SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Maybe she’s both?

giphy.gif

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Describe badly, can you sit there and watch it drip? All the time or just when running or right afterwards?

When it happened, I could sit there and watch it. Large puddle. Not quite "shooting out," but a consistent dribble.

I highly doubt it’s a mixture of oil and fuel. If that’s the case it probably wouldn’t be running at all.

I know part of it is gasoline. The smell makes that very evident. I was in the parking lot AT a car dealership when I noticed it, though I had noticed the gas smell for 2-3 days prior. (I was looking at used cars anyhow ... the car salesman is probably licking his chops assuming I'm 100% desperate for a new vehicle . . . he's not 100% wrong . . . He commented that it's prob. not safe to drive, so I left it there [at Bob Brown Buick/GMC] and someone came an picked me up.) The salesman was the one who commented that it looked like gas + oil leaking.

This

Have a 2000 Buick Century that started dumping coolant a little over a month back.

OP, what color is it?

The fluid looked 75% clear except for a dark spot in the middle. When touched, my finger has a brown tinge to it, like oil (I'm not a huge car guy but I know what motor oil looks like from putting it in my mower). Having said that, who knows how dirty the pavement was there, or how many prior leaks had dripped into that spot.

My strategy at this point is to call Bob Brown this AM and ask them if they would just take a look as a courtesy -- since it's already at their place.

• Funny
Reactions: flycy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This

Have a 2000 Buick Century that started dumping coolant a little over a month back.

OP, what color is it?

I want to say it was in the late 90's but Buick switched from using metal crushed gasket seals to plastic and they are notorious for leaking.

Reactions: khardbored

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
You haven’t lived until you’ve gotten behind the wheel of a fully paid off 2002 Kia Sedona.

Child please! I had an 03 Chevy Trailblazer that gave out free back massages at speeds greater than 55 MPH. The hardest part about having to trade that POS in was that it's damn hard to find a tape/cd combo deck.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
When you first said that you have to give it a little gas to start, that makes me think of a clogged or cracked fuel filter or possibly a hairline leak in your fuel line. Where is the leak? Directly below the engine or somewhere between the engine and the fuel tank? Google tells me that replacing a fuel filter on an '05 is easy but on an '06 it is inside the fuel tank as a part of the fuel pump.

You could be mistaking gunk coming out of your dirty fuel filter for oil if it is an '05.

Disclaimer: I only work on cars when I absolutely have to and am in no way qualified to give any real advice.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
OP: it's really hard to say what it is, leaks can be very deceiving. And you could have plain old water from the A/C mixing in there too. Have a pro take a look. For $150 you will know what is really going on.

"Brown" fluid could be transmission fluid, brake fluid, oil... even just grease and dirt mixing in with something else.

Fuel leaking is probably from a bad hose or pump - that is the "horse" answer as opposed to "zebras". This would be dangerous, but probably not fatal to the car in terms of repair cost.

Oil and coolant would be the head gasket leaking, and that would be a terminal illness.

I am with others wrt paid off cars. Even if it is POS, paying $1000 repair to get it to live another year is WAY cheaper than buying something else. Especially if you have had the vehicle a long time and know it's repair history, general reliability, etc.

Good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: NodawayRiverClone

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
When you first said that you have to give it a little gas to start, that makes me think of a clogged or cracked fuel filter or possibly a hairline leak in your fuel line. Where is the leak? Directly below the engine or somewhere between the engine and the fuel tank? Google tells me that replacing a fuel filter on an '05 is easy but on an '06 it is inside the fuel tank as a part of the fuel pump.

You could be mistaking gunk coming out of your dirty fuel filter for oil if it is an '05.

Disclaimer: I only work on cars when I absolutely have to and am in no way qualified to give any real advice.

I checked my registration, it's an '06.

The leak is pretty much right between the two front tires, centered. (give or take a foot.)

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I am with others wrt paid off cars. Even if it is POS, paying $1000 repair to get it to live another year is WAY cheaper than buying something else. Especially if you have had the vehicle a long time and know it's repair history, general reliability, etc

What if I live in my car?

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
My car today started leaking what looks like both oil and fuel, bad enough that I could see it visibly dripping under the car after shutting it off for about 5-7 minutes.

Another symptom is that to start it, I have to "give it a little gas" while the engine is turning over or it won't start (may or may not be related). It's been that way for 2+ years, but just within the last 2 days, noticeably worse.

Any guess what would cause that leaking issue, and, is it time to trade it in? 2005 (or 6?) Buick Rendezvous with about 140K miles.

This shouldn't be a difficult diagnosis. Just take it to a shop that is willing to put it up on the hoist -they should be able to spot the leak easily; you go from there.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Go with the folks who said it's in the fuel line or connections. Other stuff could be gunk or oil. Fix the fuel issue first before you have a fire. If the vehicle has been well cared for, you will want to keep it a little longer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron