****Official Class Of 2024 Recruiting Thread****

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Well said. I can tell "Pierce is a PG" is going to become a weird CF thing.

People should view Pierce in a THT like role. Versatile player who can handle the ball and initiate offense.
I think your point is one anyone that has watched his film/games could see. Had it been positioned that way I don’t know that it would have gotten the reaction it has.

The assertion he was specifically recruited as a PG is making people scratch their heads given he’s never really played they position by all accounts.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I think your point is one anyone that has watched his film/games could see. Had it been positioned that way I don’t know that it would have gotten the reaction it has.

The assertion he was specifically recruited as a PG is making people scratch their heads given he’s never really played they position by all accounts.

Yeah, I think there was some confusion with us passing on Asuma and taking Pierce instead. They're very different players but we also have two true PG's in the fold for the next 2-3 years so it's understandable why the staff may wait until 2025 for their next pure PG.

Pierce is a secondary or tertiary ball handler with some playmaking capabilities. Probably even less of a "PG" than Holmes is but there may be some similarities in the role they play. Also some development still to take place as Pierce is still 1.5 years away from even stepping foot on campus.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

If he plays PG I will double my WEWILL contribution. Nothing I have seen makes me believe that.

Reactions: CyPunch and nrg4isu

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
If he plays PG I will double my WEWILL contribution. Nothing I have seen makes me believe that.
I said this early on and then CW came out in his podcast that night and said staff was recruiting him as a PG. Think Pierce said something about playing the 1 in an interview after his commitment as well.

Like you, I’m still skeptical because we’ve got two true PGs through Pierce’s sophomore year (assuming Lipsey and Williams stay all 4 eligible years) and nothing I’ve found on Pierce suggests he’s played PG before.

But taking the word of those close to the staff and Pierce himself.

In the meantime, I’m more on board with this idea he could play a Holmes kind of roll or the THT versatility comparisons.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclonehomer

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I said this early on and then CW came out in his podcast that night and said staff was recruiting him as a PG. Think Pierce said something about playing the 1 in an interview after his commitment as well.

Like you, I’m still skeptical because we’ve got two true PGs through Pierce’s sophomore year (assuming Lipsey and Williams stay all 4 eligible years) and nothing I’ve found on Pierce suggests he’s played PG before.

But taking the word of those close to the staff and Pierce himself.

In the meantime, I’m more on board with this idea he could play a Holmes kind of roll or the THT versatility comparisons.

I look at it more of a Monte/Kane or Blalock/Stinson guard situaiton. Can never have enough ballhandlers- especially if those guys can finish at the rim & hit 3's.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
The best teams have multiple ball handlers. IDC what the staff or a 16 year old are saying 2 years from their arrival.

This kid looks perfect for the Kane, THT, Holmes role. He's a jump shot away from being a stud
Agree with you 100% - especially the part about the timing. A lot can happen in that time. Both in terms of our program and roster but also in terms of Pierce’s development.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I don't think we should take the "Pierce is a PG" stuff as an absolute certainty, but I also trust TJ and the staff's evaluation a lot more than anyone here. So if they think he can be a PG and not just a secondary facilitator, I'm inclined to believe them. From what I've seen, I haven't seen enough of his passing ability, but it looks like he at least has a really strong handle.

Also, roles in high school/AAU can be quite different from roles in college. Otz is probably a lot better at matching skills to roles than pretty much every high school and AAU coach. Pierce's HS also looks to have a 2025 guy starting at PG right now. Being in the 2025 class, he doesn't have stars yet, but he has offers from Illinois and Creighton (247 profile), which might also impact Pierce's HS role.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I don't think we should take the "Pierce is a PG" stuff as an absolute certainty, but I also trust TJ and the staff's evaluation a lot more than anyone here. So if they think he can be a PG and not just a secondary facilitator, I'm inclined to believe them. From what I've seen, I haven't seen enough of his passing ability, but it looks like he at least has a really strong handle.

Also, roles in high school/AAU can be quite different from roles in college. Otz is probably a lot better at matching skills to roles than pretty much every high school and AAU coach. Pierce's HS also looks to have a 2025 guy starting at PG right now. Being in the 2025 class, he doesn't have stars yet, but he has offers from Illinois and Creighton (247 profile), which might also impact Pierce's HS role.
Agree with your take on his ability. His handle seems really impressive but I've mostly seen from film that used to get his own look than set up others like Lipsey.

My first thought was the idea that he could be a Kane-type player down the road. Can run the offense and shoot well enough, but really excels at exploiting smaller guards and brings a lot of defensive versatility.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
ISU listed in Tayshawn Bridges top 6.(Ohio State, Arizona State, Michigan State, Auburn, Georgetown, Iowa State). Combo guard out of Milwaukee, WI.
interesting that 247 doesn't list Tayshawn with and ISU offer. (he does have a Iowa offer but didn't make is cut which is funny that TJ makes the cut with out even offering)

I am not sure ISU is really going to add yet another HS school player but a highly rated PG would make sense.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
ISU listed in Tayshawn Bridges top 6.(Ohio State, Arizona State, Michigan State, Auburn, Georgetown, Iowa State). Combo guard out of Milwaukee, WI.
interesting that 247 doesn't list Tayshawn with and ISU offer. (he does have a Iowa offer but didn't make is cut which is funny that TJ makes the cut with out even offering)

I am not sure ISU is really going to add yet another HS school player but a highly rated PG would make sense.

The quote says he is talking to JR Blunt. So this must be legit

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Does anyone have the name of the new recruit in the house yesterday? I saw him walking around the concourse at halftime.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
Does anyone have the name of the new recruit in the house yesterday? I saw him walking around the concourse at halftime.
I only noticed Omaha and Fish that were in the house yesterday. Was there somebody else?

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Would love to see a line up of Lipsey, Hamilton/Pierce, Milan, Omaha, and Rock.

We’d have to drop the whole narrative about not being a bunch of 4/5 star recruits though.

And yes, Omaha very possibly one-and-done but I can dream, right?
Depends on how much NIL money he gets maybe on more than 1 year!

Reactions: NENick

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Are we still recruiting Asuma? A while back it was reported he would be at the Kansas game, but I'm not sure if we moved on with the addition of Pierce.