Post-game podcast from Austin,.....WOW!!!!

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
ISU was better the 2nd quarter too. Texas has like 15 yards in the 2nd qtr.

True, but I think Texas got like one whole possession during the entire 2nd quarter, lol. But that is definitely evidence of great ball control. I think it went a long way towards disrupting the offensive flow Texas saw early on.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I think Herman's biggest problem right now, is not respecting other teams that in years past would be considered beneath them. The fake punt? What was the purpose of that? Punt, pin ISU deep, we weren't moving the ball great and Texas had the lead and play for field position. Then the 4th down try? Take the points, go up by 7, make us tie. I think if they kick the field goal there, they probably win. Yes, we still punted after that, but that stop completely changed the game.

Absolutely nailed this take, it seemed like they were constantly trying to manufacture the “dagger” that would take ISU out of the game, instead of making the smart decisions that would have kept their advantage.

Look at our punt at ... what was it? 4 minutes left? This is why I’m not a football coach, because to me, that’s do-or-die time and I usually think “go for it” instead of punting. But I’m sure the coaching staff probably intended using all three timeouts on Texas’ next possession, and instead Texas helped the Clones out immensely by trying to go for my aforementioned “dagger” to finish the game out.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Overall, we got outplayed for 3 quarters, but we were better in each area in the 4th quarter when it counted. Offense, defense, and special teams.

And coaching by a mile. UT was controlling the line of scrimmage and our offense was having trouble. Going for the fake punt, not taking the FG attempt on fourth down, and throwing twice on their last drive were coaching decisions driven by arrogance that opened the door we needed to win.

• Winner
Reactions: dirtyninety

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
I said this same thing in other threads. The college football landscape has changed. Your name doesn't carry you as much as it used to. You have to allow a coach the time to install their system and this isn't just about calling plays, it's getting the kids to buy into what you are doing as well.

I think Herman's biggest problem right now, is not respecting other teams that in years past would be considered beneath them. The fake punt? What was the purpose of that? Punt, pin ISU deep, we weren't moving the ball great and Texas had the lead and play for field position. Then the 4th down try? Take the points, go up by 7, make us tie. I think if they kick the field goal there, they probably win. Yes, we still punted after that, but that stop completely changed the game.

Not that I dont think ISU ever doubted they could win, but that play lit a fire in ISU, you could just see a "We got this" in our last drive and put UT on their heels.

Great post.

Apparently Tom doesn't respect his own players either...(from UT message board/throwing players under the bus)....

"I just cannot understand:
Fake Punt- Herman evidently said in his presser that Dicker did not see the secondary receiver who was open. WHAT !!!!!! You have a place kicker punting for the first time at the college level and on a fake punt the punter is supposed to be able to go through his progressions and make an accurate throw? No punter ever would do that- This is on Herman".

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Great post.

Apparently Tom doesn't respect his own players either...(from UT message board/throwing players under the bus)....

"I just cannot understand:
Fake Punt- Herman evidently said in his presser that Dicker did not see the secondary receiver who was open. WHAT !!!!!! You have a place kicker punting for the first time at the college level and on a fake punt the punter is supposed to be able to go through his progressions and make an accurate throw? No punter ever would do that- This is on Herman".

I've never met the guy, but I assume the only person Tom Herman respects, is Tom Herman.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Herman Hubris....even in real time it was just apparent he thought they were a play away from the fair and just beat-down that Texas was entitled to against little 'ol Iowa College of Agriculture. Talk about privilege....and I freaking hate that word, but Texas feels privileged when they play anybody that isn't top ten. They're not baaaaaacccccccckkkkkkkkkk.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Lol.

"Do you try and back up the Brinks truck for an established Power Five coach like Oregon’s Mario Cristobal, Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly, Penn State’s James Franklin, Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck or Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald?"

I’d like to see Texas continue to fail at “getting back,” but with oars