***Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Smyly went 2 innings today. Thankfully eliminates him from Wednesday start. Hoping it's Brown.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Call me crazy, but it almost feels like we should have signed someone who can play third base.
There weren't many options in free agency. Candelario got a rediculous deal that I'm fine passing on and yeah Chapman wound up signing a similar deal to Bellinger but it would have put the Cubs over the luxury tax threshold. I guess they are banking on Shaw being that guy at 3B? This roster had the feel of the 2014-15 time frame where it's good enough to make a playoff push but the farm system has several guys close to making an impact.

If they are in the mix in July maybe they buy some pieces for the stretch run. The safer option may be to finish the prospect development and go all in for 2025 and not trade off too much prospect capital this year to be able to make those kind of moves a year later with a better roster.

Looking back at 2016 it was disappointing they didn't get multiple championships from that core but imagine the mess the Cubs would be in right now had they committed long term contracts to Bryant Baez and Rizzo knowing what we do now.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
May be time to lock this thread down. Didn't even realize until this morning I had replied in this one last night, just replied at the first thing I read.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron