Old Mediocre Has-Been Desperate To Appear Relevant; aka JBo To Return

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I saw a study that put a value on the access to training equipment ( like an elite-level gym membership e.g.), training table, study table, etc. They estimated a four year scholarship at a D1 school is conservatively worth $250k+. So the question is, if you start paying athletes, what do you then start charging them for?

That's precisely the problem. Let's say the NCAA were dismantled and it became a free market for athletes, the wealthy schools will thrive and then other 90% will suffer big time.

These athletes get so much more than even just the high price scholarship - attire, access to trainers, first class training facilities, exposure to pro scouts, priceless experiences, a chance at leaving some terrible home situations, etc.

If this or similar efforts pass - which it is just a matter of time - I can guarantee you that ticket prices are going to spiral out of control and most of us normal fans will be priced out. Somebody has to pay the ever increasing bill this will create.

• Winner
Reactions: ILikeCy

StagecoachMike

Mar 24, 2021
That's precisely the problem. Let's say the NCAA were dismantled and it became a free market for athletes, the wealthy schools will thrive and then other 90% will suffer big time.

These athletes get so much more than even just the high price scholarship - attire, access to trainers, first class training facilities, exposure to pro scouts, priceless experiences, a chance at leaving some terrible home situations, etc.

If this or similar efforts pass - which it is just a matter of time - I can guarantee you that ticket prices are going to spiral out of control and most of us normal fans will be priced out. Somebody has to pay the ever increasing bill this will create.

I believe they would still want what the schools are giving them, and the money that the players get wouldn't so much come from the schools themselves, but entities away from the school, sort of third-party like. Not that that's any better. However, if someone like Bohannon thinks he's going to get a huge windfall of cash from this, like everything else he's envisioned, he's going to be foolishly mistaken.

StagecoachMike

Mar 24, 2021
Most high schools have that one kid who never leaves the high school in some fashion after they graduate. They're at every school function, or they become a janitor. Jordan Bohannon is becoming the college version of that.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Dear Jordan

You've always done things the white way and I will always love you for that. However, I need you to move on so I can use your subsidized housing for another one of my kids.

Best of luck

Moon Family Coach Kirkkk Ferentz

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Dear Jordan,

The SE Cedar Rapids Jimmy John’s isn’t going to assistant manager itself next year. Suck a fat one.

Yours Truly,

Zach McCabe

Isn't Bobo a Linn Mar kid?

Like he'd ever go to Cedar Rapids outside of the high school gymnasiums.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
He's got a 4-1 record vs us, but it might be fun to have him in Hilton one more time. I'd puke my guts out if we lost another to him by double-digs.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I bet it must suck to see yourself as loved and cherished by your fanbase, only to get the types of responses he's getting. I really feel bad for the little feller.:mccaffery:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It absolutely is... but what is the actual fix? There is no way to set a standard or value for players at this level. Then, once you set that value say their Freshman year and they blow up as a Sophomore, do they get to renegotiate each year? What if their value goes down? Who's bank account does the money come from because it'll get passed to us consumers one way or another. And do they also get scholarships still, because if so, that's an unfair advantage most students don't get. And how in the world do you keep this from being exploited and abused by dirty schools?

It's just a pandoras box that once you open it, much of the joy of college athletics - including the parity - will be gone forever. The "value" of playing for Kansas or Duke is going to be meaningfully higher than playing at an Iowa State so what little parity in being able to attract Top 100 kids will be absolutely gone.

The NCAA is evil in many ways, but these kids also wouldn't be getting a free education and a chance at a pro career without much of the perks that they already get because of the NCAA. It'll never be enough and sports will absolutely suck within 5 years of opening pandoras box.
I'm not advocating for anything other than NIL rights. Let a player make money off of their name if they can. That's pure capitalism and it doesn't cost the schools any extra than they're currently paying. If Jorbo can get a dollar for putting his name on an advertisement for Rex's Auto Detailing and Shoe Repair, then more power to him. Any other student is allowed to do the same if they are able. I don't see why athletes should be any different.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Can you imagine if Perry Ellis was able to profit off his likeness from the 17 years he was at Kansas?

Reactions: jctisu