Notebook: Campbell weighs in on Johnson's move to safety, Porter to cornerback and more

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Here are some of the highlights from Matt Campbell's first spring practice meeting with the media.

Reactions: khardbored

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I’m excited to see what Porter can do at CB. He was so great on special teams last year. Glad he is getting a shot.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
"Stop me if you've heard this one before..." [about the offensive line being the best yet!]

Narrator: "We HAVE heard that one before...."
I don't see a problem in a football coach speaking positive about a position group, O-Line for example, even if maybe it is not as good as hoped. In this case I think the O-Line should be better than last year but we'll see. It could be very good. Who really cares if we've heard it before.

What is a coach to say? Yeah well they suck and they are still a long ways away from where we need them to be, and they sucked last year. I don't think so.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I don't see a problem in a football coach speaking positive about a position group, O-Line for example, even if maybe it is not as good as hoped. In this case I think the O-Line should be better than last year but we'll see. It could be very good. Who really cares if we've heard it before.

What is a coach to say? Yeah well they suck and they are still a long ways away from where we need them to be, and they sucked last year. I don't think so.

I agree, nothing wrong with coach speak.

My tongue-in-cheek comment was more of a tacit warning to myself and others like me to not drink the kool-aid this time of year.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy and Proton

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Nothing wrong with him saying it. Just don't expect me to believe it

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I agree, nothing wrong with coach speak.

My tongue-in-cheek comment was more of a tacit warning to myself and others like me to not drink the kool-aid this time of year.

Nothing wrong with him saying it. Just don't expect me to believe it
That's cool. Nothing wrong with being a little skeptical. It's OK to believe it when you see it. In the case of our O-Line in '22 and beyond we'll just have to see.

In a way I'm kind of glad there isn't as much hype this year. Last year there was some disappointment when the expectations were so high. Perhaps this year we will be more pleasantly surprised with the results on the field?

I like to think that we are moving up in the Big12 and the world of college football (at least for now) as long as Campbell is here. It's nice to know that we have 'a shot' every year at being pretty good.

For now that gives me solace and hope. Talking about where college football might be going is not something I care to think about right now.

• Agree
Reactions: scratch

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
"Stop me if you've heard this one before..." [about the offensive line being the best yet!]

Narrator: "We HAVE heard that one before...."
For the most part when Campbell has said someone was good or going to be good, he was right. Now the OL was definitely not as good as advertised last year, but I suspect that there were a lot more guy hurt and playing through it than he let on. As bad as Campbell is with coach speak, he is worse with hiding injuries.

Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron