Nostalgia - Childhood Toys

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
As much as I enjoy online shopping, I do miss mall culture. Especially at the holidays.
I miss the old small town general stores, variety stores, liquidator stores, hardware stores etc.

The mom and pop stores in the old small town buildings, that most of the time were 100 years old with creaking wood floors, narrow aisles and dark dusty corners. The places that seemed to have as much stuff and variety as a walmart and hobby lobby combined, but in 1/4 the space.

I can think of a handful that I have great memories of. Used to meet the bus for swimming lessons, in front of an old general store, the lady that owned it was super nice and friends with my grandparents. Mom would give me a quarter and I could get some candy. Could get tootsie rolls for 1 cent each I believe. Closed long ago and the building is gone, but great memories.

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
I remember more games than toys, at least in that age range. Had these within a span of a couple of years.

View attachment 127827

View attachment 127828

View attachment 127829

Note: I was so excited to get that Chamberlain basketball game. Extreme dud. Lot of "passing" (more accurately, "swiping unsuccesfully"), waiting for the ball to roll into a hole, and even then you'd probably miss the shot.

Bas-Ket is a less-flashy, stripped-down version, but much more scoring.
I had the MN Vikings vs Chicago Bears electric football game. It was all running in that Black and Blue division game.

Reactions: cyclones500

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yesterday's thread was awesome so thought I go next level. What were the toys that you loved when you were a child (let's say under 10-12ish)?

Born in '82...

View attachment 127781 View attachment 127782 View attachment 127783
View attachment 127784 View attachment 127785
View attachment 127786 View attachment 127787 View attachment 127791
View attachment 127789 View attachment 127790
I really just read. Library was nearby, plentiful, and free, and I preferred books anyway. I had an updated version of this when I was 6 or 7 that I enjoyed:

IMG_1513.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer and cyclones500

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
When my Dad was a young kid, he used to play with his Big D**k. He used to say he had a toy machine gun growing up in the 1920s/1930s made by Milton Bradley that shot wooden bullets. It was the predecessor or inspiration to the modern-day Nerf guns.

Toy Gun.jpg

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Oh my…I remember now. Hobby craft store downtown Burlington. Wood plank floor. Ford Fairlane model and Testors bottles of paint. Long bicycle ride up hills to get home.
Yes, I too enjoyed the gluing and painting model pieces. It was much later that I learned "glue-sniffing" was probably a contributing factor.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
It's funny how malls rose and fell. The first big mall that I remember was built during my jr high years. It felt like it was an all-day destination trip back then but I just looked it up, and from Bellevue, WA (where I lived), the Southcenter Mall was only about 15 miles away in Tukwila (south Seattle metro). We would go once a year to do all of our Christmas shopping. It was super busy and everything was beautifully decorated and so exciting, even for a teenager. Crazy how most of that has disappeared into strip malls and online shopping.
I also remember a few times on Christmas Eve when the entire family would go over to Omaha to look at the Christmas displays in the department store windows followed by supper in a restaurant (eating in a restaurant was a big deal for our family). Not quite a tradition but memorable.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
This was a big hobby of mine. 50s and 60s classics were my jam.
This was definitely a hobby of mine as I grew out of other toys, I had a set up full of paints and glue etc for models. I got into military aircraft models. At one time I had a bunch hanging from fishing line in my room.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
80's kid. These were the go-to toys I played with growing up. We were fairly poor, but my mom was amazing at finding large lots (of most) of the following toys for cheap at garage sales..

GI Joe:
View attachment 127831

MOTU:
View attachment 127832

Our family got its first NES in '89.
View attachment 127833

Got a bunch of these in early 80's.
View attachment 127834

The small versions that we played with mostly inside:
View attachment 127835

And the larger versions that we played with outside:
View attachment 127837

Vintage Little People:
View attachment 127836

I used to get a shoe box full of GI Joe and Star Wars action figures back in the early 80's for Christmas. Probably two or three straight years. All used from garage sales.

Reactions: Bocy

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I also remember a few times on Christmas Eve when the entire family would go over to Omaha to look at the Christmas displays in the department store windows followed by supper in a restaurant (eating in a restaurant was a big deal for our family). Not quite a tradition but memorable.
Your own Christmas Story. Kind of.

• Agree
Reactions: IsUaClone2

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I remember you also had Mall Madness - something that you never hear about.

View attachment 128107

Yes, and the Sweet Valley High game! I think I got both around middle school. LOVED Mall Madness and I think I used to force you to play with me?

“There is a SALE at the CLOTHING BOUTIQUE.” Not exactly a bastion of feminism, that game.