Mods over-reaching?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Let's just all agree to be nice, hate the Hawks and vote Democrat. Life can only get better from following those three simple rules

and support terrorism at the same time. Oh wait the war on terror does not exist does it Mr. John Edwards. :biggrin9gp:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Okay, so we've had the Airing of the Grievances against the moderators. When are the Feats of Strength? :biggrin9gp:

Heck I have had probably as many posts modified/deleted as anyone. I have no grievances against the mods. They do a pretty damn good job, we have not had the controversy here like I have seen on most boards that have had this level of growth. Most of the stuff they have deleted has probably crossed the line, and deserved to be deleted. Especially with that 22 guy...but I cannot wait to meet him, he owes me a beer!

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Okay, so we've had the Airing of the Grievances against the moderators. When are the Feats of Strength? :biggrin9gp:

I didn't realize that the format of CF was "moderators against everyone else." It seems that we're all here to enjoy posting and reading about the Cyclones and whatever other topics that pique our interest. That goes a whole lot better when people keep it relatively clean and don't take too many personal swipes at fellow Fanatics.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it makes a lot more sense to air your grievances to the moderators directly rather than creating a thread that creates animosity between the mods and the rank and file posters. Just my two cents on the issue...

For the same reason all the Cubs fans don't just PM each other - this is a semi-public forum and issues happening for one individual tend to be happening for others. If that were'nt the case this thread would have died from lack of interest in the first couple hours.

The mods are good people, but a little assessment from the minions every once in a while keeps everyone honest.

The fact that this thread wasn't removed immediately was and expected, but pleasent reaffrimation that the mods are free-thinking types who'll let this conversation take place. Not speaking about the recent rash of deletions would have only pent up the disgruntled typists and led to more subject highjackage.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
For the same reason all the Cubs fans don't just PM each other - this is a semi-public forum and issues happening for one individual tend to be happening for others. If that were'nt the case this thread would have died from lack of interest in the first couple hours.

The mods are good people, but a little assessment from the minions every once in a while keeps everyone honest.

The fact that this thread wasn't removed immediately was and expected, but pleasent reaffrimation that the mods are free-thinking types who'll let this conversation take place. Not speaking about the recent rash of deletions would have only pent up the disgruntled typists and led to more subject highjackage.
You make a good point. I guess I don't have a problem with a thread bringing up some legitimate concerns about how the mods are deleting posts. I was just disappointed to see it turn into a forum for people to post their "Ten Things I Hate about the Moderators" lists (figuratively speaking, that is).

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
My number one of only two complaints about Cyclonefanatic.com is the moderators and their God complexes. I don't know how they became mods... was it the buddy buddy system or was it the I post 470 times a day so I get to be a Mod, but yeah. All and all I agree with the original post.

For what it's worth I didn't read the 44 replies to the original post because I don't have time.

There goes what little "rep" I had left, which happens to be my number 2 complaint.

Go Cyclones!

Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I was just disappointed to see it turn into a forum for people to post their "Ten Things I Hate about the Moderators" lists (figuratively speaking, that is).

Personally, I'd go the "How to Lose A Moderator in 10 days" route myself. :rofl8yi:

(On a side note, it scares me that I know about that many chick flicks...oh the price us guys pay)

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think sending a message to Jeremy would be much more effective than complaining about it here in public. Or even to a mod that you do trust and they'll pass it on. I've mentioned some issues I've had in the past a few times privately and they were probably taken care of privately not out in the open like this.

This is an excellent post. I don't personally care so much if it's mentioned in the general forums, but it's best to take up any personal issues you have with something by either reporting an isolated post (at which time you can explain why you're reporting it) or by PM'ing a mod. I am personally fine with people PM'ing me - in fact, I encourage and welcome it. We can do more if you contact us directly - and feel free to post a thread asking how to PM, or use the Help system if you don't know how to do it. The whole point of this site is that it's supposed to welcome all Cyclone fans to a place where they can talk freely - not to have petty squabbles.

As far as this being a high-handed, God complex moderator-dictatorship - I think everyone has their own style. I'm personally really liberal and open to free speech - if you want to say something about me, go ahead. I've had a lot tougher things happen in my life than someone not like me on a message board. However, the point that jbhtexas brough up about inapporpriate posts of a sexual or degrading nature is something where we must draw the line. While most people visiting this site are adults, we have a large number of young Cyclone fans as members. They don't need to read members calling each other homophobic slurs or referring to each other as used feminine hygiene devices. They will NOT have to wade through posts of a sexual nature, or (even worse) pictures of the same type of content.

When you sign up for this site, there are a list of rules to which you consent. If you post grotesque or inappropriate things, it can and WILL be deleted, and (according to the site rules) there may or may not be any warning (I personally try to delete the message and leave a note why, but that doesn't always happen). Use common sense when posting. Say whatever you want to, just use some common courtesy and think about whether or not you would want your child, grandchild, or niece/nephew reading or seeing it. The same goes for moderators - and, as C.John said, make sure to report posts that you don't think are appropriate - no matter who the poster was.