Rundll32.exe problem

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I’m having some problem with my laptop that is infected by virus 2 weeks ago. A malware caused a pop-up saying that my computer was infected by viruses and then asked to buy a bogus anti-virus program.
I couldn’t run malwarebytes in the normal mode as the virus blocked it, so I ran it in the safe mode and malwarebytes removed all the infected files/programs, but still I can’t run anything in the normal mode (any applications like Word, Excel, internet explorer, firefox, as well as internet conntection, etc) as the rundl32.exe file can’t be found and asked what program this application should be run.
Any advice on this problem - I tried to restore the rundll32 but looks like either I didn't do it right or it doesn't work.
Thanks,

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Yes. First that was the problem, and then I got infected by this nasty malware. After I cleaned it up, I didn't get Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe question / pop up anymore but I couldn't run any programs.

I tried this but still have problems
***Find a copy of rundll32.exehttp://www.computing.net/process/rundll32 in folder c:\windows\system32\dllcache or in c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386.
If you find this, go ahead and copy rundll32.exe to the system folder c\windows\system32.

cjb1978

Apr 9, 2010
Des Moines, IA
How to Remove a RUNDLL32.EXE Error

A rundll.32.exe error occurs when Windows attempts to open a file, but for some reason, it encounters an issue and can't. This is normally due to a program being uninstalled improperly, leaving pieces of files and folder behind. Or perhaps a virus damaged the file that needs to be opened. Whatever the reason is, the rundll32.exe error must be corrected for the desired files to be opened and used

1. Step 1

Click the "Start" button on the desktop; then select "Run." This will load a new window containing just one search bar. Type "msconfig" into the bar and hit "Enter." This will open the Windows Configuration window.
  2. Step 2
    Choose "Selective Startup" by clicking the small circle next to it. There will several options below it. Only select one. To correct the rundll32.exe issue, you will have to perform each option one at a time, and it does not matter what order you go in. Click "OK" and then restart the computer
  3. Step 3
    Open up the Windows Configuration again by following the same procedures as in Step 1. An item will be identified as the root to the rundll32.exe error. Once the root of the error is detected, Windows Configuration will correct the issue.
  4. Step 4
    Repeat Step 2 and select a different option under "Selective Startup" if the previous reboot didn't produce any results to the root of rundll32.exe. If the root was detected, there is no need to continue with rebooting the system with different options selected. However, if nothing is detected after the second boot, continue on with the third boot and select a different option. Continue this until the problem is identified.

flinkpoyd01

Sep 27, 2009
SLC, UT
I have seen this a few times of late.

This is all assuming you are running XP.

First of all, make sure you have all the spyware/malware cleaned up.

Second, get out your XP installation disc and slap it in the drive. Open a command prompt (Start menu -> Run -> type "cmd"). In the command prompt box, type "sfc /scannow". This will start a scanning process that will look at all of your important Windows files and if they have been altered it will recopy the correct version from the Windows disc. This will take some time.

Third, many times you are still left with registry entries that are incorrect due to the malware/spyware making changes to the registry. No antispyware program will restore these so you need to set them back to the correct settings. Unzip the file attached and run the .reg key. It will ask if you want to import the registry settings, answer yes. Then try to open your applications and with any luck things should be working fine.

Let me know if you need more help.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I finally managed to make it work again by fixing the association using the registry editor. Now the exe files (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, etc) work again. However, my Firefox is still in the safe mode and when I started windows I got this message:

"RunDLL
Error loading: C:\WNDOWS\amefirawaxoz.dll
The specified module could not be found"
Any help/ideas will be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Help Support Us

Become a patron