Pat Downey to 197lbs for post season

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
And PD2 - I hope you are proven correct and have the results to come back here and boast about Pat's success. But sometimes it is best for those closest to the wrestlers to either stay away from the boards or to at least not post. We have seen this before not only here, but on other boards. It normally doesn't work out too well and will create more vitriol for anonymous internet tough guys... my unsolicited advice.

cyfan9 - I both understand what you're saying and appreciate the advice. I know the internet tough guys will always be there. I've tried to be very careful with my wording, especially when it comes to Pat. I know him and I know he'll peak. My point with mentioning Pat's previous ACs was so that readers could appreciate from whom this opinion of KJ was coming. In other words, he's had the privilege to be around some very good coaches with whom to make comparisons. I'm just real saddened to read all of the negativity towards the coaching staff and the program. Lets hope they peak in Kansas City. Go Cyclones.

p.s. 'vitriol' --- my new word for the day. :)

Last edited:

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
I'm not trying to pick fights but I have one concern. Been told by people close to the program that it's not uncommon for KJ to not be a practice leaving it for the other guys to run. If you are that dedicated to the program that you say he is he wouldn't be missing practices.

My goal is not to fight with anyone on here. I hope Pat entertains the fans and gives the program a boost over the next couple years...something to be proud of. On the contrary, he gives me nothing but positive feedback.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
"KJ knows his ****. That's who I am here to wrestle for and to be coached by." - a text received today by my son, an actual wrestler who has 'been around' (nearly two years at the OTC; 4x national champ; jr world finalist; and, world team trials qualifier). All of this criticism of KJ and his staff is very disheartening. If this is how Cyclone fans feel, I would hate to see their enemies. Go Cyclones.

We as fans always appreciate what the kids do for this program and hopefully you can understand that none of the frustration that us die hard fans sometimes show is directed towards any of the wrestlers. I think most of the frustration lie on the how the program is being directed. It's not just this year but past years as well. Just from outsiders look, it appears that there really is any decision making going on. I've been a set on ticket holder for over 7 years and love wrestling but our program right now doesn't look so hot . Not saying things can't end well but to this point, it hasn't been the greatest. It's very hard as a dedicated fan who drives 3 hours total to watch every meet to see the results that we have had this year and past years. Recruiting wise we have a pretty good class coming in with some pretty good kids already in place. But the big issue I have are the decisions that KJ makes on a yearly basis and the lack progress that we have made in the time he has been here.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
We as fans always appreciate what the kids do for this program and hopefully you can understand that none of the frustration that us die hard fans sometimes show is directed towards any of the wrestlers. I think most of the frustration lie on the how the program is being directed. It's not just this year but past years as well. Just from outsiders look, it appears that there really is any decision making going on. I've been a set on ticket holder for over 7 years and love wrestling but our program right now doesn't look so hot . Not saying things can't end well but to this point, it hasn't been the greatest. It's very hard as a dedicated fan who drives 3 hours total to watch every meet to see the results that we have had this year and past years. Recruiting wise we have a pretty good class coming in with some pretty good kids already in place. But the big issue I have are the decisions that KJ makes on a yearly basis and the lack progress that we have made in the time he has been here.

Obviously, Pat couldn't be any newer to the program, so he (and I) haven't witnessed your frustrations. With that being said, I know that he couldn't be more grateful and excited to be a part of ISU wrestling and its storied past. He was able to ignite the room at Iowa Central, and given some time, hopefully he'll do the same here. I pray for the best. Go Cyclones.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Obviously, Pat couldn't be any newer to the program, so he (and I) haven't witnessed your frustrations. With that being said, I know that he couldn't be more grateful and excited to be a part of ISU wrestling and its storied past. He was able to ignite the room at Iowa Central, and given some time, hopefully he'll do the same here. I pray for the best. Go Cyclones.

What does it mean to "ignite" the room? Iowa Central was pretty good before he arrived.

We will all be pulling for him hard but forgive us if we don't have rosy feelings about the status of the program.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
What does it mean to "ignite" the room? Iowa Central was pretty good before he arrived.

We will all be pulling for him hard but forgive us if we don't have rosy feelings about the status of the program.

You're right; Iowa Central was pretty good before he arrived. But if you ask Coach Moffit, he helped their 184 earn a national title and brought a certain attitude, intensity, desire...and an expectation to win. I hope you all will be pulling for him, because he'll be busting his *** to win a national title and to help the Cyclones in any way. I am very sorry that many of you have a sour taste in your mouth about the program. Hopefully, things will turn around. Go Cyclones.

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
You're right; Iowa Central was pretty good before he arrived. But if you ask Coach Moffit, he helped their 184 earn a national title and brought a certain attitude, intensity, desire...and an expectation to win. I hope you all will be pulling for him, because he'll be busting his *** to win a national title and to help the Cyclones in any way. I am very sorry that many of you have a sour taste in your mouth about the program. Hopefully, things will turn around. Go Cyclones.

If he's anywhere near a national title, I think folks around here will be very pleased. Yes, go Cyclones.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Great to get talent in the room, makes everybody better. Go Pat! Go Cyclones!

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
With a 5th place finish it's near enough for me to be excited about him!!

If he hadn't lost to Burak in SV, he would have seen Pfarr for the 3rd time and would have been going for 3rd; close, but no cigar. And, with the seesaw weight changes, he came in at 192...light for a 197. Regardless, as a sophomore, he still found a way to become the highest placing Cyclone. Nice job, Patrick.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron