Proof KJ needs to go

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
McCauley is projected at 149. I am assuming 157 will either be Moreno again or Trent Weatherman.

goldrush

Dec 19, 2011
Swalla was thirst string... Cozart was second string but got pulled for being a head case and only came back in the lineup after Swalla tore his pec.

and even with Trent Weatherman who barely won the wrestle off we were not going to be good at 149 because of lack of mat skills.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What were the circumstances that caused Bono to leave? Or did he just get out of the program before it took a dump?? We need to get Yero outta there..I would call either Gallick back to work with the lighter weights..

The reason that I received, through personal friends, was he wanted to give the Olympics another shot. That is why he wrestled in the midlands. Remember, he actually wrestled a an isu wrestler who he was coaching there instead of stepping down for team points in the match.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Judoka, is it possible for Meeks to go 41, goettel 49, destin 57, and Moreno 65. Would any of the other new guys or cash come back for 33? Looks like 74 and up is decent and if this set of bumps work we would have a good line, but still a hole at 33.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The reason that I received, through personal friends, was he wanted to give the Olympics another shot. That is why he wrestled in the midlands. Remember, he actually wrestled a an isu wrestler who he was coaching there instead of stepping down for team points in the match.

Bono wrestled at 2008 Midlands while coaching at Chattanooga.

He beat Cyler, 4-2 TB, in the finals (worth 4 team points).

ISU lost to Iowa by 3 team points.

Of course, ISU had 4 other finalists lose that night, too, each by 1 point:
125 - Tyler Clark lost to Brandon Precin (NW), 3-2
133 - Nick Fanthorpe lost to Dan Dennis (IA), 4-3
165 - Jon Reader lost to Ryan Morningstar (IA), 5-4 TB
197 - Jake Varner lost to Dallas Herbst (WI), 2-1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Bono wrestled at 2008 Midlands while coaching at Chattanooga.

He beat Cyler, 4-2 TB, in the finals (worth 4 team points).

ISU lost to Iowa by 3 team points.

Of course, ISU had 4 other finalists lose that night, too, each by 1 point:
125 - Tyler Clark lost to Brandon Precin (NW), 3-2
133 - Nick Fanthorpe lost to Dan Dennis (IA), 4-3
165 - Jon Reader lost to Ryan Morningstar (IA), 5-4 TB
197 - Jake Varner lost to Dallas Herbst (WI), 2-1

Crap, I am for sure getting senile. I was thinking he was at ISU, but I know cyler left with Cael so either that's it or it happened another time, but I'll take your word because I'm too lazy to look it up now.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Crap, I am for sure getting senile. I was thinking he was at ISU, but I know cyler left with Cael so either that's it or it happened another time, but I'll take your word because I'm too lazy to look it up now.

I had to go check again, because Bono was listed as wrestling for the Chattanooga Takedown Club (or whatever their abbreviation stood for) at that tournament.

He was at Chattanooga from Fall '05 until Spring '09 (1 yr asst, 3 yrs head coach), then came back for one year under Jackson.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I never did understand that hire fully, might just be that he rubbed me the wrong way when I was in pt at the same time as him. I had the voelker hire explained to me and that was reasonable, but not bono.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I do think we need a sc coach and a guy to beat on the lightweights on the mat. The practice partners just aren't there yet.

That's such a huge thing that a lot of people aren't considering - Meeks, for example, will have Goettl and Finch to beat him up next year whether he redshirts or not, guys with a year of varsity experience and a trip to nationals under their belts. When Goettl and Finch were redshirting they had no one to give them that same treatment. The room was basically totally bereft of experience below 165 last year and it has showed. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a wrestling program that has been laid bare.

Reactions: mikem

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Uh...no. I did not "list a couple undergraduate heavyweights that have been ranked ahead of Gibson all year." I listed next years returning ALL-AMERICAN heavyweights. You know, actual results from the NCAAs.

There are no less than 8 returning all-Americans at HWT next year. The guy that pounded Gibson on the back side and knocked him out finished a whopping 7th. Gibson didn't even make the the round of 12. Yet you said you expect him to finish top 6. Unbridled optimism at it's finest, Judoka.

In the round of 16, which is where Gibson got knocked out, there were 8 seniors and 8 underclassmen. Therefore, Gibson was one of the top 8 non-seniors at heavyweight at nationals this year. Extrapolating from that information that he will likely start the season next year in the top 8 and a likely AA is not a leap of faith by any stretch of the imagination.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
In the round of 16, which is where Gibson got knocked out, there were 8 seniors and 8 underclassmen. Therefore, Gibson was one of the top 8 non-seniors at heavyweight at nationals this year. Extrapolating from that information that he will likely start the season next year in the top 8 and a likely AA is not a leap of faith by any stretch of the imagination.

As you have been informed three times now, that doesn't factor in Dom Bradley's return from Olympic redshirt. Also, Gelogaev is a former AA was the top rated HWT this year and didn't participate at the NCAAs due to injury. That makes 8 returning AAs at HWT for next season. Chad Hanke from Oregon State is also coming off Olympic redshirt and will be rated ahead of Gibson coming into next season. Your prediction was that due to graduations Gibson would be top 6 when coming into the year he will not be rated any higher than 10th.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So did we meet our expectations for the year considering all the problems such as injuries and whatever?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
So did we meet our expectations for the year considering all the problems such as injuries and whatever?

Here is a link to the preseason intermat rankings

Here is a link to the end of season rankings

Ryak basically matched pre-season expectations, Goettl wasn't ranked to start the season (wasn't expected to start even), Sorenson was on track to greatly top the preseason until his ankle sprain in the second round. When he wrestled Spangler lived up to expectations, Ward, Gadsen, and Simonson didn't see any significant mat time due to injuries. Gibson ended up ranked higher than the starter he replaced. Beard was only a few spots lower than Ward was in the preseason.

All in all, the injuries ruined things but our actual performances on the mat were better than preseason expectations. That is why people follow the program are advocating changes and fixes rather than dumping everything and trying to start over.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone