Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Didn’t see it because it was gone before I got to the right window, but DH saw a fix in our backyard. There are plenty in parts of Ames, but no reports from around here until now.
Come back and have all the rabbits you want, please!
We recently moved and have been fortunate enough to have a family of Red Foxes (looks to be a mother and three 'little ones') living across the street. Fun way to start and end the day.

On another note, my brother is big into trapping during the Winter/Fall and through his contacts with the local DNR he was put in touch with the state DNR to put trail cameras in my parent's woods to try and photograph a Gray Fox. Not only were they able to capture a photo of a Gray earlier this Spring, they actually captured TWO (Male/Female). At the time (late March) it was the only photos of a Gray Fox the study had captured, this despite having nearly 80 trail cameras in-place throughout the state. Something about having 'heavy' woods next to a junk yard makes it 'ideal' conditions for the little critters. Apparently they are even more 'shy' than the larger Red's and thrive in more wooded environments, which I'm sure I don't need to inform you aren't very prevalent in the state of Iowa anymore.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Didn’t see it because it was gone before I got to the right window, but DH saw a fox in our backyard. There are plenty in parts of Ames, but no reports from around here until now.
We're pretty much in the middle of the city at this point but with lots of open space, and have a coyote that visits regularly at night, that's keeping the rabbits under control very well. It might have gotten one of the wild cats in the neighborhood, haven't seen it for a while. One of the neighbors is risking loss of a calico, I've warned them but they still leave it out at night occasionally.

Son has a fox that roams the neighborhood in the early morning, often seen by the kids when they're boarding the bus. I'd rather have the fox, had a series for a while but the last died of mange, and won't be any now with the coyote moving in. It's a big one, well fed.

We're down temporarily to one only small buck, the does must be off birthing fawns. I expect lots of twins to be showing up, since the deer are well-fed too.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Didn’t see it because it was gone before I got to the right window, but DH saw a fox in our backyard. There are plenty in parts of Ames, but no reports from around here until now.
I used to frequently see a fox crossing Elwood into Stuart Smith Park when I lived in Ames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron