On That Note: The Paisley Underground, part 2

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
On That Note: The Paisley Underground, part 2

Welcome back to Mean Dean/cyclones500 weekly music series. Here’s part 14 (and 7th of “It’s My Vault”)

The Paisley Underground, part 2 (see part 1 here).

One of the few bands from the P-Underground class that is currently active and also released a studio album in 2017.

Summary:
The Dream Syndicate formed in 1981, Los Angeles. Disbanded in 1989, reunited in 2012. Original members were Steve Wynn (vocals, guitar), Kendra Smith (bass), Karl Precoda (lead guitar) and Dennis Duck (drums). Early Dream Syndicate sound were anchored in pop song structure, but often ventured into feedback-drenched jams. (Prime example, see “Then She Remembers” below)

Smith left the band in 1983, following release of the group’s debut album, “The Days of Wine and Roses,” eventually joining Opal. Mark Walton stepped into her place on the band’s second studio release, “Medicine Show.”

Precoda departed after that album to pursue a career in screenwriting, and was supplanted by Paul Cutler (who had produced the band’s EP in 1982) for the third album, “Out of the Grey.” Cutler brought a more technically polished approach, but sometimes lacked the frenzied 6-string interplay of Wynn/Precoda.

By then, though, Wynn (the primary creative force) had begun to embrace a folkier/bluesy side, although his work continued to contain elements of fringe-noise on numerous solo recordings and side projects (such as Gutterball).

Enough of my yakkin’ --- let’s boogie. We’ll start with a recent track, then start from the beginning.

“Filter Me Through You,” the opening track on “How Did I Find Myself Here?” (2017, Anti-). I’ve only begun to indulge the new release. Early listens suggest a modern take on the band’s early-‘80s vibe. “Out of My Head” is a prime example.

STARTING POINT
“The Days of Wine and Roses”
(1982, Ruby/Slash; reissued on Rhino and Rough Trade). A seminal moment that generated enough buzz to land a contract with A&M. The Dream Syndicate toured as opener for R.E.M. ca. 1984, but never truly broke into the next level. That’s a shame: Mainstream appeal has yet to catch up with his rate of endurance. He also is a criminally underrated lyricist.

Key tracks:
"Tell Me When It’s Over “

“That’s What You Always Say” is a highlight of “The Days of Wine and Roses,” but this live version from 2014 on KEXP may do it more justice (features the current unit of Wynn, Walton, Duck and Jason Victor). It stays true to the spirit of the original, then elevates it.

“Then She Remembers.” I cannot possibly elaborate. Just listen.

"Halloween." A nod toward a recent holiday (I play this song on Oct. 31 each year) … interestingly, this song was written by Precoda.

"The Days of Wine and Roses" was a tough act to follow. LPs that followed had improved production quality, but didn't always pack the same punch. It's dismissive to ignore them, though, even if you have to dig a little deeper to find the gems. Those are coming in my next post.

Last edited:
Reactions: IsUaClone2

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
PART B

“Medicine Show” (1984, A&M) … There was a critical/fan reaction to this one, claiming The Dream Syndicate of going “heavy metal” on this album. A simplistic accusation. My theory: Band members had longer hair than they did in 1983. Regardless, “Medicine Show” was a step back from the debut, lacking its abandoned charm.

It has at least one absolute keeper: “Still Holding on to You.” A more energized version is the set-opener for “Live at Raji’s” (1989, Enigma).

“Out of the Grey” (1986, Chrysalis) ... A serviceable Americana outing, it has the fewest signature songs of any Dream Syndicate release. It’s a modest driving record. Most enduring rocker is “Boston.”

UNDERRATED:
“Ghost Stories” (1989, Enigma). The final studio release during the band’s initial run, “Ghost Stories” is more like Steve Wynn’s transition-to-solo project than a unified effort. (Think of it as The Dream Syndicate version of “All Shook Down” by The Replacements). It could be the best front-to-back LP of the Syndicate’s initial run. If nothing else, it contains one of my favorite piano-driven ballads of all time, a late-80s yang to the early-80s yin.

“Whatever You Please”

Among my favorite lines from this one:
Would you like to trade convictions over a cheap bottle of wine?
You could tell me yours and I’d come up with mine.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Part C: Further listening.

From Steve Wynn's side-project/ 1990s "supergroup," Gutterball.

"Is There Something I Should Know"

“Trial Separation Blues”

"When You Make Up Your Mind"

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
“Trial Separation Blues”

I enjoyed Dream Syndicate and Gutterball.

One of the recommended vids after Trial Separation Blues was Janis Joplin's Me & Bobby McGee which cost me another hour of listening to one of my most favorite of-all-time singers, Janis Joplin. Not to take this thread off track (for long anyway) but the detour made me realize that throughout my high school and college years my favorite music was based on civil rights, Vietnam, drug experimentation, women's liberation, sexual freedom, and anti-establishmentarianism. The music and the underlying issues or causes did have an impact on me, some more than others and not always the way the writer or artist intended, but a decision point on who I am and the way I see my role in life.

I still listen to and love that stuff today. Thanks for the memories (that's how Bob Hope closed his radio and TV shows).

• Friendly
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
“Trial Separation Blues”

I enjoyed Dream Syndicate and Gutterball.

One of the recommended vids after Trial Separation Blues was Janis Joplin's Me & Bobby McGee which cost me another hour of listening to one of my most favorite of-all-time singers, Janis Joplin. Not to take this thread off track (for long anyway) but the detour made me realize that throughout my high school and college years my favorite music was based on civil rights, Vietnam, drug experimentation, women's liberation, sexual freedom, and anti-establishmentarianism. The music and the underlying issues or causes did have an impact on me, some more than others and not always the way the writer or artist intended, but a decision point on who I am and the way I see my role in life.

Insightful. Curious what other music you closely associate with those issues/values?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron