RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
Well if he picks DePaul, we know 6 straight NCAA appearances and Top10 fan base don't mean a lot from his perspective. Of course his pg friend, coach, and all will try to convince him that if he commits there, they could reach it next season, I suppose.

Idk, considering all the work put in by this staff, and his juco coach quoting/raving especially how important that is to him, I just think he would have committed by now. Totally different scenario, I realize, but it feels like Vaughn all over again as far as being excited about a guy, but one that may never come here. Articles indicate he's quiet and doesn't boast recruiting, etc. Maybe ISU is 'too big of a stage' for his liking, personality wise only. (I know many of you are laughing at that right now)

You bring up good points. I'm hearing he might commit to DePaul this weekend or early next week. Although DePaul is one of the worst P6 schools, players like Juiston have the mindset that if they go there they will turn it around and have success and win lots of games. That rarely ever happens though

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
You bring up good points. I'm hearing he might commit to DePaul this weekend or early next week. Although DePaul is one of the worst P6 schools, players like Juiston have the mindset that if they go there they will turn it around and have success and win lots of games. That rarely ever happens though

This is sad to read. All that work and he literally goes and plays 'with old acquaintances'. Too bad he didn't give CSP the heads up a lot earlier.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This is sad to read. All that work and he literally goes and plays 'with old acquaintances'. Too bad he didn't give CSP the heads up a lot earlier.
Well, he hasn't committed yet, and give the heads up on what? That we weren't the only ones he's considering? If we get caught in a bad spot because we went too all-in on a recruit that was always going to look at all his options that's all on us, not him.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Well if he picks DePaul, we know 6 straight NCAA appearances and Top10 fan base don't mean a lot from his perspective. Of course his pg friend, coach, and all will try to convince him that if he commits there, they could reach it next season, I suppose.

Idk, considering all the work put in by this staff, and his juco coach quoting/raving especially how important that is to him, I just think he would have committed by now. Totally different scenario, I realize, but it feels like Vaughn all over again as far as being excited about a guy, but one that may never come here. Articles indicate he's quiet and doesn't boast recruiting, etc. Maybe ISU is 'too big of a stage' for his liking, personality wise only. (I know many of you are laughing at that right now)

Hey man when you have a chance to play for a team that has had more single digit win seasons (8) than 20 win seasons (5) over the last 25 years you have to do it.

But hey Leitao has 2 of them!

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I feel like Ricky Roma in Glengarry Glenn Ross.

Depaul????

Depaul!!!!!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
DePaul has finished...

7th
9th
10th

...the past few seasons in the Big East.

The trend is not in the "right" direction, by the way.

St. John's finished ahead of them last year. Remember that flaming mess?

6 + 3 + 2 = their total conference wins over that span, otherwise known as 11.

ISU went 12-6 in the Big 12 last year.

We added three more two years ago and three more this year to win the conference tournament twice... and, of course 3/4 years in front of roaring crowds in Kansas City.

I mean, if that is what he wants, so be it, but I thought this kid wanted to play and win.

If his friends are at DePaul, then he needs to make new ones (and keep the old ones, never say goodbye to them) who are better at basketball.

I know some guys named Donovan, Nick, Solomon, and Lindell that he can start with.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Too bad they don't realize they can come to ISU and be that player that helps the program stay on top and maybe get to some amazing highs.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
DePaul has finished...

7th
9th
10th

ISU went 12-8 in the Big 12 last year.

I mean, if that is what he wants, so be it, but I thought this kid wanted to play and win.

Sometimes the AAU coach has more pull than anyone in a kids decision.

• Agree
Reactions: goclones69

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
DePaul has finished...

7th
9th
10th

ISU went 12-8 in the Big 12 last year.

I mean, if that is what he wants, so be it, but I thought this kid wanted to win.
You mean we went (15) 12-6 .

Sure, but you can't fault a guy for thinking that he and his buddy together can turn around a program.

He's a huge recruit for us, but let's not treat him like he is going Vaughn on us. I hope he values the respect and effort Prohm has put in to prove to him he's our guy, and that he values the opportunity to be the next great creating forward for a good program. But if the lure of connections to his past in NJ are more important that's reasonable.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You mean we went (15) 12-6 .

Sure, but you can fault a guy for thinking that he and his buddy together can turn around a program.

He's a huge recruit for us, but let's not treat him like he is going Vaughn on us.

I noticed one or two errors. I fixed it in editing.

No, I will not be mad if he goes elsewhere -- I never am as long as we had a shot and everything was above the level. I would still say "thank you for the opportunity, good luck with your choice" if it ends up that way. I know what a big decision this is for a young man.

Vaughn is an obvious exception -- sounds like his misled the staff, and way too many whispers about something sketchy going down at UNLV to "aww shucks" that one.

Does not mean I have to understand it for basketball reasons, though.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
Once he makes it official, you have to think the staff will put the full court press on Morrow. I know hes not eligible for next year, but you have to start to think about the future and hope Lard, Kasongo, and Young can hold down the front court next year

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
This is one is a done deal to Depaul. Hopefully Lard and Young are ready. Babb can also play the 4 in some small ball.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If he does commit to DePaul, I hope it gives us a nice push with Morrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.