Mortgage/Retirement question

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think the rule of thumb is that a reasonably low rate mortgage is essentially freeing up money to put into higher yielding vehicles like 401k-indexy type funds

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Don’t ever defer below what your Employer will match (doesn’t sound like you were considering that anyway)

As someone who paid off their mortgage early (within the last year), this was my thinking in deciding to do so.

Yes, my interest rate rocked and it was cheap money, but I am personally not comfortable assuming anything with the markets or economy going forward will be anything similar to historic trends. Why? Unprecedented deficit levels at all levels of governments. We have never been in this situation before so we have nothing to gauge against on what this could mean if/when things go sideways.

I haven’t stopped investing in the markets (I do know people I respect that have), but I did decide that one sure “investment” was paying off my house. There was no downside and if things go poorly, I will be in a much better position if my investments all tank (as painful as that will be) , but I will at least no longer be hamstrung with a mortgage payment….and instead, will have that extra cash flow. That is a pretty powerful position to be in comparatively speaking. No one can take that away from you.

I say if you have the means, pay it off. We are in different times IMHO fiscally and politically. You’ll appreciate the peace of mind. You can’t put a “lost opportunity cost” on that.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Guess you brother does not put a value on peace of mind, or consider risk.

His brother is human

His livelihood was based on people investing in the markets, not tying up their money in their home.

In one scenario he gets paid. In the other he does not.

That is not a knock on his brother, it is human nature that you’ll tend to be bias toward a POV that supports what you do for a living.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Speaking of retirement, I found this spreadsheet to be excellent. Once you hit 100%, you're ready to retire. If you want to plug in your own numbers, you'll need to make a copy since the person who created this has it in view only mode. Remove the dash in front of https

-https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18enyW-HloGFmLvH1pcVpEJDIQ0MKXJug5BYt456k7Y8/edit?usp=sharing

D

Deleted member 8507

Speaking of retirement, I found this spreadsheet to be excellent. Once you hit 100%, you're ready to retire. If you want to plug in your own numbers, you'll need to make a copy since the person who created this has it in view only mode. Remove the dash in front of https

-https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18enyW-HloGFmLvH1pcVpEJDIQ0MKXJug5BYt456k7Y8/edit?usp=sharing

OK, I was just messing with that sheet. It is a good start but it needs refinement. It ONLY works if you are in your twenties as it is hard coded to 40 years of employment from the current input point. I am in my 50's and don't plan on working another 40 years. I do like a few of the features they put in and will incorporate those into my spreadsheets.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
OK, I was just messing with that sheet. It is a good start but it needs refinement. It ONLY works if you are in your twenties as it is hard coded to 40 years of employment from the current input point. I am in my 50's and don't plan on working another 40 years. I do like a few of the features they put in and will incorporate those into my spreadsheets.

Yes, I noticed that if you want to retire at lets says 63, it still keeps putting in retirement savings even though you will no longer contributing. I also notice that the social security/pension number you put at the bottom doesn't do anything, which I like to do anyway.

• Creative
Reactions: cyfreddy

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Interesting. Would you still need to adjust for inflation somehow or is it in there? If you're 25, with approximately 2% inflation, the $ number you'd need at retirement would be double from what it is now.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Interesting. Would you still need to adjust for inflation somehow or is it in there? If you're 25, with approximately 2% inflation, the $ number you'd need at retirement would be double from what it is now.

It says inflation is not factored in, which is a big deal. I used a separate inflation calculator to guess the income I will need around retirement.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It really shows how much just a 1% higher rate of return makes per year.

I reach 100% at the following ages:

4%=69 years old
5%=67
6%=63
10%=58

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It really shows how much just a 1% higher rate of return makes per year.

I reach 100% at the following ages:

4%=69 years old
5%=67
6%=63
10%=58

Yeah, it's kind of why I still don't pay much attention to the calculators at age 34 because those assumed %s make so much difference. I'm going to have enough money for retirement sometime between age 50-80 depending on what percentages I use.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'll echo what others are saying, put as much as you can into retirement and make minimum payments on your mortgage. It just makes sense mathematically.

