Recruits - Seniors and Juniors

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Coaches said they are going to be on the road a lot the next 2 weeks recruiting.
I assume a lot of State tournaments.

When is Ohio State tourney? (To watch David Carr)
Other Juniors in top 20 in class
- Decatur to Ohio State (Committed but not signed), Brady,
When is New Jersey tourney? (To watch Chris Foca)
Other Juniors in the 20 in class
- Ramirez to Cornell, Raimo to ASU (Both committed, but not signed), Cannon
When is National Prep tourney? What schools go there and not there state tourney?

Who are some guys from Iowa State tourney that we might try for yet? (seniors or juniors)
Nick Oldham of Valley (Junior), same as Shapiro and Stotts?
Eric Faught (Junior)of Clear Lake
Aden Reeves (Junior) of Albia, how solid is he to Campbell and Kolat? (Committed, but not signed)
Shea Ruffridge (Senior)of Poky Area, committed to Grand View. Can we talk to him, since he is signed with an NAIA school or is that tampering?
Matt Robertson (Senior) & Julian Broderson (Junior) at Assumption coached by Pete Bush (Danny's dad)

When is Colorado State tourney? (Cohlton Schultz)

Any others?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
That Reeves kid from Albia is a pit bull.

I hope we originally did not have a need for Reeves (pre Vega, Marmojo (sp??), Storr) and he committed to Campbell. I am not sure if he projects 125-141, but we have a need now.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Coaches said they are going to be on the road a lot the next 2 weeks recruiting.

When is National Prep tourney? What schools go there and not there state tourney?

Who are some guys from Iowa State tourney that we might try for yet? (seniors or juniors)
Aden Reeves (Junior) of Albia, how solid is he to Campbell and Kolat? (Committed, but not signed)
Shea Ruffridge (Senior)of Poky Area, committed to Grand View. Can we talk to him, since he is signed with an NAIA school or is that tampering?
Matt Robertson (Senior) & Julian Broderson (Junior) at Assumption coached by Pete Bush (Danny's dad)

Any others?

Colorado was this past weekend. Cohlton Schultz pinned his guy in the finals.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Anyone have a list of guys we have offered or are in contact with for 2019? Haven't seen much other than Foca. Also curious about some under the radar 2018 recruits that might still be available.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I hope we originally did not have a need for Reeves (pre Vega, Marmojo (sp??), Storr) and he committed to Campbell. I am not sure if he projects 125-141, but we have a need now.
Reeves is a career 125 pounder. In fact, my concern is he may be a small 125. Have watched him for 10 years and he has always been advance and more mature/developed than other kids. Definitely, has a ton of skills.

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014

Any others?

Reeves - is tight with Zach Barnes (Southeast Polk) who is already at Campbell. Don't see him swaying much

Ruffridge is signed so Grand View would need to release him from scholarship.

Robertson - also signed with Grand View.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe and buf87

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
National Prep Tourney finished up today. We had coaches there, not sure which ones.
Finals Results
106 Ryan Miller (Blair Academy) DEC Cooper Flynn (Mcdonogh School), 3-1

113 Trevor Mastrogiovanni (Blair Academy) DEC Kurt Mchenry (Saint Paul`s School For Boys), 3-1 SV

120 Charles Escalera (Wyoming Seminary) DEC Michael Colaiocco (Blair Academy), 9-6

126 Beau Bartlett (Wyoming Seminary) DEC Chris Cannon (Blair Academy), 7-4

132 Jack Davis (Wyoming Seminary) DEC Travis Mastrogiovanni (Blair Academy), 3-2

138 Carson Manville (Wyoming Seminary) DEC Malcolm Robinson (Blair Academy), 2-1

145 Connor Kievman (Wyoming Seminary) DEC Chase Mccollum (Haverford), 7-5

152 William Kaiser (Blair Academy) DEC Nathan Thacker (Gonzaga), 3-1

160 Andrew Merola (Blair Academy) F Mason Reiniche (Baylor School), 2:42

170 Julian Ramirez (Blair Academy) MD Jackson Turley (St Christophers), 12-3

182 Leonardo Tarantino (Blair Academy) DEC Darrien Roberts (Wyoming Seminary), 3-2

195 Michael Beard (Malvern Prep) F Yaraslau Slavikouski (Northfield Mount Hermon School), 0:53

220 Owen Trephan (Blair Academy) MD Michael Doggett (Wyoming Seminary), 13-4

285 Colin Lawler (Kinkaid School) F Pj Mustipher (Mcdonogh School), 3:39

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Would be great to get in with Blair and Wyoming Seminary.

The Mastrogiovanni boys looked good. They are freshman at 132 and Sophomore at 113

McHenry is a junior, but looked small at 113. Very talented kid and a World Champ in freestyle.

Both 160 pounders are committed to Cornell. Merola is a senior and Reiniche is a junior.

Beard at 195 is going to PSU.

Much more impressed with the 113 to 138 pounders than most the other weights.

There was a good 195 pounder I watch earlier in the tourney, but he got hurt in the quarters.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 6scrapper7

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
Eric Faught and Julian Broderson are for real. They've developed a lot since last year. It will be fun to see how much they improve this next year.
Too bad we can't get Reeves because he's a machine, the total package who has one speed.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Eric Faught and Julian Broderson are for real. They've developed a lot since last year. It will be fun to see how much they improve this next year.
Too bad we can't get Reeves because he's a machine, the total package who has one speed.

I'm going to come off like a giant **** here so I profusely apologize in advance. I disagree with your "for real" comment. With all due respect these guys are good Iowa high school wrestlers but we need to be aiming higher to become a perennial top 5-10 team. Faught, for instance, just finished his junior year and hasn't even won a state title and his national accomplishments aren't eye popping. I'm not saying the coaches shouldn't at all recruit these type of kids but "for real" is high praise to me.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
IMO, Lance Runyon definitely should be included and John Henrich and Anthony Zach also have arguments. Interesting to see who progresses in the off-season. Also, Reeves should be higher. Quite a bit separation between Reeves and Oldham.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Broderson wrestled at War at West Gym too though, and got MD 12-4 by Tyler Buesgens, an ISU commit. I thought that was a really encouraging result for our guy.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron