Monte Morris on the Wooden Award Midseason Top 25

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I have no problem with Morris being on the list, he deserves to be. So does Jackson at this point Thats all. And I suspect that the occassional bad games by both players will result in neither of them being on the final list of 10 players that is released during the tourney.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
I have no problem with Morris being on the list, he deserves to be. So does Jackson at this point Thats all. And I suspect that the occassional bad games by both players will result in neither of them being on the final list of 10 players that is released during the tourney.

As a fan, it is unfortunate that Morris is not on the watch list for the Wooden Award. It should be noted, however, that in the B12 Morris is only 2nd in win-shares to Frank Mason.

But KenPom's player of the year algorithm rates Josh Jackson pretty high, so it is really hard to complain too much about Josh Jackson about being on the list.

If I have any issues with the list, it is with the guards that were included: De'Aron Fox, Malik Monk, Melo Trimble, and Markelle Fultz. These players are only on the list because of the 1) amount of media attention they receive and/or 2) their high NBA prospects.

I would love to know the 20-person panel on Wooden Award "blue ribbon National Advisory Board" that nominates the final 15 players because they don't always seem to be choose the best players or adhere to the award's criteria (i.e. contributions to team play & citizenship). It always seems like a popularity contest.

I digress, carry on.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I guess I didn't realize that Monte's minutes are down to 32.4 per game, from 38 last season. I thought he was still playing 35+. We've heard so much about him never getting fatigued in a game, I wouldn't have thought his minutes would have gone down nearly 15% on a team that is on the losing end of so many games by the last shot.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
As a fan, it is unfortunate that Morris is not on the watch list for the Wooden Award. It should be noted, however, that in the B12 Morris is only 2nd in win-shares to Frank Mason.

But KenPom's player of the year algorithm rates Josh Jackson pretty high, so it is really hard to complain too much about Josh Jackson about being on the list.

If I have any issues with the list, it is with the guards that were included: De'Aron Fox, Malik Monk, Melo Trimble, and Markelle Fultz. These players are only on the list because of the 1) amount of media attention they receive and/or 2) their high NBA prospects.

I would love to know the 20-person panel on Wooden Award "blue ribbon National Advisory Board" that nominates the final 15 players because they don't always seem to be choose the best players or adhere to the award's criteria (i.e. contributions to team play & citizenship). It always seems like a popularity contest.

I digress, carry on.
Monk is one of the bestshooters in the game. He deserves to be there. Fultz is fantastic as well but I would leave him off due to how terrible his team is. Fox? Meh, he's overhyped as you say.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Monk is one of the bestshooters in the game. He deserves to be there. Fultz is fantastic as well but I would leave him off due to how terrible his team is. Fox? Meh, he's overhyped as you say.

I think they are all great players, but I am primarily questioning the criteria on which some these players get on award list.

My main point with Fox and Monk is that they are on there because they play for Kentucky and Calipari- they get a lot of media attention. Put either of those players on let's say Virginia, Florida, or West Virginia and I bet we don't see them make the list.

p.s. I think is great that a players like the Marcus Keene's or the Kay Felder's of the world make these list.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Who is going to win the Wooden Award? Probably somebody from a NCAA ass kissing school like KU behind their name. Let's forget about collective merits.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I think they are all great players, but I am primarily questioning the criteria on which some these players get on award list.

My main point with Fox and Monk is that they are on there because they play for Kentucky and Calipari- they get a lot of media attention. Put either of those players on let's say Virginia, Florida, or West Virginia and I bet we don't see them make the list.

p.s. I think is great that a players like the Marcus Keene's or the Kay Felder's of the world make these list.
"Players only get on these lists because they are from big name schools"....

"PS. Its cool these guys from nobody schools make the list."

Eh...

Again, Monk is scoring 21 a game and had 47 against Top 5 Carolina. No idea why you think he is only o the list due to being at UK. The list contains many players from non-power teams.

If Virginia, Florida or West Virginia had a player averaging 21 a game, they would be on this list, too.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Who is going to win the Wooden Award? Probably somebody from a NCAA ass kissing school like KU behind their name. Let's forget about collective merits.
Who has more collective merits than the current Wooden Award favorites Mason, Hart, Swanigan and Ball?

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX

Eh...

Again, Monk is scoring 21 a game and had 47 against Top 5 Carolina. No idea why you think he is only o the list due to being at UK. The list contains many players from non-power teams.

If Virginia, Florida or West Virginia had a player averaging 21 a game, they would be on this list, too.
Congrats on your 1 game home winning streak!

• Funny
Reactions: carvers4math

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Morris is a more efficient player. The other players are more of a scoring guard to me. I think Morris will have a more stable career after college than most of the other players.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth

Eh...

1) My point is that it is laughable to include the "token" small program player to show that they really care about mid-major players- it is like the Rooney rule for CBB player awards. Give me more players like Marcus Keene, Alec Peters, Semi Ojeleye, or Jock Landale.

2) Another, is I just question or am really curious about the committee that selects the finalists. What is the representation and affiliation of this committee? Ultimately, the media decides on the winner (which has problems as well). Monk probably belongs on the list, but I think we are the past the era where points/game or single game performance argument really holds water if you are good player.

3) Lastly, with many awards it is just a bunch of BS. There are 6 criteria for the Wooden Award are here are 3:
  • Candidates must exhibit strength of character, both on and off the court.
  • Candidates should be those who contribute to team effort.
  • Candidates must excel in both offense and defense.
I wonder what they actually use to evaluate "strength of character, both on and off the court" or how much it is weighted in the criteria. I would like to see more emphasis on 2-way players rather than seemingly scoring leaders based on 2017 finalists and winners from previous years. Also, statistics like PER, Win-shares, and Box +/- should be valued in player performance too. That's all.