Recruiting Woes

Spam

May 21, 2008
[video=youtube;9VLIkxEbCWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VLIkxEbCWA[/video]

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
Once Rhoads started using the fact that our kick off temperatures average 62 degrees, I knew he had absolutely no clue how to recruit kids and was grasping at anything he could that might sound good to pitch to players. No wonder our talent lags well behind other schools.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
No one liked his attitude.

I don't know if you're serious or not, but I'm pretty sure he was regarded as a good teammate and good student-athlete while at UNI. Farley had nothing but praise for him all 4 years, at least publicly. Maybe you know something we don't.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
[video=youtube;9VLIkxEbCWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VLIkxEbCWA[/video]

Thanks, good stuff. He looked like a man against boys out there. Unfortunately that's about the way he looked against us, and I wonder how much better a qb Sam would have been with DJ to hand off and throw to the last few years. I see he had a 100 yard kick-off return against the Bears today.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Did I hear something that the airport being 45 minutes away is a problem? What.......other universities have airstrips on campus? Outside of a hotel next to the airport.........45 minutes from p/u to destination is nothing.
Ohio State has their own airport.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Can people stop fugging comparing our situation to FCS teams?

Is it OK if I compare our situation w/ thee University of Kansas???? Tom Hedrick used to always whine about the jayhawkers not being able to get footballers to visit Lawrence KS.........

It might just be a Losers Syndrome.............

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Is it OK if I compare our situation w/ thee University of Kansas???? Tom Hedrick used to always whine about the jayhawkers not being able to get footballers to visit Lawrence KS.........

It might just be a Losers Syndrome.............

You can do whatever you want. We aren't comparable to teams playing at a lower level.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
I don't know if you're serious or not, but I'm pretty sure he was regarded as a good teammate and good student-athlete while at UNI. Farley had nothing but praise for him all 4 years, at least publicly. Maybe you know something we don't.

I'm also not sure he could read.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
I'm also not sure he could read.

That's completely contrary to what I heard from someone whose kid went to school with him, but it must be wrong. Although, I think showing up to class 1/2 the time in the Clinton school district probably gets you a 3.0.

Either way, there had to be a reason that such an obvious talent got no real offers. He was 10 x's better than any RBs that Iowa State or Iowa took.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Are you putting Mangino into the same category as Snyder? Come on.

Snyder has a place in college football history whereas Mangino is a small footnote
Exactly. Yet Mangino did it at KU. That's the entire point. You don't need a Snyder...a local airstrip, a big city with bright lights lined with palm trees and Hooters girls every block to find a coach who can get the job done. Now we aren't talking about becoming the next Alabama. We are talking about a group that could give us some 7-8 win seasons, sprinkle in a couple of 3 or 4's after a good class graduates. And with that said.......even when you lose, at least look like you have an idea what the game of football is about.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
During the broadcast the announcers were saying Paul Rhodes blamed lack of success on recruiting woes caused by the fact that he can't bring recruits to Ames(and once he does, does well). Not sure I'm completely buying it.... Not only does this team have pretty good talent, but other teams who aren't necessarily in football hotbeds and possibly worse locations, even worse levels(for example ND state and Montana) can field talent just fine. Plus, the basketball team seems to be able to get recruits and JUCO players to visit just fine. What do you all think of this?

I guess I just can't agree. At what positions do you see a bevy of above average to great talent outside of WR? Look at QB, RB, OL, TE, DL, LB just to name a few.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Exactly. Yet Mangino did it at KU. That's the entire point. You don't need a Snyder...a local airstrip, a big city with bright lights lined with palm trees and Hooters girls every block to find a coach who can get the job done. Now we aren't talking about becoming the next Alabama. We are talking about a group that could give us some 7-8 win seasons, sprinkle in a couple of 3 or 4's after a good class graduates. And with that said.......even when you lose, at least look like you have an idea what the game of football is about.

Mangino did it at KU at the pinnacle of the spread where defenses hadn't had time to fully evaluate and counter. We need the NEW Mangino.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa and Iowa State were recruiting David Johnson to be a LB, UNI said he would be a RB for them

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
But neither even offered a scholarship.

In an article in the register a few months ago Johnson said Iowa wanted him to greyshirt and ISU wanted him to walk on. And Farley said I can't believe those guys are getting paid millions.

Help Support Us

Become a patron