Q&A With Prohm

clones11

Apr 2, 2006
Marion
This year the rubber really meets the road, I look forward to seeing what Prohm can do. A lot of coaches say they wouldn't trade their job for anything, but I actually believe Steve when he says it. He is a great representation of the University and Ames community, I will always root for the Cyclones but I am really rooting for Steve Prohm as he seems like a stand up guy and all around good person.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Prohm might be the perfect coach for Iowa State in the long run. He's humble, enjoys people and relationships (which you need with an engaged fan base like ISU), and invests in student athletes' wellbeing and potential. The only way for ISU to compete with the top brass is to develop 3-4 year players, which I think Prohm is excellent at. He also appears (at least for now) to appreciate what he has at ISU and can build if he sticks around. He hopefully won't take ISU for granted and will be here for a long time. We've said that before, though!

D

Deleted member 8507

Yeah, the link doesn't work for me either. While trying to track down the link source to see if I can connect that way, I see this is from his HS, Northwest Whitfield and that Marla Maples went to that HS also (10 years before Steve).

AarikLong

Aug 28, 2017
sportsunbiased.com
Yeah, the link doesn't work for me either. While trying to track down the link source to see if I can connect that way, I see this is from his HS, Northwest Whitfield and that Marla Maples went to that HS also (10 years before Steve).
We were having some trouble with our site earlier today, but it appears to be running smoothly once again!

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
For me, the really impressive thing about Prohm is that he truly cares for his kids. You could tell at the end of last season that the team was bonded together emotionally, by how they reacted after those big wins. And that can make all the difference on the court.

I just hope he finds kids like Naz that "stir the drink", so to speak. He has a good thing going, no reason it shouldn't continue IMO.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This year the rubber really meets the road, I look forward to seeing what Prohm can do. A lot of coaches say they wouldn't trade their job for anything, but I actually believe Steve when he says it. He is a great representation of the University and Ames community, I will always root for the Cyclones but I am really rooting for Steve Prohm as he seems like a stand up guy and all around good person.
Steve has really grown up in my opinion. I think it surprised him how quickly we could become blatantly honest with him during the hard times he has seen here so far. There was even that one time you could tell he was emotionally hurt by some of the comments he was getting. I don't see that in him anymore. He is comfortable, and is getting better by the day. This year will really show us what kind of x's and o's he's really got. I also think having Niang and Morris around taught him a ton, considering those two are like a 2nd coach with their basketball IQ.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
It amazes me (in a wow kinda way) that, in 18-years, he goes from a non-salaried, volunteer asst at a dinky DIII college, to a multi-millionaire HC at a Power 5. I love Prohm and think he's the best combo coach I've seen in 42-yrs a 'Clone !!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
One thing that I've really liked about Prohm so far is that his teams are playing their best ball in February and March. I think that we'll take some lumps this year, but I have no doubt that they'll be playing well at the end of the season. We'll see if they win enough in the noncon for it to matter.