Powerblocks

Sep 28, 2007
Norman, OK
Well, I sold my smith machine and free weights because I needed to recapture that space in my home. I hate the idea of waiting for machines at a gym, so I am leaning toward purchasing some Powerblock dumbbells.

Have any of you used these? They are pricey, but I think they offer some value for the money.

Have any of you used the Bowflex Selecttech dumbbells?

Just looking for thoughts out there before making the purchase....

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
The only thing I ever noticed was that some lock weight on in occasionally uneven amounts. I didnt like having 5lbs on one side of the dumbell and 25 on the other (for example). Not sure all are like this.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Powerblocks are the absolute best adjustable dumbells, especially because you can get the add on kits going up to 125lbs. I think the bowlex ones only go to 50 dont they?

When I eventually get my dream home gym, the first thing I will buy are powerblocks.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2007
Norman, OK
Powerblocks are the absolute best adjustable dumbells, especially because you can get the add on kits going up to 125lbs. I think the bowlex ones only go to 50 dont they?

You're right. Bowflex goes up to 52.5 lbs and Powerblocks can be expanded to 130 lbs. (About $900 when expanded).

The guy at Push Pedal Pull said that they can't keep the Powerblocks in stock, which is why I was leaning that way.

I just need to be sure about it before pitching the idea to the wife. ("Hey, how about I buy this for us for Valentine's Day?")

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
You're right. Bowflex goes up to 52.5 lbs and Powerblocks can be expanded to 130 lbs. (About $900 when expanded).

The guy at Push Pedal Pull said that they can't keep the Powerblocks in stock, which is why I was leaning that way.

I just need to be sure about it before pitching the idea to the wife. ("Hey, how about I buy this for us for Valentine's Day?")

Tell her you were thinking these or a new vaccuum. If you live she might see it your way. :wink:

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

When I eventually get my dream home gym, the first thing I will buy are powerblocks.

They only go to 125? What if I want to do curls? Weak.

loki8838

Nov 27, 2006
I know the owner/designer of Powerblocks personally, and powerblocks are the shizznit. I have a set at home, and we have a quite a few pairs at the gym where I work.

They just came out with a new set made out of urethane. With the urethane ones you don't have to be so careful if you drop them.

Whatever you do, don't order them through Push, Pedal, Pull. Avoid the middle man and order directly from the factory.

Sep 28, 2007
Norman, OK
Thanks for the input! I will be purchasing the Sport 9.0 set so that I can upgrade it later.

I was talking with another guy here at OU about them and he loves them. His set-up at home consists of a bench, Powerblocks and Bodylastics resistance cables. (It was like talking to a sales guy - no offense to sales guys who may be reading this!)

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the input! I will be purchasing the Sport 9.0 set so that I can upgrade it later.

I was talking with another guy here at OU about them and he loves them. His set-up at home consists of a bench, Powerblocks and Bodylastics resistance cables. (It was like talking to a sales guy - no offense to sales guys who may be reading this!)

You could have just said "It was like talking to a Sooner" and we'd have all understood.