Roofball

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Can’t say I played his rules, but pretty sure we did throw baseballs and such on the roof with a rule you had to catch it, or something.

I played "roofball" on a regular basis until my dad yelled at me about knocking the asphalt off the shingles. A short time later, I was forced to play "wallball". i.e. I was grounded to my room because I didn't listen.

• Funny
Reactions: NetflixAndClone

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I played "roofball" on a regular basis until my dad yelled at me about knocking the asphalt off the shingles. A short time later, I was forced to play "wallball". i.e. I was grounded to my room because I didn't listen.
Sad day when wallball is also banned. This dude’s mom just gave up though, now look at how successful his league is.

Reactions: Althetuna

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Never knew it was called Roofball.

I remember throwing it on top of our shed, and I'd try to guess where it was going to come off by the sound of shed roof rattling.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We played many versions of roof ball in the 1970s!

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Lol! If this guy can claim he "invented" this game I guess me and my brother can claim we invented catch.

I had a neighbor who liked to practice volleyball between our houses with his daughter. I guess they liked the fact the volleyball would bounce off the sides of the houses occasionally on a bad hit so they didnt have to go run the ball down. He was a renter, so not surprising he didn't give a damn about the long term effects of repeatedly slamming a volleyball against his siding, but I did care about my house. After the ball hit our house 4 or 5 times one evening, which scared the **** out of one of my daughters because her room was right up against where they liked to play, I had to go outside and ask they quit hitting the side of our house with the ball. I can't believe I actually had to ask, but at least they stopped after that.

Reactions: NWICY and isufbcurt

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Is this the new realignment thread? If so, half of you are stupid! Pods!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We did this with like a kickball but combined it with the 500 game and beating the crap out of each other.

Yes, indeed. That was a great version. We played dual-500. Half of us were on one side of the house and half were on the other. No rules. Just try to catch the ball or prevent others from catching it. It was awesome not being able to see the ball until it is over the ridge of the roof.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Yes, indeed. That was a great version. We played dual-500. Half of us were on one side of the house and half were on the other. No rules. Just try to catch the ball or prevent others from catching it. It was awesome not being able to see the ball until it is over the ridge of the roof.
Even better play it on a building where the roof line is about 20 feet off the ground so you don't see the ball until it is free falling off of the roof and you have 2-3 seconds to get there and catch it.

trigger1

May 21, 2008
Ames
Roofball? Do I get to claim pump house ball? As in marking a batters box rectangle on the concrete pump house wall to practice pitching between opening gates while dad was loading the manure spreader in the cattle lot? JFC. How about all those hours throwing the ball on the barn roof to learn how to catch fly balls? And every once in a while, a little too ambitious throw went over the roof causing a search for the baseball in the cattle lot often resulting in a wash off in the cattle tank before doing it all over again.

And how about all the kicking the football off the tee onto the roof of the machine shed, and then catching and "running it back". Got to kick off and return! Yeah, darn kids, get off my lawn. Been there done that. :)

Reactions: NWICY

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
My parents let me play roofball as a kid, I still chuck/kick/head balls up on my own roof when out with the kids. A little harder at my house as above my driveway is 2 story.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We did this with like a kickball but combined it with the 500 game and beating the crap out of each other.
My cousins and I did this too but had a swing set by their house. The person up for the kick had to kick the ball while swinging then jump off and run the bases. Epic and led to many fights but some of my best memories as a kid.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Wall Ball, 500, and Four Square were some unlocked childhood memories.

Wall Ball and Four Square at Summer Days (think summer camp but really just extended day care, you got dropped off and picked up for 6 weeks with activities each day like Bowling, Roller Skating, Water Park etc) in my elementary days in Alabama were like as serious as it came. The winners of the week got to go to lunch first and sit at a special table.

Plus it reminded me of the that playground in Alabama, it was UNBELIEVABLE and I haven't seen any elementary school playground like it. It literally was like 5 different biomes or zones and it took at least 15min just to round everyone up.

It had the basketball court which now looks like it is covered by trees on the far right near the main road on the right. The wooded section that had tons of tables for outdoor eating of lunch, ice cream, popcicles, and an unbelievably cold water pump to keep us hydrated. Plus the wooded section had a massive amount of wood playground equipment that was almost obstacle course like. Then you had the blacktop which you can still see the Four Square courts painted on but looks like they relocated them from where I played them. Plus the shed we played wall ball on looks like it's gone. The two massive swing sets, "the tower" and the plastic outdoor playground equipment that definitely gave me 5th degree burns in the July Alabama heat. Then the soccer/football field on the far left with the walking track. The diverse amount of options for a kid was unbelievable and I made a ton of memories at this damn playground.

IMG_2223.jpeg