Fun tool to play around with is this retirement calculator. I plug in 7% rate return when I do my figures. I figure I'll get around a 10% return, and then deduct 3% to account for inflation.
https://www.daveramsey.com/smartvestor/investment-calculator

Right now I contribute 15% to my roth 401k, and my employer contributes 6% pretax. Every 6 months I up my % by 1 so its easy to adjust to. Asking these questions means you're probably already doing a good job, so kudos to you.

Reactions: Doc

CprE84

Mar 31, 2006
Austin, TX

Not a bad spreadsheet, but it does make a very big assumption - that your retirement savings accounts are your only source of retirement income. I am mid-50s and I have a fair amount more in real estate than in my combined retirement accounts. I also have a good chuck in a taxable E*Trade account. I do think you should only use "liquid / investible" assets for this kind of spreadsheet, so probably any equity in your primary residence should be excluded since it probably won't generate income for your retirement ( I know you can do things like reverse mortgage, but that generally is not a good idea).

However, many people that are approaching retirement have savings outside of their 401K / IRA - taxable investment accounts / stocks / bonds / real estate / etc. The income from those accounts needs to be factored into the amount that can be used to generate income in retirement. I also think the 4% withdrawal rate is something that you can play with as it is pretty conservative, and some people will be OK with having their total savings gradually decline over time as long as it remains > 0 until their most optimistic longevity estimate.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'll echo what others are saying, put as much as you can into retirement and make minimum payments on your mortgage. It just makes sense mathematically.

Fun tool to play around with is this retirement calculator. I plug in 7% rate return when I do my figures. I figure I'll get around a 10% return, and then deduct 3% to account for inflation.
https://www.daveramsey.com/smartvestor/investment-calculator

Right now I contribute 15% to my roth 401k, and my employer contributes 6% pretax. Every 6 months I up my % by 1 so its easy to adjust to. Asking these questions means you're probably already doing a good job, so kudos to you.
It's even more crucial to maximize your time when you plug in a more conservative 5.5% rate of return.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneGuy8

allday4cy

Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
looks like baby steps 4,5, and 6 right there. Do 15% into Roth 401k and pay everything else toward the mortgage. Get that bad boy paid off quick. Max out all retirement once that is done and good growth mutual funds if you have more to invest. Don't thank me, thank Dave!

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

I find it interesting that people are comfortable enough in our political climate as well as record gov’t deficits to simply rely on “mathematics” to make such a decision. I would suggest you need to look at this much deeper. This isn’t your father’s world (as the old saying goes).

Heck…you could be right and all will go as it has in the past and you’ll be fine. What give you confidence that this will be the case though?

If it doesn’t, not having that large outlay of cash every month will be a big benefit. It seems to me that erring on the side of caution with this decision makes a ton of sense….even if it didn’t for past generations.

Reactions: Cyclone06 and Doc

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I find it interesting that people are comfortable enough in our political climate as well as record gov’t deficits to simply rely on “mathematics” to make such a decision. I would suggest you need to look at this much deeper. This isn’t your father’s world (as the old saying goes).

Heck…you could be right and all will go as it has in the past and you’ll be fine. What give you confidence that this will be the case though?

If it doesn’t, not having that large outlay of cash every month will be a big benefit. It seems to me that erring on the side of caution with this decision makes a ton of sense….even if it didn’t for past generations.

A risk - reward scenario.

Let me get out my calculator to run the numbers....

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
Many times I've found that people ask if they should pay an extra payment a year on their mortgage or put that into retirement, and the answer is always retirement. In your scenario I'd say the same thing probably.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cyclones01

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
A risk - reward scenario.

Let me get out my calculator to run the numbers....

So you discount (or disregard) the risk that we could be headed into unpresented economic times in the future?

That is fine as long as you do so with your eyes wide open. I’m just trying to understand your point here.