*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I think we all knew Fizer was going to declare for the draft after 2000, so it felt like a last hurrah. I'm still amazed the 2001 team won the conference and got a 2 seed the next year. I definitely didn't feel that way after the MSU loss. This year, there is legitimate reason to feel we'll be better next year, (I am assuming Tamin, Keshon, CuJo, and Milan all return).
I guess everyone forgot to tell Fizer that he was turning pro, because he stated he would have come back for his senior year if his parent's house hadn't burned down. Just another tale in the Iowa State line of luck.

1711745998799.png

Reactions: rosshm16 and NENick

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I guess everyone forgot to tell Fizer that he was turning pro, because he stated he would have come back for his senior year if his parent's house hadn't burned down. Just another tale in the Iowa State line of luck.

View attachment 126636
I remember attempting to find solace after that loss, as s***y as the conclusion was. I thought to myself, OK, getting to Elite 8 (plus reg season/B12T titles) is accomplishment in itself. Fizer & Tinsley returning + Shirley, so the core is there, ISU has a shot to return.

Fizer's announcement didn't break until about a week after the Final Four.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That image was from may of last year when he withdrew from the draft.

My bad. It was in an article referencing him coming back from suspension so I assumed that's what it was from.

In any event, my point stands. They've leaned totally into him being back, even with an active case ongoing. I can understand having to play him due to the Court's injunction. But there's just a complete lack of finesse from them about the situation.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
3. Athletes of all schools, including ISU, have touched women’s private parts without first gaining verbal consent. And women have touched theirs. It is absurd to assume otherwise.

And there it is. All that to say hey............."everyone does it". No...........they don't.

Well, of course I may be wrong and right now as we speak there are ISU athlete's on Lincoln in Ames with a girl in each arm with his hands doing the dirty on one, right.

Did you go to college? I never did what you say "everyone does"......have you? I have never done that in my life. You know........"without gaining verbal consent"? Have you?

I have kids up in Ames and you can be assured had an athlete tried what Shannon did.......they wouldn't be playing at ISU anymore.

You act as if this is just a regular night in the dorms........it's not. But I guess with what you have said I can see why Shannon is still welcome on the team. I like Underwood and I guess innocent before proven guilty rules the day. However........this isn't a court of law, and just because you didn't commit a crime means hey....................do anything you want to whoever you want until they scream...........................!?

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Defense did what it was supposed to. Uncharacteristic FT woes were part of it, but they were over 12 points off their average. Holding them to 35 at the break should have been an indicator that we were in control. We spotted them 10 points in the first which obviously is a killer, but it wasn't because of the defense.

I have nothing to add to what's already been said about Milan except to point out again that our success is closely tied to how he is playing.

Unfortunately, their defensive game plan was perfect. Not in terms of being suffocating or pushing us around, but they dictated the ball movement on our end. Tight coverage on the ball handlers meant we were scrubbing off high screens at the top of the key just to get our guards the ball. How many times was Rob standing at the arc holding the ball, unguarded, waiting for someone to come get the ball? Passing the ball around the perimeter to find a favorable matchup didn't happen at all. That was the extra dimension we added in the B12 tourney and Illinois took it away. Ward was obviously in foul trouble but he and BRE both being totally silent offensively was another indication that they were in the passing lanes. At 51-49 we had 3 chances to tie or take the lead: two relatively easy plays at the rim and a good three point look. Every one of those felt like the moment we were going to blow the roof off the place. Missed them all. Shannon's poke away steals were all stabs in the chest. They had big moments, we kept hanging around waiting for ours.

Tough loss, but everyone in the Sweet 16 is there for a reason. I'm hoping we've changed our culture to where we look back at this as a team that was being built for a successful era rather than a perfect storm of things that came together to give us one
BRE wasn’t silent offensively.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
BRE wasn’t silent offensively.
In a relative sense. I realize he had 6, but two were free throws and one was a crazy fast break. Ball wasn't moving to him down low with good looks or dump offs when the guards are slashing, which is when he has double digit games.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
With a late game and early wake up for work I wasn't able to get this around and wanted to give it proper effort in putting it together. I will probably miss a person or 2 but know I appreciate you.

As another great season comes to a close I want to send out thanks to all the posters who make these a joy to do and why the time and effort is totally worth it.

First off to everyone who rated the op and/or the TJ gif whether it be once or every game thank you including the @Houston game where I turned your efforts into proceeds for We Will.

Next to all the people who would shout me out in a post thank you so much. This group includes @t-noah @NWICY @CySmurf @carvers4math @ca4cy @soakitinCYder @Bestaluckcy @Jdk @cymac2408 @jcyclonee @danvillecyclone @67CY

Next group is all the posters who bring their unique flair to these threads:

@ISU4Life Let's Do This gif
@Cyched My Body is Ready
@AlaCyclone Let's Go State
@Spanky everything you post
@pourcyne your different unique musical contributions
@bawbie @CoachHines3 For your informational post on our opp. for every game
@JM4CY Win the Whole ****ing Thing gif
@CycloneErik from KU must be destroyed to might as well win this one

Finally everyone who made a score prediction all year. Sorry I got away from doing my prediction awards after wins. After my burglary incident I just didn't have a heart to continue doing them but I promise to get back to them next year.

Just a few of some of the regular score prediction posters were: @t-noah @Cyclonscin @NENick @SerenityNow @demoncore1031 @Die4Cy @Marcelason78 @Jdk @Cyhig @danvillecyclone @riceville98 @Cyburbbalz

Again to those I missed know that I appreciate you all. This was another tremendously fun season. 2nd place conference finish, conf tourney title and Sweet 16 appearance where we were a 2 seed playing in Omaha in a season many pundits had as a rebuilding year where just making the tourney would be an achievement.

I think the proof is in the pudding that as long as TJ is here it's never a rebuild just a reload. See you all back next fall!
You do great work Rulzzz and add something special to every game day. You're a great Cyclone and it's a privilege to get to participate in your threads. Thanks for all you do. We'll see you this fall.

And as always, GO CYCLONES!!

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Some observations:
  1. We lost this game because we didn't score enough against a mediocre-at-best defense. Can't enter the half with 26 points and expect to beat a quality high-scoring team.
  2. I'd never heard that story about Fizer and his parents' house burning down and that he would have come back without that, wow. A great what-if.
  3. That is a disgusting post excusing Shannon's behavior a few pages back.
  4. A judge can't tell a coach who to play/bench.

MR82

Sep 12, 2021
Some observations:
  1. We lost this game because we didn't score enough against a mediocre-at-best defense. Can't enter the half with 26 points and expect to beat a quality high-scoring team.
  2. I'd never heard that story about Fizer and his parents' house burning down and that he would have come back without that, wow. A great what-if.
  3. That is a disgusting post excusing Shannon's behavior a few pages back.
  4. A judge can't tell a coach who to play/bench.
But your AD can!

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I'm not sure what you are asking, the accuser went to the police the next day to press charges.
Fine
One of your fellow Illini posted a long description of the events of the evening.
Said nothing happened that was not consensual. Guess he was wrong in his account. Glad you clarified that she felt assaulted.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron