***Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Thread***

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Why build a farm system and never have the option to resign him.

Speaking of big contracts anyone believe Ohtani's interpreter stole 4 mil and placed those bets?
nope he is just the fall guy. ohtani made those bets but mlb doesnt want to lose their golden goose.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Why build a farm system and never have the option to resign him.

Speaking of big contracts anyone believe Ohtani's interpreter stole 4 mil and placed those bets?
Not a chance. Ohtani felt the pressure and asked him to come forward and take the heat

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Im curious if Busch is sticking to first for the time being so he can strictly focus on the bat with hopes he can eventually move from 1B and focus on throwing at 3B.

If Morel isn’t getting it done defensively AND Busch is getting it done with the bat, maybe move him to 3B and let Cooper/Belli cover 1B and Belli/PCA cover CF based on pitching matchups

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Im curious if Busch is sticking to first for the time being so he can strictly focus on the bat with hopes he can eventually move from 1B and focus on throwing at 3B.

If Morel isn’t getting it done defensively AND Busch is getting it done with the bat, maybe move him to 3B and let Cooper/Belli cover 1B and Belli/PCA cover CF based on pitching matchups
Have not been paying much attention to spring training, but is Mervis not as good as anticipated?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Sounds like Cooper will make the opening day roster so some more depth at 3B/1B

Carl Edwards Jr and Dom Smith opted out of their minor league contracts so it appears they will not make the opening day roster. I thought both had a chance to with how well they played in ST but this would signal they aren't going going to be added to the roster.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Sounds like Cooper will make the opening day roster so some more depth at 3B/1B
It's by default right now. We'll see who they go with when Wisdom comes back. Pretty sure he had ML options last year, not sure about 24.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It's by default right now. We'll see who they go with when Wisdom comes back. Pretty sure he had ML options last year, not sure about 24.
This is Wisdom's last option year so he'll head to Des Moines when he's ready. I'm pretty sure they went slight overpay with him to have the flexibility.

Cooper's 40 man spot is easy, they'll transfer Kilian to the 60-Day.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Have not been paying much attention to spring training, but is Mervis not as good as anticipated?
I was impressed in Iowa and again this Spring. Hit .281 with 7 BBs and 8 ks

Pure speculation but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was told last Fall he would be traded this offseason and it just never came to fruition. It was weird he seemed to be the only name in the organization aside from Morel who wasn’t at the convention.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I was impressed in Iowa and again this Spring. Hit .281 with 7 BBs and 8 ks

Pure speculation but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was told last Fall he would be traded this offseason and it just never came to fruition. It was weird he seemed to be the only name in the organization aside from Morel who wasn’t at the convention.
I doubt they would of told him anything until they acquired Busch.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I doubt they would have told him anything until they acquired Busch.
Yeah, probably not. I just remember listening to him last Spring interviewing on Locked On Cubs and saying the reason he chose the Cubs over the Yankees was because he felt his opportunity would come sooner with the Cubs, and clearly it appears that door has closed.

I still find it weird, however, that from the minute we acquired him we very much made it clear he was our 1B, which tells me they had zero intent for Mervis to be there

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Yeah, probably not. I just remember listening to him last Spring interviewing on Locked On Cubs and saying the reason he chose the Cubs over the Yankees was because he felt his opportunity would come sooner with the Cubs, and clearly it appears that door has closed.

I still find it weird, however, that from the minute we acquired him we very much made it clear he was our 1B, which tells me they had zero intent for Mervis to be there
The Cubs didn’t manage Mervis’s developement very well. They didn’t give him much of a chance.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The Cubs didn’t manage Mervis’s developement very well. They didn’t give him much of a chance.
My thoughts too. I mean Rizzo had a rough 1st call up with the Padres before the Cubs traded for him so I hope they are right on their evaluation on him and he doesn't turn into a good player for whatever team he eventually is traded to.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
My thoughts too. I mean Rizzo had a rough 1st call up with the Padres before the Cubs traded for him so I hope they are right on their evaluation on him and he doesn't turn into a good player for whatever team he eventually is traded to.
I was as high on Mervis last year as anyone. Last year after his call up there were whispers of issues with his swing that wouldn't play well in the bigs. It was obvious watching him at first that while making plays he lacked grace associated with athleticism.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
I don't think the Cubs ever thought he was the 1B of the future, or they would have not signed both Hosmer and Mancini last year. I was hopeful going into last year but have moved on. Could he be a contributor for some team, at some point? Maybe

Rizzo was also 3 years younger when he got his first call up.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
A little frustrating the billionaires are opting not to grab Chapman ($20 MM) or Chapman ($25 MM) The optimistic side of me is hoping it’s to avoid having to go over the luxury tax this year with the idea that they will be splurging quite a bit in 2025 and don’t want to set the clock for luxury tax penalties in 2024, but the realistic side tells me we we will not be going over any time soon.

Most frustrating part is you sat on your hands in 2023 at the deadline because you were too afraid to go over the tax and missed out on the playoffs by 1 game. Zero excuse to have done so if you were going to reset the tax in 2024, yet absolute crickets from the Ricketts.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron