NCAA Settlement

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
100% was wrong with that one, caught everyone off guard
Uh not me. Not to a lot of people around here. Did I know it was going to happen summer of ‘22, no, but was I shocked/caught of guard, absolutely not.

Were not clairvoyant, but I can read signals/tea leaves

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
We like to think that but if you look at what goes on in the portal that doesn't happen. We see all sorts of guys that transfer up for a reduced role for the allure of playing in the 'big time'. There are so, so many guys that would rather play 8-10 minutes a night in a power league than 30 in a league where they could be all league type players.

Completely agree on the second part.

Could provide specific examples of “all sorts of guys that transfer up for a reduced role”

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Disagree; the talent coming into the NFL now is night and day different then what it was 15-20 years ago
Yes, guys in every sport are bigger, faster, more athletic and skilled than they were 20 years ago. Guys are way more advanced going into college than they were 20 years ago. Kids are way more advanced in HS. The idea that the advancement is due primarily to there being more media money is a massive stretch.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
You hurt the amount of money they make by cratering rankings and you lose support staff, coaching staff, facilities, etc.

The NFL has only one developmental pipeline compared to other sports and they aren’t going to seriously threaten it.
Yes, because to add on to this, even if when baseball was “America’s pastime”, did anyone really care about the minor leagues. And as others have said, the UFL doesn’t make money because it doesn’t have national appeal. I strongly believe that the Michigan’s, Ohio State’s, and Alabama’s of the world need the giant network of a passionate national fanbase to make their product appealing. If they end up with 20 or 24 teams competing for a cup no one else cares about…then they no longer matter.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Yes, because to add on to this, even if when baseball was “America’s pastime”, did anyone really care about the minor leagues. And as others have said, the UFL doesn’t make money because it doesn’t have national appeal. I strongly believe that the Michigan’s, Ohio State’s, and Alabama’s of the world need the giant network of a passionate national fanbase to make their product appealing. If they end up with 20 or 24 teams competing for a cup no one else cares about…then they no longer matter.
Oh I’m extremely anti super league and always have been

Reactions: CycloneSpinning

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Uh not me. Not to a lot of people around here. Did I know it was going to happen summer of ‘22, no, but was I shocked/caught of guard, absolutely not.

Were not clairvoyant, but I can read signals/tea leaves
Many people on here also immediately believe Dave wanstedt, Mhiver etc, throw enough things at the wall and one of them will stick.

I was absolutely shocked at the timing especially since the media deal was basically wrapped up at the time.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not for the schools that are regularly supplying the NFL with talent, they will be just fine. I guarantee you the NFL loves being able to add 100 guys every year who are immediately ready to play. They get ready by having access to top level support staff and facilities.

Feel free to come back when the NFL is playing regularly on Saturdays and tell me I’m wrong but it’s not happening anytime soon.
I think the schools that put the most players in the NFL are going to have prime slots and channels on Saturday even if the NFL keeps creeping in. While splitting off regional NFL games a bit to get a few more nationally covered beats most college games, there are still going to enough prime slots for the biggest name CFB games, and it will be justified by viewership.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
You hurt the amount of money they make by cratering rankings and you lose support staff, coaching staff, facilities, etc.

The NFL has only one developmental pipeline compared to other sports and they aren’t going to seriously threaten it.
I think you are wrong, but who really knows. IMO NFL is coming for everything, there is currently the anti-trust suit dating back to the 60's, but I think they are challenging that now in the courts as it relates to "streaming" being exempt.

When streaming services start comparing showing Rutgers versus Northwestern at 2:30 on Saturday, versus the Bears and the Giants... its over.

Didn't the NFL just come for the NBA?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think you are wrong, but who really knows. IMO NFL is coming for everything, there is currently the anti-trust suit dating back to the 60's, but I think they are challenging that now in the courts as it relates to "streaming" being exempt.

When streaming services start comparing showing Rutgers versus Northwestern at 2:30 on Saturday, versus the Bears and the Giants... its over.

Didn't the NFL just come for the NBA?
Coming after the NBA is completely differnet in my mind but yep they went after them hard

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I agree with this, but to that point…I don’t really want to belong to those types of clubs (or play their courses anyway). Won’t this be a situation where there is a portion of the country that is all in on this super league…but that ultimately they fall short of the viewership needed to justify the big dollars ESPN and Fox are paying/looking for in return?
Yeah, I’m not as concerned about a super league because college football will still exist and I think the super league will basically turn into rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

I actually think things like this settlement is the greater threat. For me, one of the major appeals to college sports is the idea that it’s students representing their classmates and the alumni against another school. But as you get farther from being students and closer to being professional athletes you lose that appeal.

I might be completely out of touch, but not requiring that the athletes be students is a red line for me and I think that’s the direction this is going.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
You hit the ratings and take over their spots and hurt the dollar value you hurt the development. This is a pretty stupid argument the NFL loves their relationship with having a free developmental league and won’t jeopardize that in any major way.
I don't think the NFL cares about "development" when it's the only meaningful, professional football league on the planet. The good talent is going to wind up there one way or another. There's nowhere else for it to go. Why not just adjust the draft longer and let high schoolers be drafted? They could prop up some of those as their next "dev league" instead. And not wait 3 years to get them drafted.

Would they take opportunities to add billions more to their media deals? Absolutely. I can certainly see it happening, just not today or tomorrow. Couple years down the road, maybe.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Yeah, I’m not as concerned about a super league because college football will still exist and I think the super league will basically turn into rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

I actually think things like this settlement is the greater threat. For me, one of the major appeals to college sports is the idea that it’s students representing their classmates and the alumni against another school. But as you get farther from being students and closer to being professional athletes you lose that appeal.

I might be completely out of touch, but not requiring that the athletes be students is a red line for me and I think that’s the direction this is going.
Yeah, I guess you likely don’t know until it’s too late. The moment the student body in large numbers stop responding to those “Committed!” photos with “Yes!” and start thinking “Entitled…”, you went too far.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The opposite is going to happen. At least the Big Ten and SEC are going to 110. They led the charge to ensure that you can have as many scholarships as you can roster spots.

I still don't think people are grasping the gulf that is going to exist between those two leagues and the next two. The P4 is a myth. It's the P2. This settlement also ensures that nobody is going to break away from the NCAA.

When they go to 110 football scholarships, 15 MBB scholarships, 17 WBB scholarships, 18 VB scholarships, 25 baseball scholarships and 30 softball scholarships, it's going to dilute that talent pool for everybody down below real quick.
I agree that there is going to be a gulf between the SEC/B10 and the B12/ACC, but I do not see them adding 25 more scholarships for football either. To do so would mean adding quite a few woman's sports to stay in compliance with Title IX, even though they have the money to do so, I just think that will be a step too far.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I agree that there is going to be a gulf between the SEC/B10 and the B12/ACC, but I do not see them adding 25 more scholarships for football either. To do so would mean adding quite a few woman's sports to stay in compliance with Title IX, even though they have the money to do so, I just think that will be a step too far.

Or drop a few men's Olympic sports, and use those scholarships for football instead.

That's going to be the big fear at a lot of schools.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Could provide specific examples of “all sorts of guys that transfer up for a reduced role”
Joseph Yesefu
Noah Carter
Jace Carter
Isiah Mosley
Terry Roberts

That's just from the last couple years from one league off the top of my head. Hell, we'll be able to add 5 or 6 guys from The Valley alone after this year (Cade Tyson, Ja'Kobi Gillespie, Connor Hickman, Jayson Kent, Alston Mason)...

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I don't think the NFL cares about "development" when it's the only meaningful, professional football league on the planet. The good talent is going to wind up there one way or another. There's nowhere else for it to go. Why not just adjust the draft longer and let high schoolers be drafted? They could prop up some of those as their next "dev league" instead. And not wait 3 years to get them drafted.

Would they take opportunities to add billions more to their media deals? Absolutely. I can certainly see it happening, just not today or tomorrow. Couple years down the road, maybe.
Letting high school players be drafted is kinda insane. They just aren’t physically ready to play in the NFL. There is a reason they require 3 years. The NFL doesn’t want to do the development they want ready made players.

They 100% care about development otherwise the product on the field will crater and they don’t want to absorb the cost of a developmental league when they get it for free.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The next really interesting ruling is going to be what the Dept of Ed rules on where Title IX sits in payments to athletes. These athletic departments are going to argue like hell that it doesn't apply.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE