Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
I understand your opinion.

!. I don't discount your feelings for him. It is fine to care,

2, Ask TJ. I don't know.

3. I just feel that in this time we (ISU) are in a period where it is what it is. The thing that bothers me is when you say "running off". Define that. Does a coach sit down and tell you what you are looking like next year an you decide what you want to play somewhere else? That is not running anybody off.
I hate the term ”running off”. None of us know what is said in those conversations between TJ and player. It very well could be the players decision to leave.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Put the same rule on coaches then. If they want to leave for position that’s better for them than they should face same rules as players.

I have zero issue with transfer rules. Do feel NIL needs tweaked. All for kids making money while they can but don’t like how collectives have dominated vs kids making money on being truly marketable.

Imagine if every coach was on a one year deal and that’s how unsustainable this is right now.

Jeffreyisu

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
This is nonsensical. Are you seriously arguing that coaches don't evaluate the players to whom they offer scholarships?
My take away from his post wasn't that but that if you have a kid that's a 5 star McDonalds All American he has some serious potential. Bottom line, he was not improving nor developing at the rate the coaching staff expected when we clearly have a coaching staff that CAN develop players.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneLawman

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Guys this isnt hard. There are already six players on the roster next year better and more deserving of minutes than Omaha (Lipsey, Gilbert, C Jones, Momcilovic, Watson, Dishon Jackson). At the very least JT Rock and Indrusaitis would have been battling Omaha for minutes. Thats 7 and 8. I am sure TJ and staff are pursuing a couple additional high level transfers (that is 9 and 10).

I have ZERO doubt TJ and staff were 100% transparent with Omaha. I am sure they would have loved to have had him back and continue to develop, HOWEVER, as things currently stand, Omaha was going to be battling for end of rotation minutes. Best for Omaha to move on to a school with immediate playing time available so he can DEVELOP.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
People can say whatever they want, but ISU had the highest rated recruiting class in its history less than 18 months ago and all but one of them are about to be gone. That is a failure. Either they whiffed on evaluation or they whiffed on development.

If this is how it's going to be, why bother recruiting high school kids at all? Isn't it a massive waste of time and effort? How can any recruit or parent take you seriously when almost every single freshman you've recruited, you've run off?
By this statement, then not only did Iowa State miss but all the recruiting services and other schools who offered these guys did too.

If this recruiting class was in 2012 I would bet almost all of them would have stayed. It’s just a different era with easier mobility.

I mean look at Darlingstone Dubar (remember him?) he was considered a bust went down a level, developed and got older and now is transferring with a list 20+ long including some blue bloods.

Reactions: Cytown12

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Guys this isnt hard. There are already six players on the roster next year better and more deserving of minutes than Omaha (Lipsey, Gilbert, C Jones, Momcilovic, Watson, Dishon Jackson). At the very least JT Rock and Indrusaitis would have been battling Omaha for minutes. Thats 7 and 8. I am sure TJ and staff are pursuing a couple additional high level transfers (that is 9 and 10).

I have ZERO doubt TJ and staff were 100% transparent with Omaha. I am sure they would have loved to have had him back and continue to develop, HOWEVER, as things currently stand, Omaha was going to be battling for end of rotation minutes. Best for Omaha to move on to a school with immediate playing time available so he can DEVELOP.
With one or two more high level transfers and a "Momcilovic type" freshman campaign from Rock or Indrusaitis, this is a top 5 caliber roster and Final 4 contender. Omaha was not going to have a critical role.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
How much damage can a kid do when you're up by 45? I made the same argument in a lot of those game threads and there was never a reasonable answer. If the problem is 'Omaha is going to fast' or 'Omaha isn't in the right position on defense', then how do you get improvement without experience? Because the only think that's going to calm a Freshman's nerves are getting used to the stage with minutes.

There is no denying Omaha's athletic ability.
1) I want Omaha to succeed. Seemed like a great kid, caused NO problems and looked very supportive to the team. So, I DO want him to have success and a great life.

2) I was one of those folks that was suggesting he shouldn't be in becuase he had no idea of what was going on on either end. He did get from one end to the other when appropriate, but when he got there, he had no clue what to do.

3) By this stage in your career you need to possess a rudimentary understanding of BASIC basketball best practices like basic positioning on D, how to post (if you are a big guy), who to and when to pass the ball (for most, but ESPECIALLY point guards), and have a couple moves that you show promise on being able to pull off. Omaha showed none of these things in any game this year.

4) You do not learn your position or earn playing time in games. You do both of those things in practice. THEN you get spot minutes to prove that what you are showing promise in in practice, CAN translate to the competition floor. I am pretty sure, he was a) not showing a lot of progress in practice or b) his translation of those advancements never came during game time.

I wished he could have stayed. Whatever the reason for his departure, it kind of stinks. Today's NCAA is not a long term relationship building scenario. It is a pro ball without any rules. Since this is the way it is, it was obvious that Omaha and ISU would split ways.

No one has time to develop a player for more than one season and no player has time to sit on the bench for ANY period of time unless they are recuperating.

Good luck Omaha. Go out there and show us what you can really do!

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
If you are equating "running off" a player to recruiting a better player, then yes. Isn't that the point? getting better players?
This has always been the point in professional sports, but college teams, except for the blue bloods, used to have space for players to develop and move up the roster. Obviously that is no longer the case and I feel a sense of loss. I'll get over it or move on to other pastimes.

This really isn't about Omaha and I should really be posting in the general ISU transfer thread. It's not even about Pav. I think Omaha had a choice and Pav could see he wasn't going to be getting more minutes with the returning guards. But Fish and Hamilton seem to be getting actively recruited over. That's just my opinion, but if accurate, I can't bring myself to consider it something worth celebrating.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Lol, "not every single one will pan out." As if we've whiffed on like one kid, instead of almost literally all of them.
Ok. ISU has whiffed on every one of them. Close the doors and board up Hilton. Prohm was the whiffer. Everything since is part of the repair effort-- which has gone pretty well.

Is it not possible that the staff had longer term plans for Omaha but his pride and his handlers couldn't allow for patience?

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
From the people who actually know things it sounds like Omaha was not run off. The staff wanted him to stay but were honest with him about what his role was likely to be next year based on his development and players they will likely have incoming. His camp wants him to get minutes and some of them have been in his ear about wanting him to leave for a long time now.

Let me ask you and everyone else who is all upset about this, do you think the staff should have played him more minutes than he deserved based on his development to placate his people and keep him at ISU? Or should the staff make promises they don't intend to keep? Is that the kind of program you want TJ to run? From my observation that doesn't tend to work out well.
Glad to hear this. I'm not sure where Omaha thinks he's going to go that's a better situation for him to make the changes he needs to get to the league. Simply playing more minutes at a lower level isn't going to do it-he needs to respond to coaching, which TJ and staff were prepared to give him. Unfortunately he needs more time to develop than maybe he is willing to admit.

Reactions: exCYtable

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
Eh, or every player is a calculated risk with varying levels of risk\reward. They may have identified Omaha was a high risk high reward type player, and sometimes it makes sense to grab those because of the potential upside. Clearly the rest of the roster was solid enough we could afford to take that kind of gamble.

After a year that math may have changed if the projected upside 'reward' is now lower at least in the immediate future.
There’s also the reality of recruiting and landing the best talent. Winning recruiting cycles. Landing Omaha got a lot of good pub for ISU.

Likewise, you don’t know how everything will turn out when talent gets on campus.

For every Omaha that doesn’t pan out there’s 1,000 Rob Jones that never improve.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
How anyone is complain about minutes, usage or this staffs ability to recruit and/or develop after the season we had is beyond me.

This isn’t 2008 anymore. Adapt or die. TJ chooses to adapt daily and keeps winning and people cry about it.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Why is this disgusting? It’s how TJ has made us such a lethal program in just three years.
Maybe not a great choice of words but I just miss the days of development and projection on kids.

More personal preference I guess but adapt or die. It's basically the Euro Leagues now. One year contracts, move up or down based on performance.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick