RECRUITING: 2017 Spring Game visitors

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
The spring game is one of Iowa State's best opportunities to show off the program during the spring months and they'll be taking full advantage of that this weekend. There's 14 prospects so far confirming they'll be at the Cyclones' final spring practice on Saturday and the list includes some pretty impressive names.

We'll start with prospects in the 2018 class:

*** Noah Shannon - Defensive Tackle - 6-2, 270-pound - Oswego, Ill.

Shannon is rated as a three-star prospect by 247Composite. He's the No. 794 prospect in the class, No. 54 defensive tackle and No. 11 player in the state of Illinois. He holds an offer from Iowa State as well as Arkansas, Cincinnati, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia and a handful of other Division I programs.

*** Zidane Thomas - Running Back - 5-9, 195-pound - Peoria, AZ

Thomas is rated as a two-star recruit by Scout and Iowa State is his only reported offer. He was a Class 5A All-State selection in Arizona after his junior season. He's reportedly also drawn interest from Arizona, Arizona State, South Florida and Colorado. He rushed for 2,329 yards and 22 touchdowns as a junior.

*** Mario Goodrich - Athlete - 6-2, 180-pound - Lees Summit, MO

Goodrich is rated as a four-star prospect by 247Composite. He's the No. 18 athlete in the class and No. 277 prospect overall. He's rated by 247 as the No. 120 prospect in the class, No. 4 athlete and No. 4 player in the Missouri. He holds an Iowa State offer as well as Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa, Kansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Minnesota and a handful of other schools. He unofficially visited Nebraska in the fall and will attend the Huskers' spring game next weekend. Iowa State was one of his first Power 5 offers when they offered on Oct. 13.

*** Marquan McCall - Offensive Guard - 6-3, 280-pound - Oak Park, MI

McCall is a four-star prospect rated as the No. 97 player in the class by 247Composite. He's the No. 4 offensive guard in the class and No. 1 player from Michigan. He unofficially visited Iowa State on Feb. 11 and picked up an offer from the Cyclones the next day. His offer list also includes Michigan, Michigan State, Tennessee, Missouri, Ole Miss, Penn State, TCU, Wisconsin and a handful of other schools.

*** Jayden Reed - Wide Receiver - 5-11, 155-pound - Aurora, IL

Reed is rated as a three-star prospect by 247 and is the No. 140 WR in the class. He's the No. 934 prospect in the class and No. 19 player in Illinois. He currently holds offers from Miami (OH), Toledo and Western Michigan.

*** Bryson Williams - Defensive Tackle - 6-2, 255-pound - Lincoln, NE

Williams isn't rated by 247 and doesn't have a Composite rating, but he visited Ames on March 9. His offer list currently includes Iowa, Kansas State, Ohio, Navy, UCF and a handful of other schools. He participated in Nike's The Opening in Chicago this past weekend.

*** Henry Janeway - Defensive End - 6-5, 205-pound - Utica, MI

Janeway isn't rated by 247 and doesn't have a Composite rating. He's been on unofficial visits to Michigan State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Cincinnati and a few other schools. He made 59 tackles and nine sacks during his junior year.

*** Grant Gonya - Kicker - 5-8, 150-pound - Hudson, OH

Gonya is rated as a four and a half-star prospect by Chris Sailer Kicking and is the No. 47 kicker in the class by the same service. He set an Ohio high school record with 17-straight made field goals.

*** Logan Klemp - Outside Linebacker - 6-3, 200-pound - Jewell, IA

Klemp has made 122.5 tackles, eight sacks, 14 tackles for loss and seven interceptions during his first three season for South Hamilton. He attended Iowa State's Junior Day on Feb. 18 and doesn't currently hold any offers.

*** Alex Allen - Tight End/Defensive End - 6-6, 220-pound - Nixa, MO

Allen is the younger brother of Iowa State tight end Chase Allen. He currently holds offers from Army and Wyoming.

*** Tariq Brown - Wide Receiver - 6-0, 175-pound - West Des Moines, IA

Brown caught 15 passes for 274 yards and seven touchdowns last season for Valley. He unofficially visited Iowa State twice in the fall and doesn't currently hold any offers.

Now for prospects in the 2019 class:

*** Tymon Mitchell - Defensive Tackle - 6-3, 287-pound, Nashville, TN

Mitchell currently holds offers from Iowa State, Louisville and Vanderbilt. He's unofficially visited Vanderbilt twice since the start of February. Iowa State is listed as the first school to offer him on his 247 profile.

*** Dwan Mathis - Quarterback - 6-4, 185-pound - Belleville, MI

Mathis is Iowa State's lone commit in the 2019 class. He also holds offers from Akron, Cincinnati, Kentucky and Toledo. He committed to the Cyclones after an unofficial visit on Feb. 11.

*** Ezra Miller - Offensive Tackle - 6-6, 287-pound - Holstein, IA

Miller doesn't have an Iowa State offer as of now but he picked one up from Iowa on March 5. He unofficially visited Iowa State last fall.

I'll update this post if I hear anymore names before now and Saturday. I'll have a post on the front page with highlight videos of every player (most likely on Friday) but the forum only allows so many media links.

Last edited:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Hard to believe Zidane Thomas only has one offer. Looks like a dynamic RB. Has a little Darren Sproles look to his style.

Shannon, Goodrich, and McCall are all elite recruits. It would be awesome to get any of them.

I hope all the recruits really enjoy their visit.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
The weather is going to be great - go tailgate and fill the stadium to show these guys the type of fan support they will have!

• Friendly
Reactions: brycy

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Hard to believe Zidane Thomas only has one offer. Looks like a dynamic RB. Has a little Darren Sproles look to his style.

Shannon, Goodrich, and McCall are all elite recruits. It would be awesome to get any of them.

I hope all the recruits really enjoy their visit.

Yeah, Thomas was one that really intrigued me watching his film. He has the stats to back up his skill too. Sounds like his situation has been a little different as he briefly moved to Florida earlier this year then went back Arizona.

Reactions: bozclone

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Hearing Marquan McCall will no longer be visiting this weekend. Obviously, he would've been a big-time player to get on campus but he won't be making the trip. I updated the front page post to reflect that.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Three-star Peoria, Illi. offensive tackle Marques Cox is in attendance at Jack Trice Stadium. He has six offers including one from Iowa State. The No. 78 OT in the class.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I am surprised with all the visitors and great turnout over the weekend their is not more news, maybe a commitment... Any updates?

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If there had been a commitment, you would know. I've posted two updates since Saturday and I have four more in the chamber to come out this week.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/2017/04/r...-ezra-miller-picks-up-isu-offer-during-visit/

http://cyclonefanatic.com/2017/04/recruiting-visit-to-ames-surprises-19-lineman-tymon-mitchell/
Trust me my comment is no slight on your coverage, it has been great. I was just more hopeful, I guess it is way earlier than usual all things considered under past HC's summer camp was usually first commitment, if at all.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Trust me my comment is no slight on your coverage, it has been great. I was just more hopeful, I guess it is way earlier than usual all things considered under past HC's summer camp was usually first commitment, if at all.

No, jburke it was a slight and you are now my enemy. No more recruiting updates for you!

[jimlad]

• Funny
Reactions: jburke