Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
There is something very wrong with college football is schools like Vandervilt, Wake Forrest, Duke, Boston College, Northwestern, Maryland, Washington State, etc.. are power 5 but Iowa State isn't. Those schools can barely draw 30,000 of their own fans to a game. For example Northwesters attendance is boosted by visiting schools.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
And from this list only Buffalo, CU, ISU, and KU aren’t part of a long-term grant of rights agreement. I wouldn’t see Colorado jumping from the PAC 12 and don’t think Buffalo is a serious contender. The biggest question would be does the B1G decide to expand or stay at 14
My feeling is if the major shift happens, all the conferences will move to jump to try to equal out. Because they want to stay on par with the SEC in their push to take over the NCAA and become the super conference. Which means I think you will see all of the conferences jumping to 16 to 20 teams, becoming 4 super conferences in a bid to call the shots.

This is about NIL and power, and pushing out the NCAA. In that scenario who knows, and quite honestly I think the fuse has already been lit, if this is not a power play to get a broadcaster to the table, then the its the beginning of the end. TX and OU will go to the SEC and if the SEC wont take them they will be in the PAC 12, and that will force the others to move to pick off the others while they can.

Its going to be a mess.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
slept on it....

Bowlsby was talking about how 20 million cable subs have been lost since the last tv deal.... Rumors that the Big12 came to ESPN hoping they could strike a deal early. ESPN said no.

My thoughts are that Texas and OU see that the next TV rights deal $$$ will be significantly lower than now. Texas is probably losing money on the LHN. So they are ok with losing it.

Texas and OU are ok with joining the SEC for equal money to now because not joining means you will be losing A LOT soon.

If you've ever watched the SEC network. they have like 16 channels and you can watch EVERYTHING. Texas has prob be assured they will have whatever university sport on there.

and OU is jumping for the money as well.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Probably none. Who the hell is going back to watch a horrible football team? Once they get their upgrades done they'll have a chance to be competitive. They've had success in the past there. They are kind of in the same position ISU was in the early 90's when the facilities were awful and maybe 20k went to games.

20k people don’t go to their games.

Legend12

May 9, 2008
Not sure of any official invites or when or what those circumstances may have been, or what the byelaws may have included regarding such additions at that time. Notre Dame is a special circumstance in many respects though.

"byelaws"

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Woke up to 45 pages of this. So, if this has already been discussed, forgive me.
Most, if not all, of the posts have been about the 'product'. Product changes (see TX, KS, Neb, etc). Why are we ignoring the potential of new 'networks'. There are several internet companies salivating at entering into the CFB landscape. Even if OK and TX leave, the B12 is still a viable P5 conference, it sits in the most attractive 'media' timezone, and (for those still convinced population density plays a role) there are plenty of urban universities to pick from to expand to a P5/16 conference. That, in turn, presents a VERY attractive product to one of multiple internet companies that have 'alternative' revenue. 'Alternative' revenue is huge here. ESPN is still suffering, but Disney is carrying. Fox might be a target of an internet company to weigh in. The others are afterthoughts in the ever changing dynamics of streaming.
Also, this whole thing is all about 'marketing'. Growing up the SEC wasn't even in the same league as the Big-8, Big-10, and Pac-10. BUT, as is quite evident they're the king of the hill .... now. Play the cards right and the B12 can survive to be what the SEC is today. But, we need some good card players representing the conference.
The best plays by the B12 at this point are, simultaneously ...
- open channels/options to B10
- open channels/options to Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc
- open channels to urban universities and all current viable independents
- strengthen the existing B12 member relationship (by default TX leaving will do this)

I know getting one of the big internet companies to stream the conference will be the foot in the door to the future. Get Google or Amazon and game over. Get Facebook, Apple or Microsoft and life line extended.

Last edited:

MavHockey14

Jul 18, 2021
And you are basing this on?

Lets see where ISU games sit from 2020.

How many times in 2020 season did ISU fball game rank in the Top 10 most watched college football game for that week? According to Sports media watch:

(9)....(9)weeks of the (17) weeks...Week 17 includes all bowl games.

Heck ISU Fiesta bowl had more viewers than OU/FL bowl.

How many did Kstate have ? (5). Just for comparison.

Having a winning fball program and a Top 10 fball team heading into 2021 you better believe makes a difference when looking at teams that drive $$$.

I can assure you that if ISU were added to the big ten with Matt Campbell leading the program, that there would be 5 or 6 big ten programs that would fall below ISU in TV viewership.
Sure… but almost all of those eyeballs already have Big Ten Network due to Iowa being in the state. It’s not a difficult concept to understand.

Not to mention, historically, ISU isn’t a value add, and nationally the prevailing thought is CMC is out of town after this year.

Last edited:

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
I know getting one of the big internet companies to stream the conference will be the foot in the door to the future. Get Google or Amazon and game over. Get Facebook, Apple or Microsoft and life line extended.

the theory is that this isn't really about eye balls on the product anymore. people who care about a university athletics will find it.

If you read cdub column... the thought is that college sports as we know it is about to major shift (NIL, Transfers, etc) with SEC leading the way. Texas and OU see this and will join instead of being left behind

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
This is Big 12 Game of Thrones. Texas is the Lannisters. Okies are the Tyrells. ISU is the Starks. I'm not sure about the rest of the casting yet.

But the ravens are flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Here's the flaw in your premise. OU and TX are the draws of the Big 12. Without them the Big 12 is the AAC.
I see your point, but if that were the case, the AFC would never exist, the SEC would never exist and I'm sure there are more. There is still a market for eyeballs and where that exists teams/conferences can rise. Also, let's not forget that when it comes to the current CFP, the B12 hasn't exactly been lighting it up. Remain a P5/16 and you're still part of the footprint which has to be recognized.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
the theory is that this isn't really about eye balls on the product anymore. people who care about a university athletics will find it.

If you read cdub column... the thought is that college sports as we know it is about to major shift (NIL, Transfers, etc) with SEC leading the way. Texas and OU see this and will join instead of being left behind
I see that, but ISU's recent success isn't about the most popular or highly rated prospects, but rather the aggregate product on the field. That won't change no matter who is 'bought'. That will always be the case. And, again, the SEC was a complete nobody a long time ago. And the Pac-10 was a BIG somebody. But things change. They always do. The only obstruction to remaining P5/16 is the SEC exhibiting illegal tactics to leverage TV contracts to squeeze out otherwise viable conferences. That'd get the courts really quickly.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This is not good. Not good at all. What we need now more than ever is one thing and one thing only in this thread:

EdARQjs.gif

JLH

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Iowa state takes down BCS (see okie state). Iowa state takes down big 12 (see competing, even beating Tx and Ou). Perception is reality and ISU has terrible national perception. It’s not reality but there’s just too many gullible idiots out there.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I see people are still freaking out over logistically impossible scenarios. I still stand by that this is a game of chicken. That’s exactly what we saw last time. All of the discussion was Oklahoma and Texas leaving but they stayed and other schools lost the game of chicken.

A world where we are just talking about Texas and OU moving to the SEC logistically is stupid. It provides no benefit to those two that they don’t already have in the Big 12.

If they are leaving the Big 12 it is for a breakaway organization from the NCAA. If that is the case We will be fine and we will be included. We may not get a say in how it works but we would be in it.

Iowa State is a million times more attractive of an option now than they were last time. What matters now is who is going to pay for streaming games not people in the market. Since then we have drastically improved our facilities and finally shown we can compete in football. We have amazing support in 3 of the 4 or the top 3 sports. Whatever happens we will be fine. I trust Pollard to handle this.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron