Ready to drink the Kool-Aid

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Are you taking over or under if you set the bar at 8 conference wins?? Cuz anything 8 or fewer means no dance. Even 9-9 would be iffy depending on quality wins I assume.

When was the last time a Big 12 team was left out of the NCAA with 9 wins in the conference? I honestly don't know, but I'd bet it hasn't happened in years.

I think our fans tend to think we've barely made the tournament the last 4 or so years. But, in reality, we've been solidly in. Lots of teams that are just average make the tournament each year. Kansas State last year would be an example of that. Hell, Oklahoma State last year is an example of that. Double Hell, Iowa is an example of that a lot of years.

Look at the field of 68 and you will see a lot of teams that you would consider not any good.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
When was the last time a Big 12 team was left out of the NCAA with 9 wins in the conference? I honestly don't know, but I'd bet it hasn't happened in years.

I think our fans tend to think we've barely made the tournament the last 4 or so years. But, in reality, we've been solidly in. Lots of teams that are just average make the tournament each year. Kansas State last year would be an example of that. Hell, Oklahoma State last year is an example of that. Double Hell, Iowa is an example of that a lot of years.

Look at the field of 68 and you will see a lot of teams that you would consider not any good.

well...in 2015-16 Texas Tech was 9-9 and didn't go dancing, I don't think anyway. Just saying its never a sure benchmark.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Unless things have changed I'm not expecting much out of Long.
Yeah, nobody seems to be. Not sure if that's good or bad. When they signed him, I thought he might end up being a good "D and 3" guy. It's hard to know how much injuries hurt him his freshman year (part of me wonders why he wasn't red-shirted since he was hurt and never got a competitive minute all year).

If he doesn't get any real playing time as a sophomore ...

• Useful
Reactions: Cydar

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
From what I understand. J Long could start on the football team as a wideout next season. Kid was really good and decided to stick with basketball instead of football. I won't throw him out yet. You just have to look at Naz Long and Matt Thomas. Then again he could be the next SDW. We should be able to tell something by the end of the season. Also, If Prohm hands out one extra scholarship more than what we have right now. That will tell us someone is gone.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
And they weren't even on the bubble at 9-9. They were an 8 seed. I would sign up for 9-9 this season in a heart beat. I've got us at 7-11 right now. Just think we're relying on a lot of things to go right... really hope they do obviously.
So you have them 7-2 at home and 0-9 on the road, or something different?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Good post. This is everyone's friendly gunner reminder that it's not that hard to make the tournament in this era.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I can't wait to see how this team comes together this season. I'm setting my expectations at an NIT bid, and think we are setting up for a nice run in 18/19. Would love to see that team play in Des Moines for the NCAA tournament.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I think I'll enjoy watching the team this season, not sure I'll enjoy CF (as I expect us to struggle some and have some lousy games) and people will melt down and overreact.

key to the season to me is Brase. a healthy 6'9" guy who can defend, rebound, and hit 3's would be huge for us. can he adjust to the big12? can he recover from injury and stay healthy? I hope so.

a couple more good recruits this fall, + shayok/jacobsen with our current young talent keeps me just as excited about next year and beyond.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
And they weren't even on the bubble at 9-9. They were an 8 seed. I would sign up for 9-9 this season in a heart beat. I've got us at 7-11 right now. Just think we're relying on a lot of things to go right... really hope they do obviously.

Predicting 6,7, 8 (or more) conference wins seems innocent enough, until you start looking at the matchups (especially the experience on other teams) and its hard to wonder where the wins will come from. Too many unknowns and blending in so many newcomers will be interesting. Patience by all involved and especially our fans will be needed. Hope team has some early success and are rewarded with some wins so they all stay 'bought in' to the process.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

MMMM dat some good cool-aid.

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
Unless things have changed I'm not expecting much out of Long.
\

I believe it is extremely difficult to judge how successful Jakolby will be until more time passes. Last year, he was a freshmen and was never healthy as a result of potentially painful and disabling bone spurs in his shooting shoulders. From my chair, the question that remains is did the surgery help or will it lead to additional shoulder instability, more pain and potentially arthritis?

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Sigmapolis said, “Just for fun and to fuel the argument, for high school and prep school recruits only (from 247)...”

Hoiberg
Prohm

98.76% = 2017 Wigginton
97.73% = 2013 Thomas
97.32% = 2012 Niang
96.19% = 2013 Morris
95.40% = 2018 Griffin
94.83% = 2016 J. Long
93.25% = 2015 Noskowiak

93.07% = 2014 Custer
92.92% = 2017 Lewis
92.79% = 2012 Dorsey-Walker
90.37% = 2017 Lard
88.75% = 2016 Young

87.96% = 2010 Ejim
85.68% = 2015 Carter
84.44% = 2012 Okoro
83.19% = 2010 Railey
83.04% = 2015 Ernst
82.99% = 2010 McKnight
82.15% = 2010 Godfrey
82.07% = 2011 Sledge
81.11% = 2012 N. Mitrou-Long

Harris = 91.81%
Haliburton = 89.00%
Conditt = 87.92%

It is hard to believe that this team is not headed for greatness. So, I am ready to drink the Kool-Aid!
I remain cautiously optimistic for the future, but the future is not this year. Think OU last year ... a few ok upperclassmen and some talented freshmen. We needed high impact transfers to be decent this year, and did not get any. IMO, we will take our lumps this year. No NCAA and very marginal NIT. Definite lower division b12 finish, perhaps somewhere in bottom three. I think we will be much better next year due to freshmen becoming sophomores and Shyok, who I think is an impact transfer. I continue to see us struggle to score this year. Hopefully CSP can finish out this recruiting class strong so we can have two very solid classes back to back. That is how we get back in the hunt.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My main hope for basketball is a tourney appearance...probably will be some bumps in the road but can be fun to have surprises.

I'm curious to see how Prohm approaches the team. His first two years he didn't seem to take the reigns and call the shots until February, i.e. wasn't it the assistants not advising having SY start until he made after the Texas game? IMO that needs to happen from the get go. Both teams played their best ball once he took charge.

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
My main hope for basketball is a tourney appearance...probably will be some bumps in the road but can be fun to have surprises.

I'm curious to see how Prohm approaches the team. His first two years he didn't seem to take the reigns and call the shots until February, i.e. wasn't it the assistants not advising having SY start until he made after the Texas game? IMO that needs to happen from the get go. Both teams played their best ball once he took charge.
You always listen to your assistants if you're a good head coach. They have far more individual time with your players. Head coaches are busy doing a myriad of other things. I love Prohm. Wouldn't trade him for anybody right now. He gets what we are all about. He also takes it with humility and tremendous character. I expect great things from us in the near future.

Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You always listen to your assistants if you're a good head coach. They have far more individual time with your players. Head coaches are busy doing a myriad of other things. I love Prohm. Wouldn't trade him for anybody right now. He gets what we are all about. He also takes it with humility and tremendous character. I expect great things from us in the near future.

I'm not saying I don't like Prohm or a good head coach doesn't need good assistants' input.

Both seasons though he's been very honest about sharing that he had to finally take control and say 'this is what we're doing' instead of letting assistants make the call. The team was better when he did that, so I'd hope he does earlier.