***Official Big 12 Expansion Thread '16***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I have multiple sources stating that the annual funding for aTm recorded on this list is a one-time anomaly.*

*Delt4cy: "Capital project funding cycles can skew this number year over year. aTm is wrapping up a massive stadium renovation project within this cycle if I'm not mistaken. That's why their "fundraising" portion of the revenue would look particularly out sized. Just did a quick glance at the methodology-"

*Boone7247: Please see history. aTm is not historically on UT level. I believe a bunch of that revenue is for the build out of their stadium. For the 5 previous years UT avg revenue per year is $156m while aTm's is $100m. That is a pretty big gap. Also see how their costs didn't increase that significantly. That tells me there was a specific fund raising event.

Also, am I doing this correctly to avoid accusations of plagiarism?

• Funny
Reactions: Clone2Dbone

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Which schools are bigger, or even come close to that? This is what you asked jbhtexas.
The question was asked in the context of the statement preceding it, which you completely ignored.

And regarding the A&M number you posted, as others have pointed out, it is an anomaly due to stadium renovation donations.

The report, obtained in response to an open-records request from USA TODAY Sports, showed that nearly $92 million of the total came from contributions to the athletics program. About $58.5 million of the donated funds were specifically related to Kyle Field’s redevelopment, athletics department CFO Jeff Toole said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...oins-college-sports-financial-elite/79567194/

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Throwing PC talk out the window for just a second....

The University of Houston has a total babe for a president. Helllooo, Renu Khator

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I have multiple sources stating that the annual funding for aTm recorded on this list is a one-time anomaly.*

*Delt4cy: "Capital project funding cycles can skew this number year over year. aTm is wrapping up a massive stadium renovation project within this cycle if I'm not mistaken. That's why their "fundraising" portion of the revenue would look particularly out sized. Just did a quick glance at the methodology-"

*Boone7247: Please see history. aTm is not historically on UT level. I believe a bunch of that revenue is for the build out of their stadium. For the 5 previous years UT avg revenue per year is $156m while aTm's is $100m. That is a pretty big gap. Also see how their costs didn't increase that significantly. That tells me there was a specific fund raising event.

Whoa, this guy has nearly double-digit sources.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
If KU loses AAU status and the Big12 breaks apart. They are probably better off dropping football and joining the Big East.

• Funny
Reactions: flander1649

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Interesting article (sorry if already posted) on how UT and Arkansas were supposed to join the SEC back in 1990, but TAMU got the Texas legislature to stop UT from going. Well, actually, the Texas legislature tried to force the SEC to take TAMU, but the SEC didn't want TAMU.
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2010/04/finebaum_how_texas_nearly_join.html

If anyone, the SEC is responsible for the "destruction" (if you want to call it that) of both the SWC and Big 8. After the 1984 Supreme Court ruling against the NCAA regarding TV rights, the CFA TV deal negotiated back in 1981 was upheld, and the Big Ten and Pac-10 (both of whom did not join the CFA), signed lucrative independent network deals with ABC.

If you check out the history, the "experts" at that time (1984-1990) generally speculated that the SEC was the most valuable conference in the CFA, and that the SEC would do financially much better by getting their own contract (like the Big Ten and Pac-10). Conversely, they also speculated that if the SEC left the CFA, the CFA would have a very difficult time negotiating a comparable TV contract without the SEC, Big Ten, and Pac-10.

The 1990 SEC expansion pretty much confirmed that the SEC was setting up for an exit from the CFA. In 1991, Notre Dame left the CFA and got a big TV deal with NBC. The SWC and Big 8 saw the writing on the wall that they were going to be left out financially if things remained as is, which at some point precipitated the negotiations to merge the two conferences. Ultimately, the SEC did leave the CFA in 1994, and got what at that time was an enormous TV contract.

Since the 1980's, conference realignment has always been about money.

Last edited:
Reactions: colbycheese

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I understand and know that. But what I was saying is that when the Big 10 was looking at adding their 12 member to the conference, there was fear that Nebraska was going to lose their AAU status. I was just stating that some Big 10 presidents weren't on board with adding Nebraska to the conference because they felt that Nebraska was going to lose their AAU membership down the road. Ultimately, those presidents went with the flow and accepted Nebraska anyways, despite the fear of them potentially losing their AAU membership later.

You have to keep in mind what is real and what is posturing. The Big 10 presidents knew that kNU was on their last AAU leg, they had been warned about getting their **** together for five years prior to being dumped. Big Ten universities knew they were going to be out. But they didn't emphasize it at all, as it was notany factor in their consideration for admission.

So they make a little noise--Michigan in particular-- and vote them in anyway. Politics about the importance of education, but still all about football.

• Agree
Reactions: Clone2Dbone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
UH+President+Renu+Khator_%236.jpg

I may have changed my mind about UH.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Barry Tramel with the Oklahoman seems pretty interested in Big 12 expansion. Thought this was good information on athletic department budgets among possible expansion schools. The interesting figure is how much states are subsidizing these athletic departments to keep them competitive.

http://newsok.com/article/5514851

As a private school, BYU's information isn't published (reportedly $57M)- but here are amounts for other schools most often mentioned:

UConn : $72M Budget with $28M subsidy (39%)
Cincy: $52M Budget with $23M subsidy (44%)
CFU: $51M Budget with $24M subsidy (47%)
Houston: $44M Budget with $25M subsidy (57%)
Memphis: $43M Budget with $18M subsidy (42%)
CSU: $38M Budget with $20M subsidy (53%)

For comparison
WVU: $91M Budget with $4M subsidy (5%)
T Tech: $80M Budget with $4M subsidy (5%)
K-State: $75M Budget with $.9M subsidy (1%)
Iowa State: $75M Budget with $2M subsidy (2%)

So pretty obvious why it is critical for universities to get into a P5 conference. Also clear why politicians have a dog in the fight. The subsidy figure does include student fees.

FYI - here is the entire list
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Nope, you just flunked the fall semester of CF already.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Here’s an SBNation article based on a couple of recent reports that I hadn’t seen (SIAP).

UConn’s Plan B if left out of Big 12 expansion: Rejoin Big East in all sports except football. Jettison AAC, pursue football-only in MAC, MWC, C-USA or Sun Belt (!).

Report indicates mutual interest between UConn, Big East

It seems like a desperation Plan B, but I could think of a few reasons they’d consider it (appeal of rejoining Big East in basketball is an obvious upside).