Morneno vs. Taylor NWCA All-Star Classic

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
[h=1]Per Intermat...
Main Event Match Results:
[/h]125: No. 3 Nahshon Garrett (Cornell) dec. No. 5 Jarrod Patterson (Oklahoma), 6-1 SV
133: No. 10 Mason Beckman (Lehigh) dec. No. 4 A.J. Schopp (Edinboro), 5-1
157: No. 10 Joey Napoli (Lehigh) dec. No. 13 Nestor Taffur (Boston U.), 2-1
184: No. 3 Jimmy Sheptock (Maryland) dec. No. 5 Jake Swartz (Boise State), 3-1 SV
197: No. 1 Taylor Meeks (Oregon State) dec. No. 2 Scott Schiller (Minnesota), 6-4 SV
285: No. 1 Tony Nelson (Minnesota) dec. No. 2 Mike McMullan (Northwestern), 2-1 TB
165: No. 1 David Taylor (Penn State) maj. dec. No. 4 Michael Moreno (Iowa State), 13-2
174: No. 1 Andrew Howe (Oklahoma) dec. No. 3 Matt Brown (Penn State), 4-3
141: No. 1 (at 133) Tony Ramos (Iowa) dec. No. 3 Devin Carter (Virginia Tech), 5-3 SV
149: No. 1 (at 141) Logan Stieber (Ohio State) dec. No. 1 Kendric Maple (Oklahoma), 6-4 TB

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Considering Taylor pins or tech falls everybody he wrestles not named Kyle Dake, that's not a bad result for Moreno. He went 7 minutes with Taylor, that's a victory within itself

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
Considering Taylor pins or tech falls everybody he wrestles not named Kyle Dake, that's not a bad result for Moreno. He went 7 minutes with Taylor, that's a victory within itself

I would agree with this. He could have easily folded and got pinned or tech'd. That's a win.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I would agree with this. He could have easily folded and got pinned or tech'd. That's a win.

Yeah I mean at 165 this year it's going to be a battle for 2nd place. Taylor will destroy everybody in his path. Moreno will have another year to get more experience and improve and hopefully get back on the medal stand at nationals and move up. Then next year as a senior with Taylor gone, Moreno will be a contender for a national title

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
Yeah I mean at 165 this year it's going to be a battle for 2nd place. Taylor will destroy everybody in his path. Moreno will have another year to get more experience and improve and hopefully get back on the medal stand at nationals and move up. Then next year as a senior with Taylor gone, Moreno will be a contender for a national title

Absolutely. Better for Mike to wrestle a guy like Taylor now before the season starts to see where he is technically.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Great point about not getting pinned. Just hope the matchups at NCAA's work out for him so he doesn't see Taylor too early.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

He got seven minutes of film of him vs. Taylor. And whatever anyone thinks about Jackson, he is a hell of a tactician. When it comes to individual matchups with time to prepare our guys always have a game plan that gives them a a chance to succeed. If Moreno makes it to the finals in March (or meets Taylor in the semis) that film will be invaluable.

Last edited:

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
He got seven minutes of film of him vs. Taylor. And whatever anyone thinks about Jackson, he is a hell of a tactician. When it comes to individual matchups with time to prepare our guys always have a game plan and outperform. If Moreno makes it to the finals in March (or meets Taylor in the semis) that film will be invaluable.

Sure will. By that point he would have had a full season of matches and will be at peaking point.

Help Support Us

Become a patron