Question for Polk City residents

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
How is it living there and how is the North Polk school system? Good, bad , average? Thanks.

Any other comments about Polk city are welcomed

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
I've lived there for 3 years and prefer it to living in Ankeny. My wife and I are from small Iowa towns (hers less than 1,000 people/mine less than 3,000) so that is what we are used to. Now that we have a Fareway, it's even better. The city is growing quickly, so it's hard to say how much longer North Polk Schools will be in class 2A. There are several new housing developments under construction now as well as a new retail strip mall going up soon.

Our kids aren't in school yet so I can't comment on that. The middle school and brand new high school are in Alleman which I think was a mistake.

If the bond referendum passes in August, Polk City will get a new baseball/softball complex, new soccer complex, and an aquatic center/pool.

Property taxes are lower than many of the other municipalities in the metro as well.

Anything else specific you'd like to know? What area of Polk City are you looking at?

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Not really a specific area, just wondering if we should include it in our search. I've seen a few houses that would fit our wants. My wife is worried about the school system, but daughter is only 3. I wonder if it's too far away from our usual shopping places on Delaware. It about 10 minutes farther away from where we live now in south ankeny.
It's seems weird to me the new schools are in Alleman.

JerseyGirl

Jun 12, 2013
Central Iowa
Geographically, Alleman is in the center of the district. There is a new housing development on the north side of Ankeny that is in the North Polk district school lines (Ankeny annexed it from unincorporated Polk County) So that will bring more kids to Central Elementary in the next few years. There had been discussion on where the new HS would go, but ultimately the Board went with keeping it in Alleman. If you search around the web, you can find good info on the Polk City Economic Commission-long range plan etc. Another good source is to read the City Council meeting minutes- you can start to get a sense of their goals. There was another feed on CF about electric costs in northern Polk County-some areas are covered by MidAmerican while the rest is covered by a Co-op and believe me the difference is considerable (MidAm being cheaper) and sometimes it is the difference on what side of the road you are on. BTW, I live in Elkhart and right now I believe 5 buses take kids to North Polk(City and rural); not counting the HS kids who drive.

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
I live in Polk City. I have for 11 years. I have 3 kids in the North Polk School District. My wife and I both grew up on farms in small towns. We like the small town feel in Polk City. My oldest will be a 7th grader. There are 127 kids in her class. That is about the biggest class they have going through. The middle school is in Alleman. It does get old going back and forth between Polk City and Alleman but we understood that when we moved in and both of us grew up having to drive back and forth to school.

As another poster mentioned, Alleman is the center of the district. There have been problems getting school bond issues through in the past because of location of the schools. We are getting to the point of needing to bond again for schools but probably need to wait a couple years. The district is growing which is a good thing. We have been pleased with the quality of education. Most of the teachers have been outstanding.

The biggest thing Polk City needs is more business. There are several new housing developments and the population continues to grow. Outside of Fareway, not many new businesses have been added.