New test detects Coronavirus in 20 minutes

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If just a finger prick like a blood sugar test it might be very useful. It sounds like it from the 25 microliters amount but they don't really say. Even if not a full needled blood draw it's still likely a doctors office sorta action. And, it's an anti-body test, not a test to see if you currently are "positive" with active virus.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Science will solve this eventually.

That's been my hope. Even beyond knowing the smartest minds are looking at this, I'd hope the competition to being the first to solve this would be prevalent as well.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
If just a finger prick like a blood sugar test it might be very useful. It sounds like it from the 25 microliters amount but they don't really say. Even if not a full needled blood draw it's still likely a doctors office sorta action. And, it's an anti-body test, not a test to see if you currently are "positive" with active virus.

The article first says it can detect active virus patients. And then later suggests it’s only an antibody test. Not very clear.

Also, I haven’t heard that we understand the antibodies enough to know how useful that will be.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The saliva test is the way to go imo if they can get results quickly.

Way easier to face spitting into a tube than getting another finger prick.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
That's been my hope. Even beyond knowing the smartest minds are looking at this, I'd hope the competition to being the first to solve this would be prevalent as well.
Science has done wonders with HIV/AIDS from where things were in the 1980s. But that took decades. So, as I said before, science will solve it eventually, but I'd be quite surprised if things get solved made "safe" (whatever that means) even within the next several months.

But there is power in industry and profit.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
At-Home Covid test kits would be the best way to get people to stay the hell home to slow the spread if they are positive...maybe. I know of plenty of people who got tested but continued to go out around people while their results came back.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I saw a news report that a company in Sweden has developed a COVID test based on breathalyzer technology. Results returned in 2 minutes. Makes some sense since the main way of transmission is breath. Currently undergoing verification tests.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The article first says it can detect active virus patients. And then later suggests it’s only an antibody test. Not very clear.

Also, I haven’t heard that we understand the antibodies enough to know how useful that will be.
It detects both.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I saw a news report that a company in Sweden has developed a COVID test based on breathalyzer technology. Results returned in 2 minutes. Makes some sense since the main way of transmission is breath. Currently undergoing verification tests.
That would be huge. Any testing with quick ACCURATE turnaround within even hours will be key towards moving forward IMHO

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Two members of my immediate family tested for the Virus this week, They were told to expect results in three to five days. A lot can happen during that time period.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's why the blood test or breathalyzer is huge!

There were times in an earlier life where doing a breathalizer before work would have probably been bad news...this is one I can get behind.

Seriously though it would be great and smart if we were able to get that over here and in as many spaces as possible.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Would the breathalyzer test pick up other things? Asking for a friend.

I would imagine so. :cool:

This COVID application is based on a successful deployment of a breathalyzer technology to detect tuberculosis. Prayers that it works and can be deployed quickly.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron