Moving to Central Iowa

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
1. Bondurant
Does seem like the best place for convience. It is cheaper because of the tax abatement but they kinda of screened themselves. Built all these houses but collecting no tax for bigger schools and municipal upgrades. Just an ok school district and not much in town but close to Altoona. Only grocery store is a local owned one.

2. Ankeny
Second most convenient. Typically larger city life with everything you need. Traffic is usually not terrible depending on your location. Pretty good inventory of houses and decent schools. If I didn’t already live in Polk City, I’d choose Ankeny due to house prices. Good school district. Besides a few groceries and having a beer at the bar, we go to Ankeny for almost everything.

Polk City
Least convient location for your scenario. I live in PC and love it. 10 minutes to Ankeny, 20 to West Des Moines, 30 minutes to the airport or Ames. We love being right next to saylorville and big creek. We bought 5 years ago before PC really started growing. Prices for houses in Polk City are really inflated right now. Great school district. However based on the info you provided PC would not be as convient for you. Has a fareway in town and a few good places to eat. To get downtown it’s easiest to take 415 to 2nd ave and go straight down or hop on the interstate from there. On a good day with ok traffic you’re looking at 30 minutes +\- If PC would push your budget, Ankeny would be a better option and only 10 minutes away from big creek/saylorville. You never wanna put yourself in a situation where you’re house “rich” but cash poor.

I think this more or less hits it. I grew up in Polk City, considered moving back both times we bought houses but there weren't any available, so we bought in Ankeny and now we're anchored here with kids in school. The commute from Polk City can be a PITA in my opinion.

If I were you - working downtown, wife commuting north - I'd look hard at NE Ankeny, somewhere around or north of the 36th St interchange at I-35. The interstate accessibility is huge. And if you want the smaller North Polk schools, just buy a house north of NE 54th in Ankeny, which is the dividing line between the districts. (You could also consider Elkhart...small town, small school, very close to Ankeny.)

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I think this more or less hits it. I grew up in Polk City, considered moving back both times we bought houses but there weren't any available, so we bought in Ankeny and now we're anchored here with kids in school. The commute from Polk City can be a PITA in my opinion.

If I were you - working downtown, wife commuting north - I'd look hard at NE Ankeny, somewhere around or north of the 36th St interchange at I-35. The interstate accessibility is huge. And if you want the smaller North Polk schools, just buy a house north of NE 54th in Ankeny, which is the dividing line between the districts. (You could also consider Elkhart...small town, small school, very close to Ankeny.)

Agreed. They just put a stoplight in on 415 at 1st street. Well needed but they definitely are testing light timing schedules and need to get it figured out. No need to sit on 415 for a couple of minute in the evening with no one going east or west.

Elkhart is part of North Polk schools, with Polk City and Alleman.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
OP, I didn't see the length of time you were planning on staying. I know a family that moved just for the elementary school they wanted their kid to go to and the kid was in 3rd grade already. Moving into a different district for just a 2-3 year window doesn't see worth it to me (for elementary school). In addition, they were frustrated because of the lack of housing options. Each of your options offers +/- but it could help if you knew the strengths for the areas for the timeframe you will live there.

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
Ankeny

More nail salons, pizza joints, and stop and slurps per capita than any metro area city (but damn nice ones). Also getting a new "diverging diamond" interchange at I35 and 1st street. The plans remind me of the figure eight/demolition derby races. Missed opportunity for the biggest "Roundabout" in existence but whetever.
Seriously, Ankeny has grown and changed so much but in a good way. It just depends on what you're looking for in the way of "convenience." Still a great place to raise a family.

Help Support Us

Become a patron