Prime Rib

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I always assumed what I was getting at the store was prime.

I've always thought I could probably get a good look at the prime rib by sticking my head up a bull's ***, but I'd rather take the store's word for it.
Now I know better.

:smile:

(See what I did there...Tommy Boy sneak attack)

It's not. Very few supermarkets, (fareway included) sell USDA Prime beef. You're mostly getting Choice, and in some places, Select.

Prime mostly goes to steakhouses.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
question for you people who cook on a smoker... when I cook in a oven, I like to cook at 500 degress for 15-20 min.. then slow cook at around 200-225 to internal temp of 125.

question is, could i still "sear" it in the oven at that 500 for 15-20 min then put it in the smoker?? I dont see why i couldnt, just wonder if the sear effect would keep some of the smoke flavor out of the meat!

Thanks!

I think you might have a hard time getting the smoke flavor in if you brown it in the oven first.

Also, if you smoke it, you should get a pretty decent bark on the outside that can "replace" the sear you're trying to accomplish, which is a texture thing, I'm assuming.

Last edited:

Big12Cy

Jan 13, 2008
It's not. Very few supermarkets, (fareway included) sell USDA Prime beef. You're mostly getting Choice, and in some places, Select.

I know. I just wanted an excuse to quote Tommy Boy. I usually get mine from Brewer's downtown Des Moines. They can get whatever grade you want.

I have only used their choice rib roasts, but I usually get prime briskets.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I know. I just wanted an excuse to quote Tommy Boy. I usually get mine from Brewer's downtown Des Moines. They can get whatever grade you want.

I have only used their choice rib roasts, but I usually get prime briskets.
I know where they are at but are they open to the public like a regular butcher?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Can you tell me where both places get their meat and the beef grades they carry?

Yeah that's what I thought

I'd like to hear this too. I'll be up front that I've worked in the meat dept at Hy-Vee in HS and college as well as one at a local grocery store while in HS too plus my family and my wife's family raises beef. I will agree though that Hy-Vee meats are not what the used to be. Ever since they went to more pre-pack the quality has really gone down IMO but if you are willing to pay more and know how to select good meats the full-service counter still offers decent stuff if you shop at the right stores.

I find myself buying from Fareway when I need a good cut of meat. You can argue all you want who has the best meats in town but if you want a premium cut you probably will have to find another means. Certified Hereford or Angus beef is good stuff but there aren't many places that carry it. Yes a lot of resturaunts get theirs from distributors but as far as getting it retail it's a little tougher to find. I still think you can find some tasty cuts at the grocery store if you shop at the right ones and know what to look for when selecting certain cuts.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Costco offers some prime beef, ususally ribeyes and NY strips. Once upon a time, you could get whole prime tenderloins there, but I'm not sure if they carry those anymore.

Big12Cy

Jan 13, 2008
I know where they are at but are they open to the public like a regular butcher?

They are open to the public, but are not like a regular butcher. I suggest you call in your order, and then pick it up later. Also, it is a good idea to not be in a hurry when you get there, and be sure you have cash or check. Cards are not accepted.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's hard to find actual prime rib on your own. Most of those cuts are choice Prime Rib which shouldn't even be legal to sell because it isn't a prime cut. The prime cuts mostly go to steakhouses and other restaurants. The best Prime RIb I have ever had was at Ditka's in Chicago. Pricey but awesome.

This is true although I don't think they advertise it as prime rib, usually they call it a standing rib roast or bone in rib roast.