Rhoads speaks on the Big 12 teleconference

BigJ4CY

Nov 30, 2012
Cedar Rapids
What ever the issues were, it is too bad that he wasn't able to get it figured out quickly and get back on track. He is a coach that would have been in it for the long haul and we wouldn't have had to worry about losing him to another program if he could have turned this thing around.

Hopefully the next coach can build on everything that has been done in the last 7 years and get us to the next level.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
What ever the issues were, it is too bad that he wasn't able to get it figured out quickly and get back on track. He is a coach that would have been in it for the long haul and we wouldn't have had to worry about losing him to another program if he could have turned this thing around.

Hopefully the next coach can build on everything that has been done in the last 7 years and get us to the next level.

I despise this line of thinking. I really hope every off season our coach is sought after. When they aren't sought after that means your coach isn't good at his job.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I am positive that he that he turned down other head coaching jobs in his first 4 years.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think there is a difference between a hire that will be "sought after" as you put it and one using ISU as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

The guy who shows up in Ames with a plan to leave, like Chizik, will never do the things to position ISU for long term success, such as develop good relationships with the high school coaches in Iowa and cultivate relationships with media and fans. They will do the things that advance their career with little thought of whether or not doing so benefits ISU at all.

Hiring a coach like that is a waste of time and money, and is what is behind Pollard's comments when he talks about "fitting in with the culture of ISU" in my opinion.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I think there is a difference between a hire that will be "sought after" as you put it and one using ISU as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

The guy who shows up in Ames with a plan to leave, like Chizik, will never do the things to position ISU for long term success, such as develop good relationships with the high school coaches in Iowa and cultivate relationships with media and fans. They will do the things that advance their career with little thought of whether or not doing so benefits ISU at all.

Chizik set Rhoads up for the success he had right out of the gate. Similarly hopefully Rhoads did the same for his predecessor.

At the end of the day their job is to win football games. If they do that and leave they held up their end of the bargain.

And Chizik wasn't planning to leave. He'd turned down Auburn's offer until his wife stepped in.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Klenakis was a cancer who undermined other staff and players is what I was told a long time ago. Have no details.

And it sure seems like M Mangino was the same. Messingham just didn't have the ability, see Peter Principle. Things started heading in the right direction half way through this season, but the KSU game could not be forgiven in light of these other mistakes.

Klenakis and Mangina were a couple of the biggest cancers in Paul's career here. And Mess was a poor, poor choice at a time when some real leadership was needed. A lot of people came on Fanatic and tried to say that Paul had lost the players and had lost the locker room. But that part wasn't true; at least as it related to Paul. Coaching personnel decisions fall back on CPR's shoulders as the boss. I think this was his biggest downfall as a head coach, and it makes me sad for what could have been.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Chizik set Rhoads up for the success he had right out of the gate. Similarly hopefully Rhoads did the same for his predecessor.

At the end of the day their job is to win football games. If they do that and leave they held up their end of the bargain.

And Chizik wasn't planning to leave. He'd turned down Auburn's offer until his wife stepped in.

I highly DOUBT that Chiz wasn't ready to go. Hell he was one year away from the hot seat himself at ISU. Only a fool wouldn't have jumped on that offer considering GC first 2 years. Now I don't doubt that it was a shock that the job came open.

I think we'll look back at this and realize this was a big mistake. My guess is we're looking at another low level or coordinator that will be learning on the job again. At least CPR had 7 years of learning already paid for...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

What? How do you know this? I've read lots of wacky stuff by and about his wife, but not this.

H8fkr

Aug 29, 2012
I think we'll look back at this and realize this was a big mistake. My guess is we're looking at another low level or coordinator that will be learning on the job again. At least CPR had 7 years of learning already paid for...

No evidence that Rhoads did ANY learning. Years 5,6,7 of CPR with 3 wins, 2 wins, 3 wins. Get off his jock, he's gone.

QuickQuestion

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
You moron...Fredo sold out his family and took sides with the enemy, trying to assassinate his brother. These two aren't even analogous. WTF did CPR ever do in that respect?

You should have your Godfather poster ripped from your bedroom door. Might be the absolute worst comparison I've ever read.

You're not on this site enough, if this is case.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron