***NCAA Wrestling Championships (Thu.-Sat.)***

isufan2

Nov 15, 2014
Noonan is a transfer from Virginia who was a top 100 recruit. Should have 3 years. Rojas at 174. Hope we get M.J. Gaitarn to replace Carr at 165 in two years. Maybe get an up grade at 125. After Thursday everything is looking better!!

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
Did a little stats comparison of the 3 Iowa schools. I arbitrarily picked a 10 seed as my breakpoint.

We had 6 wrestlers seeded below 10th, and they won a total of 1 match! But 2 of the 3 seeded 10 or better finished above their seed.

UNI had a total of 7 wrestlers seeded below 10th, and they won 9 matches. One wrestler was seeded above 10th and he finished above his seed.

Iowa had 2 wrestlers seeded below 10th, and they won 2 matches between them. Of the 8 wrestlers seeded 10 or better, 5 finished below their seed.

I can't vouch for 100% accuracy here, but I think I am close. My broad stroke conclusion is we lack depth on this team - even more than I thought. Injuries hurt us, and I have to wonder if we were either ill or had more dings than we know of, because a few wrestlers seemed "off." While I know Dresser put a lot of effort into building the CWC - and that is really important and will help us down the road - I had hoped we would be further ahead by this point in time. But my hat is off to all the wrestlers who worked their tails off, and my heart goes out to Carr and to Attasauov.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Did a little stats comparison of the 3 Iowa schools. I arbitrarily picked a 10 seed as my breakpoint.

We had 6 wrestlers seeded below 10th, and they won a total of 1 match! But 2 of the 3 seeded 10 or better finished above their seed.

UNI had a total of 7 wrestlers seeded below 10th, and they won 9 matches. One wrestler was seeded above 10th and he finished above his seed.

Iowa had 2 wrestlers seeded below 10th, and they won 2 matches between them. Of the 8 wrestlers seeded 10 or better, 5 finished below their seed.

I can't vouch for 100% accuracy here, but I think I am close. My broad stroke conclusion is we lack depth on this team - even more than I thought. Injuries hurt us, and I have to wonder if we were either ill or had more dings than we know of, because a few wrestlers seemed "off." While I know Dresser put a lot of effort into building the CWC - and that is really important and will help us down the road - I had hoped we would be further ahead by this point in time. But my hat is off to all the wrestlers who worked their tails off, and my heart goes out to Carr and to Attasauov.
10th is a pretty arbitrary cutoff. An 11 seed for example would be favored in at least 1 match as opposed to a 27 seed who wouldn’t be favored.

Here is the thing about NCAA wrestling tournament. You get all your points from AAs. Guys winning one match is fun and all, but they don’t score you many points. All of those 9 matches won by the UNI low seeds scored less than Bastida.

You want to be a top 10, or a trophy team. You need 4-5 high AAs. Not 7 guys winning 1 match. PSU continues to show us this again and again. Their 5 in the finals are in 1st place all by themselves.

That’s why I have high hopes for next year. If our 3 AAs can increase their total from the 37.5 they scored to say 40, and ISU can plug in one more American (Maybe Swiderski, Terukina, or a transfer). They’d be at roughly 40 points. That’d put them about 8th. One more guy.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
I am cautious on the move to 165.
Deakin is the only real threat at 157. Sure he got upset, but not in Carr's league
165 - is interesting, Kharchla, O'Toole, Hamiti, and Griffith all back. What year is Cam Amine?

I tend to agree. I also feel like David looks smaller than his 157 competition… 165 he’d be the quickest one out there, but I think it could lead to more guys stalling and trying to ride their way to victory, not unlike the match he lost.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
My recap from this weekend for you guys!

Also I have video coming with all 3 wrestlers and Dresser.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
That right now swiderski is damn good.

But big time college wrestling is a different story, but right now this kid is primed for success. And soon
So currently we have 5 guys, ( 2 preps) we should be very excited about next year. Come fall where should we be expected to be?

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Full interviews here -

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Kerkvliet MFFs out? I admit, I didn’t pay a lot of attention to him/Parris earlier, but he didn’t seem dinged there. I must have missed something.
Shoulder injury, wrestled against Parris to help clinch team title
Agree, sure wouldn’t know it from watching him wrestle.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron