IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
What has changed since Monday that would make them reverse their decision? I cant think of anything so I doubt your “rumors”.

I don't know if anything has changed, but there has been some backlash in the media. Usually does the trick to get organizations to change their mind.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I don't know details so I don't know what changed exactly. I suppose national media pressure or the numbers are still exploding possibly. But, no fans at the first game is what I'm hearing
The numbers seem to be dropping back towards a more normal persistent high though. I highly doubt this. At least I doubt they would announce the change until much closer to the game.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
What has changed since Monday that would make them reverse their decision? I cant think of anything so I doubt your “rumors”.

Supposedly, Reynolds is increasing "shutdowns" in the six high risk counties which includes Story. No idea if this is a factor or even true.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Looks like that photo must be at least 13 years old or so since there are a lot of swirly bird logos on shirts/hats.

Edit: The more I look at it, it almost looks photo edited to crop people close together since a lot of the rows don't seem to line up.
It definitely looks edited to me

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It definitely looks edited to me

Why all the work for the alarmist effect when they could have just Googled one from TCU 2017? Look at the lack of social distancing! Surely that won't be different now!

1599063698922.png

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I don't know if anything has changed, but there has been some backlash in the media. Usually does the trick to get organizations to change their mind.

Ha... what a joke if true.

Be on your best behavior next week and I'll maybe let you come to the Oklahoma game... unless the DSM writes a negative article about us in the mean time.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Ha... what a joke if true.

Be on your best behavior next week and I'll maybe let you come to the Oklahoma game... unless the DSM writes a negative article about us in the mean time.

Yeah I'm not saying either way. If you've made a decision just stick with it. Don't cave to outside pressure.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
FWIW Hearing rumors they're already shifting to no fans at the first game now.
Heard the same thing, but also don’t think it makes much sense to change so quick especially with governor support. Sounds like a university president decision if any truth to rumors.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Heard the same thing, but also don’t think it makes much sense to change so quick especially with governor support. Sounds like a university president decision if any truth to rumors.

I hadn't heard that. When did Reynolds come out in support of having 25,000 fans in attendance? I missed today's presser.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Like anything during this pandemic things can change on short notice so it wouldn't be surprising at all if the plans released on Monday are changed by next weekend. With all the negative press the state is getting right now Reynolds could make some proclamation limiting gatherings and shut it down too. We will wait and see I guess. I wouldn't want to be in anyone's shoes this year having to make decisions that impact people and that goes from elected officials all the way down to employers or local schools or leaders. No matter what they do someone is going to be pissed off about it 1 way or another. I remember listening to the conference call when our school district was going to vote on what learning model to start with and 1 of the school board members flat out said that it won't matter how she votes on the 3 options, people who wanted them to go with 1 of the other options will likely be pissed at them so it's a no-win situation.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just 20 positives in Story yesterday, and it looks like about 72 or 92 today (I can't tell if it is a 2 day total as the Register says Mon to Tues 92.) Adding the antigen numbers accounted for 1000 of the 2663 reported state wide last Thurs-Fri.It looks like this "fastest in the country" thing is just a result of a change in reporting procedures. It was always suspicious the Ames and Iowa City made the top 4.

Iowa was the media whipping boy in about May when it was the state with the fastest increase for about a week. Next week somewhere else will be "grim story" and Iowa will be forgotten.

Students spreading this is honestly your best group. Very healthy with a incredibly small chance of serious consequences. Hospitalizations in Iowa are steady at around 300. I think the reactions in Ames have been a knee jerk response to skewed data. We'll know in a week where the data goes.

That was pretty obvious to anyone who can put their own thoughts together.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I can't imagine Wintersteen is too excited about having 25k in Jack Trice now that we're a national joke AND most of the faculty have let her know it's stupid as well.

But I don't think you'd have to go to "no fans" all of the sudden, but JP might just have to. He hurt himself on that one. He could have gone with 10k possibly and gotten away with it, but he got greedy and now will probably be forced to go to zero fans.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
That was pretty obvious to anyone who can put their own thoughts together.
Would be interesting to see other locales do significant antigen tests to a fairly large population sample...would be they would have a large increase in cases too. This is like whack-a-mole for the media...who is now on the list and now shamed. Maybe try applying some better statistical controls instead of a shameless attempt to get clicks.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Like anything during this pandemic things can change on short notice so it wouldn't be surprising at all if the plans released on Monday are changed by next weekend.

It's almost like everyone who **** themselves over Monday's announcement stopped reading after the second paragraph of the release, and didn't get to this part:

"Lastly, this information is subject to revision. We will continue to monitor the situation closely the next two weeks and will take appropriate actions, including no fans for the first game, if circumstances warrant changes."

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's almost like everyone who **** themselves over Monday's announcement stopped reading after the second paragraph of the release, and didn't get to this part:

"Lastly, this information is subject to revision. We will continue to monitor the situation closely the next two weeks and will take appropriate actions, including no fans for the first game, if circumstances warrant changes."

The circumstances warranted no fans when he announced 25k. Nothing has really changed since then.

If JP makes a change now, with nothing really changed, then he would just be admitting he was high as a kite when he made the 25k decision.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyclonesRock

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I can't imagine Wintersteen is too excited about having 25k in Jack Trice now that we're a national joke AND most of the faculty have let her know it's stupid as well.

But I don't think you'd have to go to "no fans" all of the sudden, but JP might just have to. He hurt himself on that one. He could have gone with 10k possibly and gotten away with it, but he got greedy and now will probably be forced to go to zero fans.
Pollard stated he was prepared for no fans but the scientists felt the risks could be mitigated.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Would be interesting to see other locales do significant antigen tests to a fairly large population sample...would be they would have a large increase in cases too. This is like whack-a-mole for the media...who is now on the list and now shamed. Maybe try applying some better statistical controls instead of a shameless attempt to get clicks.

Adding the antigen tests have increased our percent positive. We are now almost always above 10% as a state. That was not the case before.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah easing into it is better optics.

Also imo just seems easier logistically vs. other parts that will go into a game day schedule.

If it goes well, you open it up more maybe. If not, you bring it down more.