Moving to Ankeny

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
Palmers Deli is excellent and it's right by the best and cheapest gym in town, Accel Fitness ($20/month). Both are near the corner of Ankeny Blvd. and 1st street.

HyVee is where we go.

Stix is a decent bar on Delaware, full of a lot of young chicky mammas, lots of pool tables, and a dance area to watch the chicky mammas shake their groove thing

Target is the best, my wife is one of those soccer moms and yes she has noticed a stare or two when bending over to get something on the bottom shelf. We won't go into a Walmart.

Eating and drinking at the Marina on 415 near Polk City is fun in the summer time. They have live music and you can eat/drink right on the water and stare at the "talent" in swimsuits.

Ankeny Summerfest usually has decent bands with a big beer garden area.

We love Ankeny.....absolutely lover living here.......

captain7cf

Dec 28, 2007
i love hearing BBW is coming to Ankeny.. i hate driving to west dsm to have it.... I heard that the construction across from the sports complex is going to have a Legends... that would be on the corner of 2nd Ave and 18th...

also i know a manager that works for best buy... its def on the books... it was tentatively scheduled to be this fall but because of the weather and a few other reasons he said he is guessing next spring or summer...

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Ankeny needs a decent gym like Prairie Life Fitness Center really bad. Also a Scheel's or ****'s would be awesome...MC Sports is just not worth my time. Lots of close golf courses. The new praire trail development could be a super nice addition to a growing town.
Posted via Mobile Device

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
Palmers Deli is excellent and it's right by the best and cheapest gym in town, Accel Fitness ($20/month). Both are near the corner of Ankeny Blvd. and 1st street.

HyVee is where we go.

Stix is a decent bar on Delaware, full of a lot of young chicky mammas, lots of pool tables, and a dance area to watch the chicky mammas shake their groove thing

Target is the best, my wife is one of those soccer moms and yes she has noticed a stare or two when bending over to get something on the bottom shelf. We won't go into a Walmart.

Eating and drinking at the Marina on 415 near Polk City is fun in the summer time. They have live music and you can eat/drink right on the water and stare at the "talent" in swimsuits.

Ankeny Summerfest usually has decent bands with a big beer garden area.

We love Ankeny.....absolutely lover living here.......
I apologize.

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Couple more questions:
Where is the Anytime Fitness located?
Where is a good place to catch a Cubs game- a place that always has it on, and you don't have to ask?

The other night Old Chicago in Ankeny had the Cubs Pirates 15 inning game on tv - I assume they might have some comcast cubs package....plus being Old Chicago....

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Ankeny Target has some of the best quality soccer moms in the Metro area. Ankeny Wal-Mart has some of the youngest teen-mothers you will ever see...

First sentence is right on!!! Second sentence you're wrong, Altoona's Super Wal-Mart takes the cake for young teen moms and women with facial hair....I'm not lying!!!

Ankeny is great, the wife and I hope to move back there sometime in the near future. We like Altoona, but miss Ankeny.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I agree. It's really no surprise when you look at the problems that Home Depot has had at the upper management level.

Here's how funny Home Depot is, my cousin works part-time there to pass the time. He use to work construction for a lumber yard in high school and college, so he knows his lumber....they have him in plumbing in which he knows nothing about.

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny

His salary is MORE than when he worked for the 'man?' When I owned my own business my take home pay was usually petty cash with a fraction of what I made in salary from the 'man' once a week...which is the reason I now work for the 'man' again-steady paychecks, actual paid vacation time and someone else paying for my insurance and retirement.

Needless to say I'll be ordering a Harrington pizza from there tonight for the family though. I'd cry if they went out of business.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
2. I vehemently disagree with you on Panchero's. Chipotle quality is much worse. Pancero's actually makes the tortilla while you are standing there.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me why to support this Hawkeye loving dump when there's other viable options.

kralon20

Apr 11, 2006
What about a local gym? I like them quiet, without the flash, where people stay out of your business. I worked out at Beyer when I was student, if that tells you anything. Just give me your standard free-weight equipment and an elliptical and I'm good.

I don't want to workout next to someone who had to check their hair and put on clean clothes before they headed to the gym, if you get where I'm coming from.

We use Snap Fitness on Oralabor (same strip mall as Rookies). Free-weights, machines, treadmills, etc. Nothing pretentious about it. Ashley worked out a deal for us to have a membership over the winter months. You get a key card so you can go whenever you want 24/hrs.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Originally Posted by psychlone99
Couple more questions:
Where is a good place to catch a Cubs game- a place that always has it on, and you don't have to ask?
As it should be. No Cub fans should ever leave their basement. :biglaugh:

That's fine as with me as long as the Cards fans stay in the closet.