Other WBB games of interest from last night

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Kansas 67, @ Oklahoma State 52
@ Nebraska 52, Kansas State 47

Kansas is playing much better ball. That makes their win over us @ Kansas look a little better from our perspective. It also makes our game against them @ Hilton look more difficult.

After OSU won @ Texas, they found themselves on the NCAA bubble but in a good position to make it. They just lost two games they needed to win (home games vs Tech and Kansas) and basically need to win all of their last three games, including @ Oklahoma and @ A&M.

KSU is struggling with Lehning's issues with mono. She was out three games. They won two at home (OSU and Colorado) and lost one on the road (Missouri). She played only 14 minutes in the Nebraska game and did not score.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
3-way tie for 4th place currently and ISU is only a game out of 3rd place. I would love to see us get in at least the 4-hole so we can get that 1st round bye in the Big XII Tournament.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I felt bad rooting for NU last night, but I so wanted KSU to lose.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
what happened to OSU? Were they that overrated going into Big XII play? It was supposed to be this big upset when we beat them, doesn't look that way now.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
what happened to OSU? Were they that overrated going into Big XII play? It was supposed to be this big upset when we beat them, doesn't look that way now.

OSU = Andrea Riley. When she plays well, they play well. When she plays poorly, they play poorly. She'll put up a really bad shot that barely draws iron one moment and then hit a running jumper that defies belief the next. She scored 18 in the Kansas game but took 28 shots. She's impossible to stop and makes her team better by breaking down defenses and dishing it off, but she's prone to occasional serious lapses in judgement at crucial times. You have to force her into jumpshots -- that's what we did when she scored 32 points on us but took 28 shots doing it.

Some amazing stats:
Riley has attempted 526 FG this year, more than twice as many as anyone else on the team and nearly a third of the team's attempts. She's averaging 23.7 ppg but taking 20.3 FG per game.

She also has 160 assists, nearly half of the team's total and 2.5 times as many as anybody else on the team.

Between her 194 FG and 160 assists, she's scored or assisted on 354 of her team's 671 FG (53%).

She's also accounted for 178 of their 375 made FT and 236 of their 536 attempted FT. Shaunte' Smith is #2 for OSU in both of those categories at 57-93.

Last edited:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
3-way tie for 4th place currently and ISU is only a game out of 3rd place. I would love to see us get in at least the 4-hole so we can get that 1st round bye in the Big XII Tournament.

Interesting, because of the tiebreaker rules, we are currently one game ahead of KSU in our division, so if we tie KSU in conference games, and win out our games, we would at least be a 4 seed.

Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship Tiebreaking Procedures - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

KSU has three tough games left - Texas & Texas A&M at home, and at CU (Boulder is never easy, and its CU's last home game)

Texas has Baylor, KSU and OU on their schedule.

Texas A & M has KSU, Baylor, and OSU.

Clearly we have the easiest shedule left, however, I think all three will be tough.

The unfortunate thing for the Big 12, is everyone is beating up on each other.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Actually, right now I believe Texas would have the 4 seed via tiebreak rules. Texas has to lose a game for us to win out and get a 4 seed (or A&M or Baylor would have to lose enough to get below us).

I think.

"If three or more teams are tied, ties among divisional opponents will be broken first by using steps (b) through (f) and the head-to-head results will be used to break ties between non-divisional teams."

So we would first beat out K State and then Texas beat us in head-to-head so Texas 4, ISU 5, K State 6.

I think.