Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Speaking of sleeping under the stars, when the last time you have done that? Think I've done it three times, as a kid at bible camp, once with guys in HS and once on the ISU campus with this hippy gal.

My claim to fame is that I slept in a cave overnight once. So I've got that.

Godfathers started in Omaha, I think Pepperjax did as well.

Scooter's Coffee also started in Omaha.

Reactions: NWICY

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Getting really ******* tired of the RuPaul pop-up. Every time I switch screens the SOB comes up, and I can't do anything until it loads completely and then I have to get rid of it. I get the advertising angle, but this is disruptive to an extreme.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Getting really ******* tired of the RuPaul pop-up. Every time I switch screens the SOB comes up, and I can't do anything until it loads completely and then I have to get rid of it. I get the advertising angle, but this is disruptive to an extreme.
Adblock Plus, my friend. Don't leave home without it.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My mom works at the middle school I went to. She emailed me a bit ago to say that they have a NASA engineer from the Apollo and Mercury missions coming to speak to their science classes tomorrow. For the first time in my life I want to go to school with my mom.
Welcome to my life. :)

Reactions: oldman and wxman1

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Interesting day. We were at Beloit College, the football stadium, and the woodchips caught on fire while we were chipping. We were doing some extremely dry trees. After about 15 minutes of chipping, the dust was really bad. Boss's son and I played it off as the trees being really dead and dry and our new chipper blowing all the dust out of the box back at us, because it blows harder than our other one.

About 15 minutes later, we knew something was right, the dust cloud was behaving more like smoke and it smelled like burning wood. Boss's son yells up to the boss in the bucket, who is in fresh air, and says "it's like standing in a fire." We stop chipping and the boss comes down. Boss's son says he thinks the chips are on fire, boss doesn't believe so and tells him to just move the chute to stop the airflow into the box. Smoke continues billowing out of the box, including the side vents. Boss's son gets a fire extinguisher and starts spraying down the chips. Doesn't do anything. Boss calls the landscaping crew and asks if there is a hose around that we can use. There is, but on the opposite end of the stadium. We unhook and boss's son takes the truck through town to the other side, smoking like hell going down the road.

Boss and I walk up to the other end and meet one of the grounds crew guys who gets the hose out. We take turns spraying down the chips because the smoke was so thick we could only do it for a couple minutes at a time. After about 10 minutes of no progress, boss's son climbs into the box and shuffles around the chips with a small fork, while the grounds crew guy sprays it down. The flameless fire was way down towards the bottom of the chips. Finally after about another 15 minutes, the smoke dwindles and the fire is out.

So we were inhaling smoke for a while and had no idea. We don't wear dust masks because dust blowing back at us is never a problem, even with dry/dead trees. With this new chipper though, we might consider it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My mom works at the middle school I went to. She emailed me a bit ago to say that they have a NASA engineer from the Apollo and Mercury missions coming to speak to their science classes tomorrow. For the first time in my life I want to go to school with my mom.

Hope your schedule works out so you can make it. Maybe you can take @ImJustKCClone with you. Heck her or her dad might even know the guy.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Has anyone ever rented a car for a road trip? My aunt and uncle are coming up this weekend from Wichita and they ALWAYS rent a car when going farther than Kansas City or Oklahoma City because they (read he) doesn't want that wear and tear on the vehicle. Assuming the fuel cost is a wash are you really putting $100+ worth of wear and tear on your vehicle. My opinion is no...

Before I bought my Cruze. I would rent a car that size for long trips because my pick up gets poor mileage rental & gas would be less then just gas in my truck. I run snow tires in the winter and saved the dry paving wear on them.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Before I bought my Cruze. I would rent a car that size for long trips because my pick up gets poor mileage rental & gas would be less then just gas in my truck. I run snow tires in the winter and saved the dry paving wear on them.

This is acceptable. ;)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I just HAD to post this for @ImJustKCClone..........
tumblr_no1rb6UCAU1s02vreo7_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.