NiceMarmot's Selection Sunday Final Bracketology Projection 2024

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
I'm creating a new thread for this for those who are interested in my projections. The Bracketology 2024 thread has turned into a wildly misinformed thread where every other question is about Omaha, so I don't want this to get lost there. I'm also not going to use this thread to explain basic bracketing principles. We all have various levels of educational attainment; use them as you read and learn here. I'm also willing to answer reasonable questions here rather than them getting lost in the other thread.

For those wondering what my bonafides are, I've been doing bracketology since 2014 (I believe I've missed two years since then). You can find me on the Bracket Matrix rankings page where I'm ranked 34th over the last 5 years. So ranked higher than Lunardi at 98th or Palm at 142nd.

Here's the link to the Google Sheet where I post my bracket. For those who want to do a last minute deep-dive, there's also a tab in there titled Resumes where I have collected all the valuable information that the committee uses (Quad records, resume metrics (KPI/SOR, predictive metrics (Kenpom, BPI), best wins, etc.). That sheet is where I do all my analysis to compare resumes, and it's set up with directions for others to sort/filter the data if they'd like to do the same.

Alright, here's my final bracket:

1710710304239.png

ISU Notes:
  • Coming into Championship Week, I thought ISU had a 0% chance at a 1-seed. Then Tennessee lost, then Arizona lost, then UNC lost, then here's the most important part -- Iowa State beat Houston by 28! They went from 9 to 5 in Kenpom. They rose up to 6 in the NET. Houston has 2 losses all year, and 2 of them are to Iowa State. That's the kind of a result that could make the committee pull back and say, "Hey, should we take another look at this?" Ultimately, I'll put their chances at a 1-seed at 20%. I think we've seen over the last few years that the committee tends to not overreact or move things around at the last minute to account for Championship Week results (which I don't think is outrageous either).
  • I have ISU as the top 2-seed, which means they have top priority of the 2-seeds and are sent to their closest regional site, which would be Detroit. If Tennessee and/or Marquette stay ahead of ISU, expect to see ISU as the 2-seed in the East.
    • I believe they no longer reveal all the 1-seeds first on the Selection Sunday show and just start going through the bracket with that first regional. When they start with UConn in the East, if we're NOT the 2-seed there, get your hopes up for 1-seed out West or 2-seed in Midwest.
  • We'll be in Omaha for the first weekend. The other 1st weekend pod there will either be Illinois (#11 on my seed list) or Kansas (#12 on my seed list). Illinois is technically closer to Pittsburgh (by less than 10 miles), but it's a shorter drive hours/minutes-wise to Omaha. Not sure what the committee policy is in that type of situation. I defaulted to as the crow flies miles.
Other Notes:
  • Because of all the conference tournament bid thieves this year, the bubble has shifted drastically. For me, it's these 11 teams for 5 spots:
    • Colorado, Texas A&M, Colorado State, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Virginia, St. John's, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, Indiana State, Providence.
    • If what I have forecasted here is what happens (which is highly unlikely, I'm guessing I'll miss 1-2 teams on the bubble), imagine the uproar from the Big East only getting 3 teams. It would be loud.
  • The areas where I think I'm most likely to be wrong is the 5 and 6-seed lines. Really struggled with that run from Wisconsin at 17 to Utah State at 23.
    • Alabama is my last 4-seed, but damn, they're a weak last 4-seed. Just don't know who would jump them.
  • I also struggled with spots 32 to 37 and then 38 to the First Four Out. I think TCU at 37 is the last team on my list where I'd be shocked if they were left out. Starting at 38, none of those would surprise me.
    • Related to that, I think I'm lower on Colorado State than consensus and higher on Florida Atlantic than consensus. Those could be misses from me.
  • Speaking to how difficult this is to do in a short period of time today, I was about to post my bracket and realized I had TCU in there twice. Obviously, the committee has vanguards setup to protect against such errors, but the fact that they seed the teams and scrub the seed list the last few days and leave bracketing all for Sunday is so wild to me. They want the conference championship games as a TV lead-in, but the bracket would probably be so much better balanced if there were no games today as they could spend the last 18 hours or so building the bracket.
That's all I've got for now. Any questions, let them fly.

Last edited:

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
If Iowa St. was the 6th team behind Tennessee, would we be sent to the West region for competitive balance instead of the East because the 4th 1 seed is in the West and the top 1 seed is in the East? I can't imagine Iowa St. has much geographic preference between Boston and LA.

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
If Iowa St. was the 6th team behind Tennessee, would we be sent to the West region for competitive balance instead of the East because the 4th 1 seed is in the West and the top 1 seed is in the East? I can't imagine Iowa St. has much geographic preference between Boston and LA.

I would agree that for ISU, Boston and LA makes no difference. But over the years, the committee has been pretty consistent in just going by whatever city is closer in deciding in those instances, and technically, that would be Boston. Also, if they move ISU to the West, that would move Arizona to the South and Marquette to the Midwest. Not impossible, but I'm guessing they'd just say, "Iowa State, you're going to Boston."

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Here's a guy who agrees with a lot of what you're saying

I hope it plays out this way

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Do you fear for your life because you did not list the Hawks for honorable mention? :jimlad:

• Haha
Reactions: pourcyne

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I would agree that for ISU, Boston and LA makes no difference. But over the years, the committee has been pretty consistent in just going by whatever city is closer in deciding in those instances, and technically, that would be Boston. Also, if they move ISU to the West, that would move Arizona to the South and Marquette to the Midwest. Not impossible, but I'm guessing they'd just say, "Iowa State, you're going to Boston."
Does competitive balance adjustment happen between the regions or is it almost exclusively geography?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
That's all I've got for now. Any questions, let them fly.

No questions, Gentil Marmot.

Impressive and interesting work. THANK YOU for the writing it out so a person could read it and savor, rather than having to listen to some disembodied voice like nails on a chalkboard.

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Kansas being higher than a 4

I personally would have Auburn as the last 3-seed over Kansas, but I'm putting Kansas as a 3 because it seems the committee rarely cares about the result of the SEC Tournament Final and the head of the committee's quote yesterday that they've been told "McCullar and Dickinson will be at full strength" for the tournament.

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
Does competitive balance adjustment happen between the regions or is it almost exclusively geography?

They look at the top 4 seeds in each region and add up their seed list value. So for the East, it would be 34 (1 UConn + 6 Tennessee + 12 Kansas + 15 Duke). They do this for each region and as long as each total is within 5 of each other, they consider that satisfactory.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
They look at the top 4 seeds in each region and add up their seed list value. So for the East, it would be 34 (1 UConn + 6 Tennessee + 12 Kansas + 15 Duke). They do this for each region and as long as each total is within 5 of each other, they consider that satisfactory.
Which is rigged as we are 8.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu