New Carpet for new house

Flynn4Heisman

Mar 24, 2006
My father died in March, and I am trying to purchase his house. With the exception of the kitchen and windows (2007), the house hasn't been updated since he built it and we moved in in 1994.

The second floor needs to be updated entirely. I plan on painting a few rooms back to their original 1994 color, and updating the bathrooms, but more than anything the carpet needs to be replaced. It is as old as the house.

Who/Where do you guys recommend? I would prefer to go local if I can, and I am gonna go check out that place on Ingersoll this week (Louie's I think it's called?). Anybody know anything about them?

This is an example of the type of carpet I want:

The second floor is ballpark 1000 sq ft, so using Home Depot's services would cost me around $10k as an example.

I also need to refinish/restore the hardwood floors on the first floor. It's ballpark 600 - 650 sq ft. Anybody around town that can do both the carpet and the hardwood floors? Who/Where do you recommend for the hardwood floors?

Finally, should I do the hardwood floors first, or do the carpet? I'm not moving in (assuming I can get it in my name in the first place) until the floors are done.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My father died in March, and I am trying to purchase his house. With the exception of the kitchen and windows (2007), the house hasn't been updated since he built it and we moved in in 1994.

The second floor needs to be updated entirely. I plan on painting a few rooms back to their original 1994 color, and updating the bathrooms, but more than anything the carpet needs to be replaced. It is as old as the house.

Who/Where do you guys recommend? I would prefer to go local if I can, and I am gonna go check out that place on Ingersoll this week (Louie's I think it's called?). Anybody know anything about them?

This is the type of carpet I want:

The second floor is ballpark 1000 sq ft, so using Home Depot's services would cost me around $10k.

I also need to refinish/restore the hardwood floors on the first floor. It's ballpark 600 - 650 sq ft. Anybody around town that can do both the carpet and the hardwood floors? Who/Where do you recommend for the hardwood floors?

Finally, should I do the hardwood floors first, or do the carpet? I'm not moving in (assuming I can get it in my name in the first place) until the floors are done.

I love first floor hardwood. We have everything minus living room.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Depending on your location, Nebraska Furniture Mart usually has some good deals.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
My only advice in situations like this is to make sure the carpet matches the drapes.

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny

This is an example of the type of carpet I want:

The second floor is ballpark 1000 sq ft, so using Home Depot's services would cost me around $10k as an example.

I can help you with both the carpet and the wood refinish. Call me at Gilcrest Jewett in Waukee (Denise).

Flynn4Heisman

Mar 24, 2006
All right guys, I decided I am going to do almost everything at once, and now tear down the wallpaper and repaint the first floor before moving in.

Dad had bought an awesome looking chest/display thing (I don't remember the official term/name), from a guy across my Mom's house a couple years ago, and I don't want to move it/put it back more than once. I don't want to move it for the floor refinish, and then do so again 6 months later for the walls.

Who do you recommend for this to be professionally done? I will repaint the 2nd floor myself with some help from my friends (I did the Guest Bathroom myself, and while it blends fairly well, you can tell it was the first time I have ever painted), but the first floor I want done professionally due to removing the wallpaper, and that was a nightmare doing myself on the 2nd floor (there is MUCH MORE on the 1st floor).

Denise, I will get back to you soon hopefully, as things should finally be official in the next few weeks (Everytime my sister and I make progress on the Estate, something comes up that delays things).

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
All right guys, I decided I am going to do almost everything at once, and now tear down the wallpaper and repaint the first floor before moving in.

Dad had bought an awesome looking chest/display thing (I don't remember the official term/name), from a guy across my Mom's house a couple years ago, and I don't want to move it/put it back more than once. I don't want to move it for the floor refinish, and then do so again 6 months later for the walls.

Who do you recommend for this to be professionally done? I will repaint the 2nd floor myself with some help from my friends (I did the Guest Bathroom myself, and while it blends fairly well, you can tell it was the first time I have ever painted), but the first floor I want done professionally due to removing the wallpaper, and that was a nightmare doing myself on the 2nd floor (there is MUCH MORE on the 1st floor).

Denise, I will get back to you soon hopefully, as things should finally be official in the next few weeks (Everytime my sister and I make progress on the Estate, something comes up that delays things).
I have heard enough. DM me after you’ve received the quotes and I’ll do it for 75 cents on the dollar

Help Support Us

Become a patron