Office Computer Networking Issue

JoshTheCyclone

Feb 4, 2012
Fort Dodge
We have a 4 computer set up in our office that all link to the "main computer" that keeps all of our important documents, files, etc. Last week sometime my computer refused to start and reverted back to windows 7 *facepalm* I have since got it back to windows 10 but have not been able to hook back up to the main computers network. Does anyone have any idea on how to remedy this?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
obligatory

giphy.gif

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
This might be hard to do without being there to see exactly what the setup is like. Is the office all domained together, or is the "main computer" just have a bunch of shared folders on it (that need to be remapped)? How exactly did the PC just revert itself back to Win7, did a Win10 drive inside it fail or something? That's very, very strange.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This might be hard to do without being there to see exactly what the setup is like. Is the office all domained together, or is the "main computer" just have a bunch of shared folders on it (that need to be remapped)? How exactly did the PC just revert itself back to Win7, did a Win10 drive inside it fail or something? That's very, very strange.
Yeah, I've only seen a pc "revert" itself one other time, and that's because it had a secondary OS drive that the user didn't know about. When the primary drive failed, it booted using the secondary drive. There is not enough information in the original post to really guess what happened.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

JoshTheCyclone

Feb 4, 2012
Fort Dodge
My father (family business) got into the office early and turned on the computer, got an error message and hit enter. I came into a desktop that had windows 7 and was very confused.

JoshTheCyclone

Feb 4, 2012
Fort Dodge
My father (family business) got into the office early and turned on the computer, got an error message and hit enter. I came into a desktop that had windows 7 and was very confused.
He said it said something was unsafe and windows needed to revert back to a time where it was safe to open.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Yeah, I've only seen a pc "revert" itself one other time, and that's because it had a secondary OS drive that the user didn't know about. When the primary drive failed, it booted using the secondary drive. There is not enough information in the original post to really guess what happened.
That's exactly what I assumed happened. It's the most sensible possibility without knowing more.
He said it said something was unsafe and windows needed to revert back to a time where it was safe to open.
Definitely check to see how many hard drives the PC has, as well as their health states. Also check to see if any recent files or data is missing from the machine (if any crucial data was kept on it). Reverting back to an older Windows version is definitely not normal Windows behavior, they discourage downgrading OSes as much as possible.

* In fact, I think upgrading the OS makes downgrading through restore processes alone impossible to do, I believe the new OS overwrites the old OS's boot structure and such.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron