Oklahoma and the Big 12

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
Why is Oklahoma riding the coattails of their hated rival Texas? (other than the obvious money).

David Boren and Joe Castiglione have stated they wanted the Big 12 to survive.

They could remain in the Big 12, along with Okie State, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State and Missouri and retain the automatic BCS bid with 6 schools. This would also keep 5 of the 6 original Big 6 institutions intact as a unit.

This group could then add any number of other schools (BYU, UTAH, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc).

Bottom line is OU could be the big fish in the Big 12.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
$$$$$

No Texas = no tv revenue. And none of the teams you've mentioned, even in whole, come close to matching what Texas brings to the vault.

Seems like they're strange bed-fellows. Really they're not.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Why is Oklahoma riding the coattails of their hated rival Texas? (other than the obvious money).

David Boren and Joe Castiglione have stated they wanted the Big 12 to survive.

They could remain in the Big 12, along with Okie State, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State and Missouri and retain the automatic BCS bid with 6 schools. This would also keep 5 of the 6 original Big 6 institutions intact as a unit.

This group could then add any number of other schools (BYU, UTAH, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc).

Bottom line is OU could be the big fish in the Big 12.

End thread... :jimlad:

Honestly, if OU wanted to be the big dog, separation from a school that has basically used them for 15 years to get what they want (even though they have been a beneficiary), and be the leaders that form a conference that at least has some baby teeth, they could do it. The problem is I fear that $$$ will prevent them from doing this.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm also a bit baffled at OU playing second-fiddle to Texas. I suppose money talks but in your scenario they could really play "savior" to the Big XII and come out looking like a million bucks. Keep these teams together, bring in 5/6 more teams as needed (BYU/Utah/Cincinnati foremost), and get a monster contract with Fox (the national version) for a Saturday night game each week.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
In a scenario where OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, & MU stand together and the remaining 6 leave, that's $90M to split between 6.

I would venture to guess that by picking up BYU, Utah, TCU, Louisville, Cincy, and if either CU or even Neb. stay put, you could get a decent TV contract even without Texas.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Come on folks.

ISU, KSU, KU, MIzzou, OU, OSU and then say BYU, Utah, BSU, Cinci and just for kicks Louisiville or Memphis. Take your pick.

Who's paying for a tv contract for that? Nobody. That's a miserable lineup with about 10 tv sets watching. Sucks to admit, but UT is the draw. NU might be second (as nutty as their fans are).

If what you guys are saying is true - why did we bother bringing the old SWC into the Big 8 to begin with?

That's why OU has hitched the Boomer wagon to UT. Not sure we hear them EVER crying about getting screwed over by the Big XII or UT.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
In a scenario where OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, & MU stand together and the remaining 6 leave, that's $90M to split between 6.

I would venture to guess that by picking up BYU, Utah, TCU, Louisville, Cincy, and if either CU or even Neb. stay put, you could get a decent TV contract even without Texas.

With the exception of ISU getting a secret invite to the Big 10, this could be the best case scenario for us.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Come on folks.

ISU, KSU, KU, MIzzou, OU, OSU and then say BYU, Utah, BSU, Cinci and just for kicks Louisiville or Memphis. Take your pick.

Who's paying for a tv contract for that? Nobody.

If what you guys are saying is true - why did we bother bringing the old SWC into the Big 8 to begin with?

Because we got greedy 15 years ago - much like the members of the Big 10 and Pac 10 are today. Our problem is it came back and bit us in the ***.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Come on folks.

Who's paying for a tv contract for that? Nobody. That's a miserable lineup with about 10 tv sets watching.

That's why OU has hitched the Boomer wagon to UT. Not sure we hear them EVER crying about getting screwed over by the Big XII or UT.

But one of those TVs would be Steve Young's!
steve_young.bmp

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Because we got greedy 15 years ago - much like the members of the Big 10 and Pac 10 are today. Our problem is it came back and bit us in the ***.

True, and that greed hasn't subsided. Certainly not from those who could potentially profit even more. (OU)

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
Integrity would have to come into play here.

Unfortunately Integrity has nothing to do with what is now happening in CFB.

:sad::sad::sad:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Because it has served them pretty well???

4 BCS championship game appearances (the most of any team) to UT's 2...

7 overall BCS appearances (tied for second most) to UT's 4...

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Come on folks.

Who's paying for a tv contract for that? Nobody. That's a miserable lineup with about 10 tv sets watching. Sucks to admit, but UT is the draw. NU might be second (as nutty as their fans are).

I don't completely disagree with your assessment but college football has become an entity that is watched no matter who is playing. I'm too lazy to look up official numbers but games played on national networks during primetime are going to get ratings no matter what teams are playing (teams in BCS-type conferences at least, which is what this theoretical group would be).

The above grouping would have the Des Moines/Omaha, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, & Memphis/Louisville markets....not the worst possible lineup imaginable.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't completely disagree with your assessment but college football has become an entity that is watched no matter who is playing. I'm too lazy to look up official numbers but games played on national networks during primetime are going to get ratings no matter what teams are playing (teams in BCS-type conferences at least, which is what this theoretical group would be).

The above grouping would have the Des Moines/Omaha, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, & Memphis/Louisville markets....not the worst possible lineup imaginable.

Ok - you're right. Not the worst.

But I think the talking heads have been pointing out the contract in place with ESPN and the ACC? Who signed the SEC? Fox is likely to nab the PAC1x.

Who's left and with what money? There will be tv. But how much money? I can't believe it's in the same league as the 4 mega's.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Ok - you're right. Not the worst.

But I think the talking heads have been pointing out the contract in place with ESPN and the ACC? Who signed the SEC? Fox is likely to nab the PAC1x.

Who's left and with what money? There will be tv. But how much money? I can't believe it's in the same league as the 4 mega's.

Versus/NBC? Have the new league sign a scheduling agreement with ND (I think they'll have more trouble filling their schedule than they're used to) to open the door there.