More opportunities for ISU branding

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This idea isn't branding related, but kind of is as it is game day atmosphere related, which also could look good on TV. I believe one of the best game day things added in the recent past is the addition of the tornado siren after scores. It's fun, unique, and relates well to a Cyclone. However, in addition to that, myself and my friends put our hands in the air, all while making a circular cyclone/tornado swirling motion while the siren blares. You can get your hips into it too. Maybe I'm wrong, but we think it's fun, looks cool, is unique, and everyone around us seems to get a kick out of us doing it. Sometimes we even get others to join. Now imagine if the whole stadium did that and what that would look like in person and also on TV. To my knowledge, nobody does anything even close to that.

As much as I hate hearing it when Iowa is playing in Ames, I agree. The tornado siren is pretty badass.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Iowa State University was the main feature for Season 3 about a year ago on a HULU show, Future Man. The I-State logo was everywhere!

CAST
  • Josh Hutcherson
  • Eliza Coupe
  • Derek Wilson
  • Haley Joel Osment
  • Seth Rogen

Is this Haven?

No, it’s Iowa State University.
Ok. Now really curious. How did ISU get this gig? I mean on the Season 3 Official Trailer "I've become the best version of myself". We must have in there somewhere.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
More Future Man:
Ok. Now really curious. How did ISU get this gig? I mean on the Season 3 Official Trailer "I've become the best version of myself". We must have in there somewhere.

Just have to say, Wolf (Derek Wilson) on Future Man is freaking hilarious.

Reactions: merx

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
For the Jack Trice logo, I get that the design was used by tons of teams back in the day. But, we've kind of branded it now. I'd like to see small lettering underneath it that just says "Trice". Still understated, but a little more personalized to ISU.

One of my ideas in my notebook was having the stripes read T R I C E instead of having the words underneath. One of these days I'll have to transfer the ideas into photoshop and throw some stuff together.

Mostly good ideas, but I couldn't imagine the backlash if the Athletic Department tried to promote Beyond Meat. It'd be like University of Wisconsin promoting margarine and almond milk.

Major meat producer such as Tyson were early investors in these kind of companies. I'm trying to think of a story I read a long time ago about a company that had an extremely successful product and dominant market position, yet they had a specific group of internal employees tasked with trying to kill their product by creating a competitor. Maybe this rings a bell for someone?

"Since ISU didn't take my suggestion to create a giant glass cylinder with an actual tornado in the NEZ ..."

Did you actually "officially" pitch that idea? It might be my favorite idea on your list.

Not that one, no. I'm just a deranged person gibbering on the street corner in my bathrobe.

Also, the Trice stripes may be generic, but ISU shouldn't allow that to inhibit their use.

The winged football helmet is generic, inspired by old leather helmet design, and used by many high schools and colleges. But everyone associates it with Michigan football, due to 1) success and 2) marketing.

Correct. Like I said, it's great. I've been pushing this for a long time, but I'm just a random idiot. The power comes from collective action and adoption. Actually, I'm pretty sure my Kagavi x ISU Pendleton Woolen Mills blanket many years ago was actually the first five stripe-type design proposed to ISU licensing.

My preference would be to keep pushing the envelope and once a truly iconic image is created, ISU ought to make 100% of profits from merch sales go directly to worthwhile charities or scholarships that perpetuate the message of Jack Trice to "do more" in life.

Maybe if people are interested, I'll do a long story on my site centered around this uniform history and new design ideas?

A logo on a polo isn't a brand/identity ... A logo isn't a brand. People acknowledging you wearing an ISU logo doesn't mean they have any kind of perception, knowledge, or care about what ISU football is. Sorry.

This is kind of the direction I was going. I'm not asking if people know about Iowa State, I'm asking what comes to mind after.

The only thing I strongly disagree with is feeling we need to change up the I State logo with the black and white uniforms. The best uniforms for any program are ones that are established through tradition of winning. ISU has consistently struggled getting an identity in this manner, and have constantly cycled through different looks as we try to put previous losing regimes behind us. We are finally starting to establish a look associated with winning. I just don't understand why you would mess with that.

