhere. they're not going to come right out and tell you, but you do what you can to keep a pulse on things.

I think there's a sentiment that BB has been asleep at the wheel. Does seem that this major development caught him by complete surprise.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
as an executive, it behooves you to know when some of your top contributors are looking to work elsewhere. they're not going to come right out and tell you, but you do what you can to keep a pulse on things.

I think there's a sentiment that BB has been asleep at the wheel. Does seem that this major development caught him by complete surprise.
I don't disagree that BB was probably less vigilant than he should've been. But this seems to have caught everyone off guard.

Of course you're right Dave about it behooving an executive to have a pulse on things and checking on those contributors. But in this case those contributors (UT/OU) shaped the framework of the conferences finances. So, presumably you'd expect them to be the HAPIEST contributors.

Further, it's likely that if BB directly engaged with UT/OU regarding this subject they'd just lie and obfuscate so as to hide their true intentions.

We simply can't underestimate the UT apparatus that exists to get it what it wants. It's more well financed and yes, SMARTER than any of the rest of us. This was going to happen and Bob wasn't going to stop it.

And btw, this IS going to happen, sooner rather than later. GOR, exit fees, lawsuits...doesn't matter. UT is going to win.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I guess Bowlsby should have been more committed to staring at a plane tracker website while wearing a tinfoil hat.

Help Support Us

Become a patron