Parking in Iowa City

clone26

Jan 30, 2009
DSM
www.explorethemetro.com
My roommate from college is flying in for the Iowa game. We are planning on heading to IC on Friday night, crashing there, tailgating and going to the game on Saturday.
We plan on tailgating at the lot next to Carver Hawkeye. Does anyone know a place to park close to there where we won't be blocked in after the game? We plan on coming back to DSM that evening.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
My roommate from college is flying in for the Iowa game. We are planning on heading to IC on Friday night, crashing there, tailgating and going to the game on Saturday.
We plan on tailgating at the lot next to Carver Hawkeye. Does anyone know a place to park close to there where we won't be blocked in after the game? We plan on coming back to DSM that evening.

depending on how far you wanted to walk, there is a long-term lot across the street from carver. if you come in on the coralville strip from the west, take a right at the lights to go up the hill to hancher (not sure the name of this street) you'll take a right to the long-term lot. I'm sure this lot will be full, so my advise is to get there as early as possible. that is one option.

clone26

Jan 30, 2009
DSM
www.explorethemetro.com
depending on how far you wanted to walk, there is a long-term lot across the street from carver. if you come in on the coralville strip from the west, take a right at the lights to go up the hill to hancher (not sure the name of this street) you'll take a right to the long-term lot. I'm sure this lot will be full, so my advise is to get there as early as possible. that is one option.

How early on Friday? And it's across the street from Carver-Hawkeye?

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
How early on Friday? And it's across the street from Carver-Hawkeye?

I don't know about timing. The earlier the better. The closer you are to Kinnick, the harder it will be.

I think that lot I am referring to is called the Finkbine Commuter lot - here is a quick map:

http://www.uiowa.edu/~cambus/map_hospital.jpg

edit: I referred to the 'coralville strip' it is Highway 6 on the map I provided.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Here is another good possibility for you: When I've gone to a game in Iowa City, I'll park at Hancher auditorium parking lot (free) got a ride from the Cambus that picks you up near the auditorium (free) and it takes you to near the Medical School Library. From there it is a quick and easy walk to Kinnick. But you could also easily walk to Carver. The bus picks you up at the Library stop after the game back to Hancher as well, if you are so inclined.

Free Shuttles
Several UI parking lots offer free parking and free shuttles to the game. The Hancher Auditorium parking lot shuttle will pick up in front of Clapp Hall and drop off at the bus loop on Newton Road. The Hawkeye Commuter parking lot offers free parking and free shuttle pick up at the shelter house in the lot and drop off at the bus stop on Elliott Drive east of Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The UI Athletics Hall of Fame Parking Lot offers free parking and a free shuttle pick up at the parking lot and drop off at the bus stop on Elliott Drive east of Carver-Hawkeye Arena. All shuttle service begins two hours prior to kickoff.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
The Dental School lot is right across the street (east) from Carver. That is a donor lot, permit required. If you want easy out, park at Coral Ridge Mall and take the Hawkeye Express train ($10 each) to the game. It is actually quite handy, runs on the half hour and drops you just a few steps from the SW gate to Kinnick.

I live in Coralville and there's no way on God's green earth that I'd drive in there if I wanted to get out in decent time. I ride my bicycle when I go to Kinnick.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
The Dental School lot is right across the street (east) from Carver. That is a donor lot, permit required. If you want easy out, park at Coral Ridge Mall and take the Hawkeye Express train ($10 each) to the game. It is actually quite handy, runs on the half hour and drops you just a few steps from the SW gate to Kinnick.

I live in Coralville and there's no way on God's green earth that I'd drive in there if I wanted to get out in decent time. I ride my bicycle when I go to Kinnick.

I was going to suggest the train - i've done that before too. but i didn't park at the mall, i parked in the gravel lot by the train. i assume that is still there.

But, that is why i park at hancher. easy in, and easy out. if you don't mind a little walking and bus ride.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
I don't remember what the name of the lot by the UI Athletic Hall of fame is called, but there are buses that run from there to Kinnick. I don't remember if the buses stop there after the game though...

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
I don't remember what the name of the lot by the UI Athletic Hall of fame is called, but there are buses that run from there to Kinnick. I don't remember if the buses stop there after the game though...

Park in Cedar Rapids. You'll end up walking about the same distance and nobody will key your car for having ISU plates or stickers.