Introducing fun secondary looks doesn't equal changing the primary mark. You have to keep things fresh and keep driving interest. The collective attention span of our hyperconnected world is too short these days.

Take Coca-Cola, which has had a similar logo for a long time--but they constantly change the packaging, thematic elements, and partner with other designers.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I like those European soccer chants wish we could get something like that for inside Trice/Hilton for when things need to get rocking.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
@Kagavi makes things happen!

The blanket is folded in half in this photo.

Attachments

• ABDB1B3D-52E3-440E-BD28-7209C600167D.jpeg
    ABDB1B3D-52E3-440E-BD28-7209C600167D.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 37
  • C064834A-81FF-4FE2-BE9F-2B223E0ECE93.jpeg
    C064834A-81FF-4FE2-BE9F-2B223E0ECE93.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: cyadict

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
CF9B357F-00E1-4F83-BF96-AB1C82B53AF9.jpeg

To the people that don’t think ISU’s “Brand” is anything and people on “the coast” don’t know about us... They do.. and they are buying into the process.

But you keep bashing.... there will be room on the wagon come January.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
View attachment 85722

To the people that don’t think ISU’s “Brand” is anything and people on “the coast” don’t know about us... They do.. and they are buying into the process.

But you keep bashing.... there will be room on the wagon come January.

I mean he only "likes" Iowa State because Iowa fans were bashing him on Twitter when Iowa played Mississippi State in a bowl game a few years ago. But I do agree that people do recognize and know more about Iowa State outside of the Midwest and big 12 County more than most of us probably realize.

Reactions: I@ST1

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I love the idea of an in-stadium drone with footage played on the video board. As for a drone swarm, the technology would be a challenge to scale up to something large. But maybe a hologram or something for night games?

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
Lol. I'm trying to make this simple for you. ISU's logo is not ISU's brand. What is ISU's brand is the immediate impression/expectation that people have of the ISU program upon seeing the ISU logo. A subtle distinction, but an important one. Sorry, it's just true.

When you see the VANS logo, what comes to mind? I'd bet for most it's funky/edgy shoes and apparel for kids on skateboards. That's the VANS brand, a lifestyle. Not the logo. In sports its not as cut and dry because there aren't ad/brand campaigns being shoved in peoples' faces, but it still exists. When you see the Bama logo, what comes to mind? I'd say for most it would be dominance, speed, athletic freaks, and probably more than anything, Nick Saban. That's Bama's brand. Not the logo. In college sports it's likely going to be a program's style of play, reputation, or very identifiable head coach.

Yes, a logo is an important part of your advertising and branding. And like I said, this is not a bash on ISU. I'd say the same is mostly true for Iowa. That gets back to my initial point in all this, which was that most people in SEC country or ACC country or PAC country probably don't view ISU football as "dull and unexciting" because they don't view ISU/Iowa as anything beyond being universities somewhere in the middle that have football teams.

Sure this can change, but like you said, establishing brand identity/awareness/perception is a process that takes a long time.

Unfortunately, as someone who hasn't lived in Iowa for over 10 years and has been on a coast, this is pretty accurate. People literally can't even point out Iowa on a map.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Unfortunately, as someone who hasn't lived in Iowa for over 10 years and has been on a coast, this is pretty accurate. People literally can't even point out Iowa on a map.

Then they are idiots.. It’s sad if someone cannot point out any state on a map. I truly feel bad for them.

Not knowing where states are has nothing to do with Iowa State/sports...

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
Then they are idiots.. It’s sad if someone cannot point out any state on a map. I truly feel bad for them.

Not knowing where states are has nothing to do with Iowa State/sports...

It is what it is, just letting you know a perspective from out of state.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In full reality, there are less sports fans out there then we think. People on here are ISU fans and what you consider hardcore.

You walk down the street and you ask random people what UCLA stands for and you will get a lot of I don’t know. Ask who won the NCAA basketball championship and well less than half will know or remember. Many won’t even know where Baylor is located. Rutgers is the same way, most will give you a shrug of the shoulders.

Besides the regionalism of college athletics, most just don’t follow sports as closely as people on this board.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron