Positives and Negatives of Gameday

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I thought the crowd was fanatastic.
I thought our Stadium looked fantastic in the back ground.
The signs were "Ok". Nothing great

Negatives
Was hoping they would do a good Jack Trice story
Was that Eric Church guy awake? He knew a lot about each team from around the country but just had no energy.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I thought the crowd was fanatastic.
I thought our Stadium looked fantastic in the back ground.
The signs were "Ok". Nothing great

Negatives
Was hoping they would do a good Jack Trice story
Was that Eric Church guy awake? He knew a lot about each team from around the country but just had no energy.

Agreed on the Jack Trice story. It's such a captivating story, I can't believe they chose "History of the Cy-Hawk Trophy" over his story.

And to be fair, Church was likely high as a kite during his picks.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Negative: Port O' Potties literally overflowing. I'm not joking.

Definitely needed to bring in more of these given that this game attracts so many more people who attend only to party. Lines were insanely long.

I didn't experience it myself but I saw plenty of tweets indicating that traffic and parking were pretty badly mishandled within the first hour or two after lots opened at 5 a.m.

But other than it being a bummer that the weather didn't turn out as expected, it was a great day. Thankfully the rain held off until the the GameDay broadcast was done.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Negative: Port O' Potties literally overflowing. I'm not joking.
Didn't see this myself, but a few friends said they saw several instances of Hawk fans going into the portos in pairs. On one occasion the door burst open they fell out with pants around their ankles. I'd swear they were making this up......but Hawk fans.

• Informative
Reactions: criticalobserver

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I have to admit, getting a celebrity picker with no ties to ISU at all only to pick to Hawks to win over us on national tv was a low blow. What a piece of work. At least Corso picked us.

I really don’t think there were many negatives from having Gameday come to Ames, especially when you think of it from Matt Campbell’s perspective. Great exposure for the program, and even though we lost the game, that type of airtime for a building program like ISU is priceless.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Positives:
Jen Lada
Maria Taylor
The entire Gameday thing

Negatives:
Don't do a sad story and bring a tear to my eye when I'm in public around Seneca and Hakeem

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
I thought it was great. CycloneNation showed up like i knew they would. It was great to see so much Cardinal and Gold and the 'Cyclone Power' chants were very audible on the TV. From the tweets that i saw the suits at ESPN were very impressed. I only can remember them mentioning corn a couple of times, but that is to be expected.

We should be proud of the display that we put on. I thought it was fantastic. What a way to showcase the best fans in the country. Proud Cyclone today.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It really is surreal. Even though I was physically there and watched the show these pictures still look photoshopped. Gameday is a special experience. Especially with Corso still there. I think it was great that Corso picked us because I’m not sure how much longer that will be going on.

I love Corso, but it made me sad seeing him in real life. He looks to be getting in pretty bad shape and that makes me sad because he's been a fixture of my Saturday mornings for a long time.

But it is cool I got to see him in person.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and awd4cy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Thought overall production was great and I didn't mind the CyHawk trophy story. Coach Mac had the best line saying something about someone must have been on LSD or something when they made the pewter family trophy. LOL

One big negative and that was the cluster **** that was the parking at 5am. You'd think they'd know it was going to be a very busy morning with GameDay and CyHawk game but there is no reason anyone should be sitting on Duff and S 16th for over 2 hours! We barely got parked in time to get our dish out of the back and setup to watch when they went on at 8 and I can imagine a lot of people who were hoping to actually go to the GameDay area were still stuck in traffic at 8am. We got about 20 cars from the S4/S5 lot sometime after 7:15 maybe when they closed that then sent us down to G8 which we then sat in a line just inside the gate for about 10 or more minutes while they tried to find space for us to park because they hadn't parked one of the lines properly. I flat out told 2 of the attendants this was a complete cluster **** as I came into the lot then the next one I met while we waited for whatever mess was going on and both basically shrugged and said "yeah it pretty much has been all morning." From what I hear they did not start filling the student lot until 5am so they had to clear the overnight staging area in G4 before they let anyone else in which was the backup on 16th. I've parked overnight before multiple times in G4 for the CyHawk game and they always have emptied that lot out early in the morning so it was clear before the lots officially opened so whoever dropped the ball on that this year really made a mess for the 5am crowd. They've emptied that out at 2am before for an 11am kickoff (5am lots open) so not sure why they didn't do that again when they knew they had an early crowd coming.

And holy smokes the smell was HORRIBLE walking out of the south end zone gates after the game. Definitely an overflowing or tipped over portapot(s) had to caused that because it literally took your breath away as you came out the gates.