Next Year’s Lineup

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
As crazy as it might sound to some, DC needed a redshirt (and it turns out it was a good thing he did), he needed a year to mature/grow. Elite talent obviously but physically needed another year of growth. Casey is college ready to compete at a very high level. Talent-wise, mentally and physically (body is college ready).

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015

Interesting & this is a good thing IMO. Couple questions to the Brainiac's on this board.

1. Should I assume they can wrestle unattached during the second semester in as many tourneys as they wish without hurting eligibility?

2. Looking at last years schedule we had 7 official dates listed. 4 of which were duals. This means last year we could have seen a TFr against Iowa & UNI (and other duals) without a coach having to make the final decision to pull a RS. Do I understand this correctly?

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Even though it's a hawk I feel bad for Drake Ayala as this would've benefited him big time and he probably would've sat out last year when he got injured.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Interesting & this is a good thing IMO. Couple questions to the Brainiac's on this board.

1. Should I assume they can wrestle unattached during the second semester in as many tourneys as they wish without hurting eligibility?

2. Looking at last years schedule we had 7 official dates listed. 4 of which were duals. This means last year we could have seen a TFr against Iowa & UNI (and other duals) without a coach having to make the final decision to pull a RS. Do I understand this correctly?
That's how I read it which seems kinda weird. Most of the open tournaments are 1st semester. So they must use one of their 5 allocations to wrestle in most open tournaments. I don't understand the reasoning for not allowing unattached in the 1st semester.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Really like the idea of seeing Swiderski, Gaitain, Rojas, and Schon in the Iowa dual while saving their redshirt.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
It was going to be interesting to see how the coaches managed the roster this year and the new rule enhances that. Will KD put all his best wrestlers on the mat or will he be inclined to save some to redshirt? If Schon handles Schuyler does he go this year? If MJ or Rojas outperform others at ‘57 and ‘74 do they get the spot and full year to round into shape for nationals or does he hold one or both of them back? You never know how someone will compete given a full year at this level. They can hit a wall or they can catch fire.

I’m inclined to try and maximize Carr’s last two years and if the youngsters win the spot (even marginally) you let loose. The redshirts can be used later if need be.

Last edited:

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
It was going to be interesting to see how the coaches managed the roster this year and the new rule enhances that. Will KD put all his best wrestlers on the mat or will he be inclined to save some to redshirt? If Schon handles Schuyler does he go this year? If MJ or Rojas outperform others at ‘57 and ‘74 do they get the spot and full year to round into shape for nationals or does he hold one or both of them back? You never know how someone will compete given a full year at this level. They can hit a wall or they can catch fire.

I’m inclined to try and maximize Carr’s last two years and if the youngsters win the spot (even marginally) you let loose. The redshirts can be used later if need be.
I see this used as more of a 'fill in' for injured wrestlers. Of course, with the exception of the weird open tournaments rule. If they are the better wrestler for the weight, they should be completing 2nd semester. No reason to keep the redshirt in this day and age.

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018

17.33.1.9.2 Exception -- No Competition During First Term -- Men's Wrestling. In men's wrestling, a student-athlete shall not participate in outside competition as an individual during the student athlete's first full-time term of collegiate enrollment. Thereafter, a student-athlete shall meet the minimum grade-point average requirement specified in Bylaw 14.3.3.3.3 in order to be eligible to compete in outside competition as an individual.”

There may be more wrestlers starting their academics in summer school.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

cywr89

May 14, 2009
That's how I read it which seems kinda weird. Most of the open tournaments are 1st semester. So they must use one of their 5 allocations to wrestle in most open tournaments. I don't understand the reasoning for not allowing unattached in the 1st semester.
They don’t want someone to wrestle unattached during all the Opens (1st semester) and the another 5 duals in the 2nd semester and then RS. For the most part this is a win-win. Coach can see how freshman does in a few duals before having to make a decision. Also should be way less forfeits as before coach doesn’t want to use a RS for a few duals.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
They don’t want someone to wrestle unattached during all the Opens (1st semester) and the another 5 duals in the 2nd semester and then RS. For the most part this is a win-win. Coach can see how freshman does in a few duals before having to make a decision. Also should be way less forfeits as before coach doesn’t want to use a RS for a few duals.
Ahhh...reading it again I see that the 5 attached is not limited to 1st semester, so I guess I can kind of see this logic. That way they could use a RS wrestler in a 2nd semester dual if needed to fill in. I agree, overall I like it, but it still feels there are some bugs to work out. It seems like we're going to get less participation in the 1st semester open tournaments without allowing unattached, especially if the coach is maybe banking the attached ops for duals.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Ahhh...reading it again I see that the 5 attached is not limited to 1st semester, so I guess I can kind of see this logic. That way they could use a RS wrestler in a 2nd semester dual if needed to fill in. I agree, overall I like it, but it still feels there are some bugs to work out. It seems like we're going to get less participation in the 1st semester open tournaments without allowing unattached, especially if the coach is maybe banking the attached ops for duals.
I agree this is strange. The young guys all wrestle the opens first semester so participation of those would drop way off. Are they trying to kill the opens at the beginning of the season? Are they trying to make this a one semester sport? Can a freshman wrestle unattached in first semester opens then just not be eligible to wrestle attached second semester? Will Opens like Cliff Keen and Midlands continue to fall off? Lots of questions.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I agree this is strange. The young guys all wrestle the opens first semester so participation of those would drop way off. Are they trying to kill the opens at the beginning of the season? Are they trying to make this a one semester sport? Can a freshman wrestle unattached in first semester opens then just not be eligible to wrestle attached second semester? Will Opens like Cliff Keen and Midlands continue to fall off? Lots of questions.
I think the wrestling attached is supposed to relieve some of the stress of being a new student first semester and having to pay your way to the opens. I don't mind the rule even if it is a little strange

Reactions: matclone