Pac-12 to decide whether to expand within a couple weeks

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
It's so frustrating that the SEC and B1G were in a position to f*** over the Big 12 and Pac-12, respectively, and Iowa State would be fine in 3 of the possible 4 scenarios:

1. Neither gets f***ed - status quo
2. Both get f***ed - Big 12 and Pac-12 leftovers merge into a league that is still at the table
3. Only Pac-12 gets f***ed - now we can consider expanding west, or not
4. Only Big 12 gets f***ed - we are f***ed

And the 4th one is the one that's gonna happen

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It's so frustrating that the SEC and B1G were in a position to f*** over the Big 12 and Pac-12, respectively, and Iowa State would be fine in 3 of the possible 4 scenarios:

2. Both get f***ed - Big 12 and Pac-12 leftovers merge into a league that is still at the table

Eat a Snickers

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Nobody ****** anybody. This was exactly what every single one of us said they were going to say. They even said the three key words "at this time" like we anticipated. This is FAR from over.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Nobody ****** anybody. This was exactly what every single one of us said they were going to say. They even said the three key words "at this time" like we anticipated. This is FAR from over.

The SEC/OU/UT definitely f***ed the Big 12. That's not really debatable at this point

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The PAC commissioner made some comments in the initial panic following OuT's betrayal that got the ball rolling for this announcement today. He said several inbound requests had come in that they would review.

Since then, the Big 12 as a group has come to their collective senses and are trying to negotiate the best result they can knowing they will have the time to do so. I am sure the recently concluded agreement of the conference alliance between ACC/B1G/PAC discussed how that process might work, and everyone understands that there is plenty of time now to do this right.

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
Yep. No surprise. We'll just have to wait until the Pac 12 decides to move, just not at this time.

Now, snarky comment alert: Do you remember the last time a conference said it won't expand? What happened to it?

I don't recall if that other conference ever left the door open for future options, but I might be mistaken. I don't have the time or the energy to review what that conference finally said when it went to 10 members.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Big 12 with something like BYU, Boise, Cinci, and UCF would be fun to watch in football and the top team would still be relevant for play off discussions even if the playoff is not expanded. Sub Houston or Memphis. I see good basketball and the Big 12 being light years ahead of the remaining AAC/MWC schools.

However, I honestly believe Wannstedt was correct. Just like ISU's announcement a month ago that was all posturing to make sure OUTx,SEC,ESPN all pay up. I believe the PAC isn't expanding "at this time" because they want to help make sure they pay up. Once that's figured out, I choose to believe all remaining of the 8 have a home within this alliance. They want the big 12 to do well, I read as they want us to get our payout from those teams leaving and then will accept us with open arms.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
To expand on my previous thought, let's say they can negotiate with Fox with the idea that they will be adding a certain number of schools. Let's say the new payout will start at $35 million per school and escalate to $50 million at the end of the contract.

Once the settlement is reached with OU and UT, whatever teams the PAC 12 (or Big Ten for that matter) have their eyes on will have that financial windfall that allows them to accept a 50% share for a few years, then $75%, etc until they get up to a full share.

I understand all this, I'm just 1) skeptical that the Pac-12 needs to play ball on our terms here when they could probably have some or all of the Big 12 teams regardless, and 2) skeptical that two commissioners barely months on the job, a commissioner in his second year, and a commissioner whose conference is hanging on by its fingernails can cooperate and coordinate to the degree needed to pull this off.

I'm curious though, what is the origin of this theory? Whose idea was it that this is what's actually happening? And has there been any substantiation at all or this pure message board speculation?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I know this has been brought up before, but came someone paraphrase it again?
By playing THIS fall in the B12, does OuT forfeit any moneys?
If not, do they forfeit anything? We know their votes no longer matter, but what else?

Thanks!

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I wish people would stop thinking any power 5 school is going to join a B12 league with zero stability and likely slated for either decommission or degraded to G5 status.
just please think about that for a min. If you were an Arizona AD, prez, alum or fan...why would you want to go to the B12?

Big12 will work with the lawyers then put together a path of expansion once the dust settles.
if all or majority of the schools have not been invited to other leagues, then the Big12 will probably go after a couple teams (Cincy, Houston, Memphis, BYU, UCF would be on the short list). I think we all know this is not good for ISU.

if the B12 has the majority of the teams join the ACC/B1G/PAC then the league goes bye bye and the remaining end up in either the AAC or Mountain West.

This pac12 announcement was worthless and expected.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'm not even arguing this idea can't ultimately prove true. Just that it rests on a lot of trust and goodwill between people who might have some shred of common interest but no historical working relationship, and it depends on a lot of things happening that might not happen.

I bet Ollie Luck knows some people at Stanford...

You do have a point, and there is a LOT to be done if the Pac takes some Big12 teams (whether KU/ISU go B1g or not). But they have time. Nobody is going anywhere for AT LEAST a year. Only took OuT six months.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
As most of us said for a while now. There is NOTHING they can say except "we aren't expanding at this time" if any potential expansion plans were to include the Big 12.

Does this mean the WILL expand? No. There will be two trigger points that will likely influence the PAC 12, ACC and Big 10 to re-evaluate expansion. The first big one is having clarity on the legal issues of OU, UT and ESPN.

There are no schools of the remaining that can afford to put themselves in a GoR bind, as they will be asked by any of these conferences to forgo some media rights for a period. So there can be no expansion with remaining Big 12 teams until the current GoR mess with UT and OU is clear.

This was the ONLY thing that could be said.

This statement was 100% predictable, and the poor conclusions and panic drawn from it is as well.

Everybody needs to chill out. ESPN has incredible motivation to get a majority of the remaining teams placed into power conferences or help ensure a new Big 12 is at a power conference level with access to CFP, likely autobid in a 12 team scenario.

Head on over and spend some time in the Wanstadt thread as that seems to be where it has been discussed. That's probably a sentence that has never been typed in the history of mankind.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
As most of us said for a while now. There is NOTHING they can say except "we aren't expanding at this time" if any potential expansion plans were to include the Big 12.

Does this mean the WILL expand? No. There will be two trigger points that will likely influence the PAC 12, ACC and Big 10 to re-evaluate expansion. The first big one is having clarity on the legal issues of OU, UT and ESPN.

There are no schools of the remaining that can afford to put themselves in a GoR bind, as they will be asked by any of these conferences to forgo some media rights for a period. So there can be no expansion with remaining Big 12 teams until the current GoR mess with UT and OU is clear.

This was the ONLY thing that could be said.

This statement was 100% predictable, and the poor conclusions and panic drawn from it is as well.

Everybody needs to chill out. ESPN has incredible motivation to get a majority of the remaining teams placed into power conferences or help ensure a new Big 12 is at a power conference level with access to CFP, likely autobid in a 12 team scenario.

Head on over and spend some time in the Wanstadt thread as that seems to be where it has been discussed. That's probably a sentence that has never been typed in the history of mankind.
Yep, everything hinges on the resolution of the OU/UT situation. If ESPN wants their new prizes into their prized league earlier, they will have to pony up. Until then, Mr. Luck is probably telling everyone else to hold tight, and let the Hateful 8 lawyers do their thing.

Once OU and UT have officially left, the other 8 are free to disband the league if they feel they hare secure in their landing spots.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron